Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take Risks and Don't Be an Art Major

Lightbulb Take Risks and Don't Be an Art Major

This is the best article I've read in a long time. I'm definitely buying this book when it comes out next month. And since this guy is an old business partner of Romeny, it shows us how Romney thinks.

With that in mind, I recently met Edward Conard on 57th Street and Madison Avenue, just outside his office at Bain Capital, the private-equity firm he helped build into a multibillion-dollar business by buying, fixing up and selling off companies at a profit. Conard, who retired a few years ago at 51, is not merely a member of the 1 percent. He’s a member of the 0.1 percent. His wealth is most likely in the hundreds of millions; he lives in an Upper East Side town house just off Fifth Avenue; and he is one of the largest donors to his old boss and friend, Mitt Romney.

Unlike his former colleagues, Conard wants to have an open conversation about wealth. He has spent the last four years writing a book that he hopes will forever change the way we view the superrich’s role in our society. “Unintended Consequences: Why Everything You’ve Been Told About the Economy Is Wrong,” to be published in hardcover next month by Portfolio, aggressively argues that the enormous and growing income inequality in the United States is not a sign that the system is rigged. On the contrary, Conard writes, it is a sign that our economy is working. And if we had a little more of it, then everyone, particularly the 99 percent, would be better off.

More...
    A central problem with the U.S. economy, he told me, is finding a way to get more people to look for solutions despite these terrible odds of success. Conard’s solution is simple. Society benefits if the successful risk takers get a lot of money. For proof, he looks to the market. At a nearby table we saw three young people with plaid shirts and floppy hair. For all we know, they may have been plotting the next generation’s Twitter, but Conard felt sure they were merely lounging on the sidelines. “What are they doing, sitting here, having a coffee at 2:30?” he asked. “I’m sure those guys are college-educated.” Conard, who occasionally flashed a mean streak during our talks, started calling the group “art-history majors,” his derisive term for pretty much anyone who was lucky enough to be born with the talent and opportunity to join the risk-taking, innovation-hunting mechanism but who chose instead a less competitive life. In Conard’s mind, this includes, surprisingly, people like lawyers, who opt for stable professions that don’t maximize their wealth-creating potential. He said the only way to persuade these “art-history majors” to join the fiercely competitive economic mechanism is to tempt them with extraordinary payoffs.
    Basically, Conard's point boils down to the fact that the 99% benefits more from the investment income of the 1% than the 1% benefits from their own investment income. For every $1 a rich person makes from investments, he says, everybody else gets $20. The best thing we can do for the economy is find a way to let the rich keep more of what they make, which will benefit the rest of us twentyfold.

Read the whole thing. I promise it will improve your mood and make you smile.

I can't find a list of the people in this photo, but I'm guessing that Conard is one of them.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

I feel bad no one commented on this ClydeR thread. The article is actually interesting as all hell, some of what Conard says really makes sense and some of it doesn't, but the guy is obviously incredibly intelligent with a pretty fascinating worldview.

3. Default

More like the guy is completely oblivious to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    More like the guy is completely oblivious to the real world.
    Did you read the whole article?

I thought the way that he described "trickle down" was a lot more interesting than how it's usually laid out. I mean--I fucking hate "trickle down" in every way possible, but this was an engaging argument for it.

I also liked how he envisioned solving the simplest of problems as a way to slowly fine-tune the world's economy. The lip on the aluminum can point specifically--that a microscopic cut on the cost of something that is manufactured at such an absolutely massive scale can be epically beneficial. And there are so many of these tweaks out there to make.

Kind of this idea that the processes of the world have so many little areas to fine-tune and more people should be out there looking for them.

Other than that the guy is absolutely bonkers (his wife search is totally fucking creepy) and his dismissal of anyone that doesn't think like him is lame as shit.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ryvicke View Post
    Did you read the whole article?
    I certainly wouldn't just read parts of it. I always the whole thing, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    I certainly wouldn't just read parts of it. I always the whole thing, every time.
    Cool man!

Also, insert joke about your penis and "whole thing, every time" here.

Then pre-emptive "not gay for thinking about your whole penis" comment here.

Then an admission that I am gay here.

7. Default

Cool man!

Also, insert joke about your penis and "whole thing, every time" here.

Then pre-emptive "not gay for thinking about your whole penis" comment here.

I was worried I was going to have to wait awhile to get any enjoyment from this thread but thanks to your cliffnotes I can go outside and play!

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    You just got Kong'd.

She said she'd never let go...

I GIS'd "unsurprising surprise is unsurprising" and a whole load of unrelated shit popped up. That's just one of them.
    Last edited by diethx; 05-04-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    You just got Kong'd.