Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: First concert you ever went to or for that matter any concert you went to

Pete arrived just as Jesse started his set. There are a lot of his songs that are intensely emotional for me and I think most humans who have heard them. One is All My Love, which was inspired when a beautiful young YouTube singer named Christina Grimmie was murdered at the meet and greet before a small concert she was performing. This hit very close to home for them. When he said he was about to play a song off All My Love, my heart spiked, but it was a different song. Close call, no emotional issues here, ha ha ha, look at me applauding after the song with my human hands.

Then he played Snow.

Even in ideal circumstances it's extremely emotional for me. The shock factor here did not make it less so, and I started sobbing as quietly as I could. The first time. What I discovered was that if I could look into the guitar hole I still felt safe to express myself emotionally. Eye contact was totally out of the question, but there was a quiet little dark place. And then he played All My Love (song) - sobbing for the second time.

Not all of his set was weepy, and he was very charming with his stage banter, and then he was finished.

The lights came on and Pete and I fell deep in conversation. Then I thought going to the human's room would be a solid idea. A person came in behind me and I heard the crowd cheer through the briefly open door.

I made it back before the first song had really gotten going. She turned the lights on and she could see us, and we could see her seeing us. She started with some pleasant songs like Jesse and I thought I was wise to the game, like Jesse there were then going to be sadder songs. I was prepared.

Then she played This Far.

This pouch was full when I left Pete's apartment. If I had been able to see anything at all I would have been alarmed at how rapidly my resources were depleting.

This is my song. It is everything I love and everything I want to become. I have heard her sing it at least ten thousand times, and it has always, always brought me peace in the darkness. Hearing it as she plays it has a slightly different result; sobbing #3.

Then she played Birdsong, which happens to be played on keyboard, and which also happens to be an emotionally catastrophic story of loss, and I found myself thinking 'now here is a remarkable turn of events, with no guitar to look into I am having some relative difficulty getting these inside feelings to the outside, how droll' and I also found myself thinking 'he was so small'.

Then she played a duet with Jesse whose music video recorded them at her sister's wedding, playing the song they wrote about her for her to her, and she was pregnant, so what I'm getting at is it's a real tearjerker, but I was pretty much done crying.

Then she played For Now.

When she was held in Jakarta she overcame the whole world and found gratitude and hope. 'Maybe it's enough to know that we were here together.' Can you find a better epitaph? I've thought about it a lot and there aren't many.

I wasn't done crying.

I had resolved to give a standing ovation of one if necessary, since she had told us it was the last song.

I was sure I wouldn't reach standing, but nobody else did either so that makes us even.

We sat in the light.

Much later I realized she is doing the whole thing again tonight.

And Friday.

And for another two months.

E=mc^2 tells us energy is proportional to mass - the bigger the body, the more power. Looks like ol' Einstein better take that one back to the drawing board.

Thanks again to Ankly and Herb, and special thanks to Pete and his lovely gal and their moderately attractive pooch. That this happened to be one of the very few (only?) seated venues, and that Pete happened to offer to host me, and that I happened to get hooked into this community at all, and that I happened to come across Kina's music at all, and that all of this aligned precisely when it did is an almost suspiciously unlikely series of coincidences, and I'm so lucky to have benefited so greatly from them.

That's it, thanks for reading!
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

For those who have any interest in progressive metal, there is an upcoming free live-stream event on Friday March 19th & Saturday March 20th.

Between the Buried and Me playing their Grammy nominated 2018 albums Automata I and II in their entirety.

https://www.betweentheburiedandme.co...02884630806528

Their last live-stream was the best audio quality of any of the half dozen live-streams I watched in 2020, so if you're even remotely into this genre, this is a good one to make time for. My Xbox connectivity is 1GB copper and optical audio output which works out better than than my laptop running line-out to the stereo. Consider that if it's an option for you before struggling with laptop / wireless / head-phone jack audio conversion, which is less than ideal for trying to get good quality audio. But you probably know that. Just sayin.

They'll have event merch up if you want to support the band, and of course you can subscribe to the Twitch channel as well to give them your hard earned money.

https://www.merchlimited.com/collect...-buried-and-me

If you have an Amazon prime account already you can use it to get a free month of twitch subscription as well.

Rock on.
    Last edited by Bhaalizmo; 03-08-2021 at 10:14 PM. Reason: so many typos. wtf
    Make Shattered a $5 stand-alone subscription

Between the buried and me are so progressive it took me a good deal of listens before I truly started to love them.
    But it happened. Oh how it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayal View Post
    Between the buried and me are so progressive it took me a good deal of listens before I truly started to love them.
    But it happened. Oh how it happened.
    Yeah alot of metal can be like that. It can take time to get through the layers so to speak.

I was a hard pass on BTBAM the first time, but once I heard that Colors album start to finish I was hooked.

I've seen them 2, maybe 3 times. Looking forward to this live-stream coming up. The last one when they played the Colors album is still available on Twitch for subscribers, definitely check that one out if you can get access.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaalizmo View Post
    For those who have any interest in progressive metal, there is an upcoming free live-stream event on Friday March 19th & Saturday March 20th.

Between the Buried and Me playing their Grammy nominated 2018 albums Automata I and II in their entirety.

https://www.betweentheburiedandme.co...02884630806528

Their last live-stream was the best audio quality of any of the half dozen live-streams I watched in 2020, so if you're even remotely into this genre, this is a good one to make time for. My Xbox connectivity is 1GB copper and optical audio output which works out better than than my laptop running line-out to the stereo. Consider that if it's an option for you before struggling with laptop / wireless / head-phone jack audio conversion, which is less than ideal for trying to get good quality audio. But you probably know that. Just sayin.

They'll have event merch up if you want to support the band, and of course you can subscribe to the Twitch channel as well to give them your hard earned money.

https://www.merchlimited.com/collect...-buried-and-me

If you have an Amazon prime account already you can use it to get a free month of twitch subscription as well.

Rock on.
    Bumping because this free livestream event takes place tomorrow night, and Saturday night.

If you like prog metal, check it out.

Between the Buried in me 2022 "Human is Hell" tour started last night, I got to see them at the first stop this time instead of the last for a change.

Setlist pulled from the back catalogue, greatest hits, and their current Colors II album. I doubt any BTBAM fan would've been disappointed by it.

The double helix of extinction
    Revolution in limbo
    Fix the error
    Ants of the Sky
    Dim Ignition
    Famine Wolf
    Informal Gluttony
    Bad Habits
    The future is Behind Us
    Condemned to the Gallows
    Selkies
    ------------
    Voice of Trespass

Definitely go see these guys, they're still one of the best things going in progressive metal and they're out there giving it their all.

The opening act Car Bomb was an interesting mathcore / metal act that I'm going to need to give some more listens to. Their intent when writing almost seems to be to prevent the listener from falling into a groove with the rhythm. There is definitely rhythm to be had there, it's just constantly changing and shifting (which is not uncommon in progressive metal, for example BTBAM) which presents somewhat of a challenge at first listen. I bought two vinyl records and a beanie to support.
    Last edited by Bhaalizmo; 02-23-2022 at 05:23 PM. Reason: words. WORDS. more words

Saw BTBAM again tonite, they included some tracks from their recent Colors II album of course, which played well with the mostly Trivium fans crowd. The Future is Behind us was their closer, and man they sounded great last night, but this track in particular stands out as sounding amazing.

Good times.

The opener Khemmis was pretty good and heavy. Reminded me of Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult a bit but their vocals didn't come through that strong, not sure if the singer just isn't that good or who knows maybe he had a monitor feedback issue going on.

White Chapel was a surprise, I didn't realize they were that heavy. For some reason I thought they were a softer "for the chicks" metal band. Not so much. Pretty heavy, very tight, very good.

Trivium, I stuck around for out of curiosity. I don't like their singer's attitude at times, he's one of those performers who thinks that the audience is there to do his bidding. Do this, do that, meanwhile we payed him to play while he tries to orchestrate us. Band was tight though, they sounded good. Sounded like they didn't miss a note.