Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-state tuition for illegal immigrants could prove a tough issue for Perry

Default In-state tuition for illegal immigrants could prove a tough issue for Perry

Texas — With Rick Perry's record getting presidential-level scrutiny, one crack in his conservative credentials could pose a serious problem — signing a bill giving in-state tuition to illegal immigrants.

Perry defended his 2001 decision to a New Hampshire reporter last week, saying he didn't want to punish young people for their parents' actions. But for tea party activists and social conservatives crucial to any Perry bid for the White House, his support of the Texas "DREAM Act" for undocumented students could be a tough sell.

said Iowa tea party activist Gregg Cummings... "He's going to have a tough time trying to answer."

While other decisions in Perry's past might raise questions on the right, his backing of in-state tuition for the children of illegal immigrants at Texas universities sends a clear and unambiguous message to tea party voters

"The DREAM Act could be Perry's version of Romneycare," said Dallas tea party member Ken Emanuelson,

Questions about Perry's immigration record underscore a potential rift between the Texas governor and tea party voters he would count on to win the GOP nomination.

Tea Party Coalition has posted a blistering online critique challenging Perry's record on spending, support for toll roads and his mandate that pre-teen girls be inoculated against sexually transmitted disease.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2758163/posts

If I move to Texas today, I would have to pay more than an illegal immigrant because of this commies legislation. An American citizen paying more than an illegal immigrant for higher education subsidized by MY MONEY! Is this fiscally conservative? Does this make illegals want to cross our border? Vote Ron Paul.
    Last edited by Thickbeard; 09-24-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Neg rep me please.

Oh no he dih'n

Clearly this man shouldn't be President.

Vote Ron Paul!
    Last edited by Inspire; 09-24-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspire View Post
    Oh no he didn't!
    He did, and I don't care if he is trying to swing the Hispanic vote. If he does this -- spending tax dollars in the process -- to swing votes, then what will he do next? A line needs to be drawn.

Neg rep me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspire View Post
    Oh no he dih'n

Clearly this man shouldn't be President.

Vote Ron Paul!
    If you actually paid taxes on your pathetic myklian and GS items income you would understand.

Neg rep me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Thickbeard View Post
    If you actually paid taxes on your pathetic myklian and GS items income you would understand.
    All anyone really needs to understand is the word, "illegal". It should be as simple as that, but since our country is full of a bunch of fucking pussies, "illegal" doesn't seem to carry much weight when combined with "immigrant". Just don't smoke any of that nice green herb or you might get fucked with.

Hahahah he is such a fucking idiot.

So he cut 4 million (?) from K-12 schools, among other education cuts during this year. Schools in Houston have recently suffered job loss numbers in the 9000's. And now he's doing fake stuff that nobody will fall for.

He also dresses like a schmuck at parties which is unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by RojoDisco View Post
    Hahahah he is such a fucking idiot.

So he cut 4 million (?) from K-12 schools, among other education cuts during this year. Schools in Houston have recently suffered job loss numbers in the 9000's. And now he's doing fake stuff that nobody will fall for.

He also dresses like a schmuck at parties which is unforgivable.
    I'm not sure that one was fake. It's a 10 year old decision by him, and it's one of the very few decisions by him that I've liked. If the federal DREAM Act had passed back when it was first proposed (by Republicans, no less), he'd be considered a visionary on the topic.

He does dress like a schmuck though.

Oh, and subzero, simply being an illegal immigrant is not a criminal violation in the U.S. It's considered civil. (There's good reasons for that, mainly constitutional ones.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kembal View Post

Oh, and subzero, simply being an illegal immigrant is not a criminal violation in the U.S. It's considered civil. (There's good reasons for that, mainly constitutional ones.)
    It is actual a criminal and civil violation for improper entry. If you overstay a VISA it is civil.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    All anyone really needs to understand is the word, "illegal". It should be as simple as that, but since our country is full of a bunch of fucking pussies, "illegal" doesn't seem to carry much weight when combined with "immigrant". Just don't smoke any of that nice green herb or you might get fucked with.
    I have a co-worker that refuses to call them anything but "undocumented" immigrants. Can you guess which way his politics lean?
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Rick Perry and Texas beat IL to the punch 10 years ago? WTF?