Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its cool to divorce your spouse if the have Alzheimers

Default Its cool to divorce your spouse if the have Alzheimers

According to Pat Robertson.
    Stay classy, 700 Club

Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson told his "700 Club" viewers that divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's is justifiable because the disease is "a kind of death."
    During the portion of the show where the one-time Republican presidential candidate takes questions from viewers, Robertson was asked what advice a man should give to a friend who began seeing another woman after his wife started suffering from the incurable neurological disorder.
    "I know it sounds cruel, but if he's going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again, but make sure she has custodial care and somebody looking after her," Robertson said.
    The chairman of the Christian Broadcasting Network, which airs the "700 Club," said he wouldn't "put a guilt trip" on anyone who divorces a spouse who suffers from the illness, but added, "Get some ethicist besides me to give you the answer."

Most Christian denominations at least discourage divorce, citing Jesus' words in the Gospel of Mark that equate divorce and remarriage with adultery.
    Story: Insulin nasal spray may slow Alzheimer's Terry Meeuwsen, Robertson's co-host, asked him about couples' marriage vows to take care of each other "for better or for worse" and "in sickness and in health."
    "If you respect that vow, you say 'til death do us part,'" Robertson said during the Tuesday broadcast. "This is a kind of death."
    A network spokesman said Wednesday that Robertson had no further statement.
    Disease rarely leads to split
    Divorce is uncommon among couples where one partner is suffering from Alzheimer's, said Beth Kallmyer, director of constituent services for the Alzheimer's Association, which provides resources to sufferers and their families.
    "We don't hear a lot of people saying 'I'm going to get divorced,'" she told The Associated Press.
    "Families typically respond the way they do to any other fatal disease," she added.
    Story: Early Alzheimer's disclosures to become more common The stress can be significant in marriages though, Kallmyer said, because it results in the gradual loss of a person's mental faculties.
    "The caregiving can be really stressful on a couple of levels," she said.
    Story: Who wants to live forever? Scientist sees aging cured "There's the physical level. There's also the emotional level of feeling like you're losing that person you love," Kallmyer said.
    As a result, she said, it's important for couples to make decisions about care together in the early stages of the illness, when its effects aren't as prominent.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44530424.../#.TnIxW-wg2EU
    I don't want the world; I just want your half.
    Discord BigNasty#8519

It'd be cooler if you proofread your subject lines. ZING!
    "I am not a hater." - George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

3. Default

I bet they'd forget to ask for alimony.

weird... I would have classified Alzheimers as a sickness and not death... those wacky Christians...

Thats despicable. When is he running for vice president?
    A message board is a place on the internet you can go to find out with anonymity why you dont speak more often at parties.

Hard to know what to make of a statement like that, other than it just seems pretty nutty. Is this one of the things that old people think about, the ones that haven't got Alzheimer's anyway, or is it just the machinations of one nut who can rationalize anything if he tries hard enough?

It certainly doesn't fit my view of Christ's compassion for others: healing the sick, raising the dead, curing leprosey, (and turning water into wine for a party!), but oh, wait... she's got Alzheimer's... you won't know what that is for another 2000 years, but go ahead and just start screwing someone else cause she's sorta-dead. She'll never know so it's no big deal? Yeah... that doesn't quite fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinualdo View Post
    According to Pat Robertson.
    Stay classy, 700 Club
    He must have alzheimers to have said something like that. Shall we all abandon him and let him experience physical death all alone since it is a type a death anyway?

Ahh yes, The Summoning of Everyman.

And after the senses fail, Everyman faces him?... alone.
    Last edited by Thickbeard; 09-18-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Do we face him or our own mor(tal/al)ity?

Neg rep me please.

There's goes the sickness and health caveat.
    Your sister's HOT, but your Mom does that thing with her tongue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    Methais isn't even on my level bitch.

Dan Savage would probably agree on some level, probably for different reasons though. People need certain things, if they aren't getting them the care will start to fade anyway. Just a fact, might as well find a way to cope with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachos DLC View Post
    Blame Kranar!

Protect Net Neutrality!
    https://www.dearfcc.org