Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THW choices

1. Default THW choices

I have a 40 something warrior. I have an Invar Claidmore, a heavily damage weighted ora mattock and a 5x vultite Maul. I bonded to the invar Claidmore, but I am trying to figure out which is the best choice and which would be best to sell in oder to trade up, and what to trade up to.

THe Claidmore has the lowest AS, but the regualr crits are great. Almost every blow stuns my opponents. 6 second RT which gets up to 9 or 11 by the end of a hunt if I am picking up boxes. Not blessable.

THe Maul raises my AS a lot, but often does little damage. It seems to get crits with some frequency. It is useless when bashing. 5 second RT and it usually does not get above 6 seconds, occasionally 8 if i am really loaded. Blessable.

The mattock does high amounts of damage, perhaps slightly more on average than the claidmore. Slightly better RT. Excellent for bashing. I think that this is not blessable.

The maul was very cheap (about 200 K), the Claidmore was from a merchant (80K) and the mattock was expensive (2 million). It seems like the mattock should be the best weapon, but I mostly use it for bashing. The Claid seems slightly more effective for taking critters down, the maul is the weakest weapon but is blessable. I am thinking that maybe i should sell the mattock if I can, sell the claidmore and buy a better claidmore and then just use the claidmore when I need to bash. Keep the maul for undead. Does this seem reasonable?

Since the mattock was so expensive, I would expect it to be better than the cheap claimore, but it is about the same, only without the crits. Either one takes down a frost giant or titan in 2-4 hits.

Is a higher enchant claidmore the best option for trading up? If I can get 2 million for the maul and add another million, what kind of claidmore or other weapon should I look for?

thanks

2. Default

What are you hunting right now and what kind of hunting style do you have? Are you in Sunfist?

seems like for almost all 2 handers a maul turns out best in general, unless you make a style choice that ignores mechanical benefits, a perfect maul is far easier to acquire at a reasonable price and alot easier to enchant then any claidhmore of equal or similar enchant.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

You really need to check the AsG of each critter you're hunting and then check which weapon would have the best AvD.
    It's a good idea to keep a few different types of THW on you because critters change in how good your weapon will do against them.
    In the end, the easiest way to figure it out is to know for sure A ~ the weapon give enough AS to hit the critter and B ~ is the critter more susceptable to the weapon type.

I wouldn't even worry about having heavy damage weighting on the mattock and the low enchant of the claidh kinda makes the weighting on that a bit redunant too. . unless of course they hit hard against the critter AsG thenit's a no brainer.

5. Default

Sure if you want to get anal about mechanics and statistics, mauls are the way to go, but how boring would that be if everyone that used a THW used a maul?

It would be fucking hell on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Sure if you want to get anal about mechanics and statistics, mauls are the way to go, but how boring would that be if everyone that used a THW used a maul?
    Seems like they do. I'm exploring a similar question on my guy, although I'm a paladin instead of a warrior. It probably makes the most sense to bond to the claidhmore, then get something like a greataxe you can use against undead. I just went through the calculations today, it really does depend on what monster you're hunting, in general a greataxe is better against lighter armored monsters, while a maul is better for the final two classes.

-DrZ

Quote Originally Posted by DrZaius View Post
    Seems like they do. I'm exploring a similar question on my guy, although I'm a paladin instead of a warrior. It probably makes the most sense to bond to the claidhmore, then get something like a greataxe you can use against undead. I just went through the calculations today, it really does depend on what monster you're hunting, in general a greataxe is better against lighter armored monsters, while a maul is better for the final two classes.

-DrZ
    Which is why the maul is clearly superior. The difference between a greataxe and a maul on an unarmored opponent is maul: dead or greataxe: really, really fucking dead.

on chain/plate the difference is greataxe: hurt and pissed, maul: stunned or dead

Be different, use a tetsubo.

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    Which is why the maul is clearly superior. The difference between a greataxe and a maul on an unarmored opponent is maul: dead or greataxe: really, really fucking dead.

on chain/plate the difference is greataxe: hurt and pissed, maul: stunned or dead

Be different, use a tetsubo.

Well the thinking is a little different for paladins, because I get 1605 (+10% DF) and double flares; giving me a pretty good chance of killing monsters just from raw damage as well.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DrZaius View Post

-DrZ
    Paladin here too. I use a 3x claid when I'm hunting minos and a forged battle-axe on just about everything else.