Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus to counter the HIV Virus

Default Virus to counter the HIV Virus

Tested successfully in computer models and in cells in a dish. Took two guys $200,000 and the help of a grad student to develop.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,...w=wn_tophead_1
    [11:16] Harmnone: Wezas, shut the fuck up
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuhthol
    My girlfriend plays World of Warcraft better than I do.
    Favorite myspace site: http://myspace.com/badtie

2. Default

its too bad

The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory assistant professors created a virus altered to latch onto HIV and mute its ability to become AIDS.

The treatment is made of a gutted HIV virus. The harmful parts of the virus are removed, and in their place the researchers have inserted a DNA cargo that inhibits HIV's ability to kill immune cells. It latches onto the natural HIV and spreads along with it, even from person to person.

HIV does not have affinity towards self. They are proposing to create a chimera which will "latch" onto the HIV virus and inhibit its destruction of CD4+ Th cells. That is fairly interesting considering the way HIV can carry out antigenic drifting a billion times faster than the flu. HIV will only release the bad stuff when it has already lysed the lymphocyte. Are they going to try and target the gp120 and 41 coreceptors? Those are constant, so I guess it could work, once you've actually been able to rupture its capsid with this phenomenal chimera. Since this new chimera is used to effectively fight HIV, it will probably have to possess its own replication apparatus, and as we all know, viruses are not alive and require either DNA or RNA to proliferate. So it inhibits HIV's ability to kill immune cells by introducing a retrovirus into the cell where it "wants" to go in the first place? Very interesting indeed. Of course, you could always take into effect that an immune response will be developed in the invaxee, this will help to mount a GVH reaction to the bodies already dying T-cells. Fortunately, if the patient is already in a latent stage, there will be little T-cells left, so introduction will either be pointless, or cause some nice primary immune responses that will indefinately lead to anaphylaxis.

Sincerely,
    -Stanley

4. Default

Way to throw "big words" into a grammatical nightmare.

Also, yay for science.

[Edited on 5-14-2004 by Tayre]

5. Default

Im with Tayre. I stopped reading that after the first 3 lines because *I* dont know what you're talking about and I dont think you do either, Only im not afraid to admit that I dont.

Cure for HIV? Anything that can help HIV patients im all for. My daughter will be having sex someday (I hope im dead by then because shes not havin sex till shes 30... er... I mean 50) and if we can get rid of it now then that makes me feel sooo much better about her growing up.

Cat
    99% Plastic 1% Woman

I have found you can find happiness in slavery. ~NIN

Centered just above the wrist, the tattoo simply reads \\"Inmate 1104, Teras Isle Asylum\\" in slightly jagged letters.

Education = cure for HIV.

Originally posted by StrayRogue
    I\\'ll take a few mill off you if you are still selling.

With all due respect, I can humbly promise you that I possess a *fair* handle on the world of science, well, in biology anyway, and well, mostly cellular and immu if you want to test.

Way to throw "big words" into a grammatical nightmare.

Invaxee isn't a word, I apologize.

Education = cure for HIV.

Never helps to get a few boosters of education, seems like there aren't too many education invacees running around on this forum though

If I mispell vaccinnee one more time

on the other hand "indefinately" doesn't bother me that much.