Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Democrats in Panic Mode?

Default Democrats in Panic Mode?

The following was taken from the Wall Street Journal Editorials.
    <<<
    Buyer's Remorse
    Dems start to worry that Kerry can't win.

Monday, May 3, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT
    It's six months until the election, and Democrats are already having buyer's remorse. The Bush campaign "is kicking Kerry's ass every damn day," one prominent Democratic operative told the Washington Post last week. "Kerry hasn't owned one day in the news yet. Not one day!"

Some liberals are so frantic that they want to pull the plug. Village Voice columnist James Ridgeway says prominent Democrats should "sit down with the rich and arrogant presumptive nominee and try to persuade him to take a hike" and withdraw. Call that the Torricelli option, after the former New Jersey senator who was muscled out of the race by party elders.

That's not going to happen. First, John Forbes Kerry has wanted to be president ever since he hung around the Kennedy family compound as a teenager. He's not going to let any of the same pooh-bahs who only last December wrote him off as a primary contender drive him from the race now. Second, Mr. Kerry's convention delegates are loyal to him and not easily transferable. There was similar grumbling about dumping Bill Clinton in the summer of 1992 when he was running third in polls behind both George Bush and Ross Perot. Nothing came of it.

But that doesn't mean that the worries about John Kerry's electability are going away. Time magazine columnist Joe Klein says Mr. Kerry is "engulfed by the sort of people Howard Dean railed against: timid congressional Democratic staff members and some of the old Clinton crowd. . . . Kerry's may be the most sclerotic presidential campaign since Bob Dole's." Ouch.

<<...OLE_Obj...>>
    Liberals know they are stuck with Mr. Kerry, but that's not preventing them from worrying about his tendency to appear to take both sides of an issue. The irony is that Mr. Kerry has wanted the White House so badly, and for so long, that he has become almost a caricature of an opportunistic, programmed candidate. The resulting image turns off many voters who sense that not much is motivating him beyond blind ambition. For example, many voters may not feel comfortable with Mr. Bush's religious impulses and motivations, but they highlight the image he conveys of a sincere, committed leader.

It is traditional for party activists to grumble about their prospective nominee between the time he wraps up the primaries and when he is actually nominated. But the doubts about Mr. Kerry go beyond campaign kvetching. At times, they seem to verge on quiet panic.
    >>>

My take on this. I dont think Kerry can win, but its a bit early to count the chickens. He's usually a strong finisher, and he'll have to hope his piss poor debating skills are better than GW's piss poor debating skills. My call is neither one is capable of answering a single question as it was asked.
    TWTEP 4 life

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Bush can't win.

All this talk now is meaninless, voters don't care, they sure as hell aren't going to gear up for an election which isn't taking place anytime soon. These quotes you have are from stupid people, any one that thinks a person running for president can outshine the president in the news 6 months from an election is plain dumb.

Give it a rest, and vote your vote when it comes time.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Bush can't win.
    I disagree. Bush will win.

Sorry, you can't successfully run a campaign on "We don't like him either, but at least he isn't Bush!"
    Space for rent, inquire within.

Hey, I'd vote for anyone that wasn't Bush. It all depends on how the next few months go... if gas prices keep rising, the death toll keeps rising in Iraq, things like the torture pictures keep coming out, who knows if Bush will be in office or not. I personally don't want to keep in a man who could potentially send my generation by Force off to war.

But I wish there was one good democrat running for office...
    Anyone out of the mainstream Is anyone in the mainstream? Anyone alive - with a sex drive Tear down the wall Aren't we all
    The opposite of war isn't peace... It's creation
    VIVA, la vie Boheme!!

I personally don't want to keep in a man who could potentially send my generation by Force off to war.
    You do realise this'll never happen, right? We have over a million people in the army, and 100,000ish are in Iraq. The death toll is something like 530-550 at the last count I saw.
    Space for rent, inquire within.

Well, Bush has nothing to do with the torture pictures, that is a military issue beyond his reach.

There also is no chance for the draft to come around again. There are hundreds of thousands of military personnel who have not come close to being called up yet. The Depth of the United States military is far greater than the media leads people to think.

You are aslo a woman so you have nothing to worry about.

2.2 million people in the military

The people that vote for Kerry based on "Anyone but Bush" are a really small minority. Usually radical leftist, interest groups, or partisan democrats.

The reason why I believe Bush *will* be re-elected is most Americans mayu not be happy with how Bush is running the country, but they'd rather have the "evil they know, rather than the evil they don't"

Lastly, Kerry has a very weak personality and he's getting nailed hard for it. The American people don't want a weak President right now.

- Arkans

Originally posted by The Edine
    2.2 million people in the military
    How many of those are combat troops, E?
    Hasta pronto, porque la vida no termina aqui...
    America, stop pushing. I know what I'm doing.

Every last man.
    In today’s wars all troops in Iraq are combat from the truck drivers to the medics

Edit: before anyone jumps on it yes not all can be combat troops for logistic reasons

Edit again to make it sound better.
    [Edited on 5-5-2004 by The Edine]

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by The Edine]