Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New ranger

1. Default New ranger

Greetings all!

Returning player from many years ago that has played a small bit since GS4, but not enough to really know all the new mechanics.

I've reveiwed most on Nilandia's page and elsewhere, but struggling to find a good training setup for a new Ranger, which I've chosen as my class to start over with. Every guide I've seen seems to be 6 years old or older however.

Any good suggestions on a training and stats template for OHE? I figure like most I'll change to archery later if necessary.

Still a bit undecided on race, but unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm likely to go either Dark Elf, Half Elf, or Sylvan. Roleplay reasons aside, I'm unsure if there is a city- or ranger-related reason I wouldn't want one of those races.

Thanks in advance!

halfling
    -Sheikh
    The Badass Bard

Gemstone Shattered: A game you don't have to play to enjoy

if you want to be a pure, probably a halfling. the boost to elemental TD, dodging, etc would really own. also spirit regen for wracking..

if you're gonna be a swinger, either halfling or elf. elves have decent strength and you'll be able to ambush with 2 handed weapons.

would a half elf work? they seem popular for rogues

but..

i have a giant ranger and i do very well in nelemar as a pure. just wish i was another race sometimes because of low agi/dex and low CS boost from stats.
    Last edited by IorakeWarhammer; 03-08-2011 at 07:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAPAuctions View Post
    Jaeden fights with the strength and determination of a divine zealot.
    http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=55156
    Quote Originally Posted by IorakeWarhammer View Post
    you really made a whole thread because you got stunned?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpgk View Post
    Any good suggestions on a training and stats template for OHE? I figure like most I'll change to archery later if necessary.!

Just put good stats in Strength, Dexterity, Logic, and Wisdom (and INT for TPs). After that, flavor to taste. OHE builds are pretty simple, but I highly recommend the ambushing route if you do one: 2x OHE, 1x CM, .75-1x Dodge, 2x Hiding, 1x Ambush, 1x Shield, then spells and all.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

I'd go half-elf, just personal preference, all 3 elf races are fine but dark elf is probably the most interesting role-play wise for ranger (just not a lot of them) but also the least useful ranger stats.

1x Armour Use, 2x OHE, 1x CM, .75-1x Dodge, 2x Hiding, 1x Ambush, 1x Shield, 1x Harness Power, 1x Climb/Swim (alternate), 1x Spells. Use extra points for perception, mana sharing, arcane symbols (scroll reading), magic item use, or whatever you see fit.

I imagine you'll get bored of OHE pretty quick. It's very conservative, very boring. If I were going to recommend a training path I'd say during your first 30 days when you can instantly change skills go two handed weapon and bop everything with a claidhmore. Then migrate to archery. Archery is the best combat style for a ranger, many of our spells are perfect for it. It is a little command heavy but Lich/macros can really help that.
    Last edited by Drew; 04-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

Default Go with archery

Archery is awesome as an archer. I have loved every minute of it.

Heres my current training:

(at level 38), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 170 70
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 5 1
    Ranged Weapons.....................| 180 80
    Ambush.............................| 140 40
    Physical Fitness...................| 140 40
    Dodging............................| 124 32
    Harness Power......................| 140 40
    Survival...........................| 140 40
    Stalking and Hiding................| 180 80
    Perception.........................| 180 80
    Climbing...........................| 90 20
    Swimming...........................| 70 15
    First Aid..........................| 140 40

Spell Lists
    Minor Spirit.......................| 3

Spell Lists
    Ranger.............................| 38

I mostly snipe eyes from the shadows. I recently joined GoS so I'm trying to build that up. I really like the protection sniping offers at the moment, being able to reliably stay hidden in offensive and not get hit. I'm also wearing augmented chain for when I do get hit. Build gives me high survivability and I really enjoy it so far.

7. Default

Thanks for all the advice. After scrolling back through posts I didn't know were already there before I asked this question...

I ended up going a Dwarf Ranger and went with the claidh route till 30 days are up and will swap to Archery later. I'm hopeful he dex/agi limitations won't be regretable long term, but I do definitely hate having low encumbrance (even without fluff!), and Dwarves do at least have some of the TD benefits of a halfling.

Looking forward to seeing you all out and about! Up to level 5 already and kicking strong. Lich is a godsend. =)

Quote Originally Posted by jcbain View Post
    Archery is awesome as an archer.
    But it sucks if you train only in OHE. haha
    An attractive stranger smiles mischievously and blows a kiss in your direction.

Why is mfire so fail?!?

~Amy

9. Default

Welp, 30 days is up in a couple days so it's time to start really thinking archery!

Kinda wish Spitfire was here sooner so I could buy my bow directly from there, but..

Working on fletching, only about 125 ranks in, so a good bit to go for my own arrows to eblade. Am I looking for a 4x or 5x bow to go along with that? Also, longbow or composite bow as a Dwarf?

I do want to set my stats up for level 100 growth as best as possible, but unsure as an archer how far I want to go with that. Thoughts?

Oh, in CoL btw - so I won't be going with brawling and open ambushing. Guess I should use a standard sniping build?

Using a claidh has been quite fun so far, but I'm hopeful losing this 5 sec swing time with inflated dex/agi stats (won't see those again for a long time!) isn't going to feel so bad with low RT shooting times from hiding!

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpgk View Post

Still a bit undecided on race, but unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm likely to go either Dark Elf, Half Elf, or Sylvan. Roleplay reasons aside, I'm unsure if there is a city- or ranger-related reason I wouldn't want one of those races.

Thanks in advance!
    I've never chosen a race for mechanical reasons. I feel that's a roleplay decision.