Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What good books have you read lately?

Life Itself by Roger Ebert
    PB: One day you'll need this number: 988.

Re-reading The Hunger Games trilogy before the movie comes out. Forgot how good Suzanne is.

On another note, for those who will not admit in PC to liking the Twilight books and would like to read a more 'adult' romantic fantasy along the same lines... only MUCH better (stronger characters as well), an acquaintance of mine put out 'A Discovery of Witches' last year. Her name is Deborah Harkness. This is the first book in The All Souls trilogy. The second book, Shadow of Night, will be released this Summer.

If all else fails, read Good Omens.
    Aura

"Duck off"

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwynde View Post
    Re-reading The Hunger Games trilogy before the movie comes out. Forgot how good Suzanne is.
    Just finished the 2nd one last night, soooo good. My sister is Nook lending me the third one tonight. I also got The Wise Man's Fear in the mail yesterday, and I started reading it on the way home.
    PB: One day you'll need this number: 988.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwynde View Post

On another note, for those who will not admit in PC to liking the Twilight books and would like to read a more 'adult' romantic fantasy along the same lines... only MUCH better (stronger characters as well), an acquaintance of mine put out 'A Discovery of Witches' last year. Her name is Deborah Harkness. This is the first book in The All Souls trilogy. The second book, Shadow of Night, will be released this Summer.

If all else fails, read Good Omens.
    A Discovery of Witches was very good. I particularly enjoyed her depiction of academic culture (mostly of Oxford). I'm looking forward to the next one.

I've also been reading Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan books lately, which are in the same genre. The heroine reminds me of my girlfriend and I get a kick out of them. Book 3 was pretty terrible IMO, but I've enjoyed 1-5 otherwise. She's up to ... 9 or so now.
    My current items for sale or trade: Treasures in the Brambles.

I enjoyed harrison's Rachel Morgan series. I got on a kick reading those and the Dresdan series by Butcher.

I also read the Hunger games trilogy, but something was missing for me. I liked the idea and the plot line behind them, but I didn't really enjoy the way she narrated the character. Not sure exactly what it was, just something didnt click for me entirely. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the movies on them.
    Last edited by Gsgeek; 03-12-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    "It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack. Not rationality."

I read the Gabrielle Giffords book which was great and another book by a hot astronomer (which I only bought because it was by a hot astronomer) which put me to sleep.

I finally got around to reading Starship Troopers and quite liked it. Slowly catching up on whatever classics I missed somehow. I needed something to do while I catch my breath and prepare to tackle the next 20,000 page Steven Erikson book.

The Peace and War trilogy by Joe Halderman.
    Awesome hard-science fiction.

Currently just finished Flood by Stephen Baxter and I'm onto its sequel Ark. Another hard-science fiction novel but based on how the fuck would we get to the nearest star system if the Earth was about to become to wrecked to support human life.
    Last edited by Asha; 03-22-2012 at 03:38 PM.

9. Default

My favorite book is Fool by Christopher Moore.
    One of the funniest books I've ever read and an entertaining spin on Shakespear's King Lear from the prospective of his Jester. I have now bought three copies of this book because every time I loan it out, it never comes back.

The call of Cthulu. Omg it's like a pamphlet.