Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What good books have you read lately?

Default What good books have you read lately?

I didn't find a thread for this, but it might just be because the search function is brearked.

I've got some great recommendations from the few threads soliciting them here (that philosophy one a few weeks ago was fucking awesome), would love to know what you all are reading. Have definitely got great fantasy recommendations from people here.

Anyhow, here's the good stuff that I've read in the last few months:

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers - lyrical non-fiction account of a muslim family in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina. Same Dave Eggers voice with a really excellent accounting of post-disaster recovery and a reminder that muslims have been and always will be a huge part of our country's melting pot.

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill - easily became one of my favorite short story horror/fantasy collections. Hard to pin down as the stories genre hop quite a bit, excels in painting very human characters and connections amid some brilliant surreal plots. Also apparently this guy is Stephen King's son. Fun stuff.

Life by Keith Richards - Wasn't expecting to read this all the way through, I'm not a huge Stones fan and haven't ever been interested in rock autobiographies that don't involve members of The Who. Totally blew through this though. Great voice throughout--the character of Keith Richards becomes more interesting than any one of the (many) famous-people-love-drugs stories found throughout.

NOW SHOW ME YOURS.

Eat a dick and post what you've been reading. Or go resurrect your thread and eat a dick.

3. Default

Are there any options where eating a dick isn't an option?

Only thing I've been reading lately is the 2010 National Security Strategy report. *Dork*

Blog Entries

I need to get the next Dead Space book. Anyone read this series? Like any book based on a game it is definitely "light" reading, but the first one was very entertaining.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

5. Default

I didn't even know there was a Dead Space series, will have to check that out, been looking for a good sci-fi book lately. Other than WH40k.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    I didn't even know there was a Dead Space series, will have to check that out, been looking for a good sci-fi book lately. Other than WH40k.
    Halo, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age all have books based in their world as well. Though I suppose Dragon Age would be Fantasy as opposed to Sci-fi.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Blog Entries

I read a series of books about Genghis Khan by Conn Iggulden. He also wrote a series on Julius Caesar that was pretty good.

I'm currently reading Death, A Life. Its an autobiography of Death. Pretty funny.

I also recommend The Imperial Cruise, by James Bradley. Basically a book about European and then US foreign relations in the Pacific up to the 1940s.

Another good history book, the Savage Wars of Peace: Small Wars and the Rise of American Power, by Max Boot. Really good book. Talks about the series of small, unknown, untaught conflicts the US fought from the 1810s until the 1910s.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Androidpk View Post
    Reading A Thousand Sons right now...

Reading some nifty sci fi currently..

The Time God by L.E. Moddest Jr. and its prequel Timedivers' Dawn.

Interesting mix of Norse myths and the ability to slide in time as a parasitic race that lives off others technology and obliterates anyone who could possibly one day be a threat to the them.

Until a young Temporal Guard named Loki comes along...