Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "a shimmering steel katana", "some side-strapped brigandine"

Default "a shimmering steel katana", "some side-strapped brigandine"

I've decided to go on a nostalgia trip for a while. I've a friend who works as a creative writer at BioWare Austin on the upcoming "Star Wars: The Old Republic", currently working on the bounty hunter storyline. SW:ToR is built on (a heavily extended) HeroEngine, so that mention of Simutronics piqued my interest in GemStone for a bit. I futzed around with a trial account for a bit before I decided to re-up my old account for a while. I also ran into Earnor and Naamtar during 5 years of World of Warcraft, which at least kept GemStone in my mind.

"a shimmering steel katana"
    This is falchion based as best as I can assess, making it very much of the old school.
    Bard-sung base value of 600,000. 5lbs. Bard-sung and field-verified to impart a +27 bonus -- I believe unmodified copies were +17, so this has seen some additional work. Crit weighted, but not sure of the extent -- probably heavy. Originally purchased from Earnor for some godawful sum of coins earned from more time in the East Tower than I'd care to mention.

"some black side-strapped brigandine"
    >examine my brig
    Dyed an inky black with a shiny hard finish, this brigandine armor is notable for the rows of silver-buckled straps that run down both sides, adding ornament as well as secure fastening. Each wide buckle is brightly polished and crafted to fit snug against the armor. You also notice a small enchanter's glyph.

Bard-sung base value of 5,850,000. 22lbs. Bard-sung and field-verified to impart a +35 bonus. Somewhat critical padded. As far as I remember this is one of two in existence, and was purchased at a official GM run auction run somewhere between 1996 and 1999. This may also have additional lore if sung to by a very experienced bard, but I may be thinking of something else in my possession.

"a veniom-bound rolaren tower shield"
    Bard-sung base value of 1,600,000. 10lbs. Bard-sung and field-verified to impart a +40 bonus. This is an old-school tower shield... from before real shield mechanics were in place.

Then there's just the "run of the mill" fel-hafted vultite waraxe (further worked to 5x), forest green brigandine, lightened spidersilk backpacks and cloaks, heavily altered clothes, etc. I have a mountain of things to go through. Just curious to see what else folks may know about these items.
    Last edited by Goofnik; 01-17-2011 at 06:56 PM.

most of the steel katanas had somewheat weighting, not many left at all really, Seen every from somewhat to exceptional on them depending on how much further work they have received. I actually recall that big being auctioned though not the when or where.
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

I feel embarrassed to say that I remember the name "Ardwen", not the personality behind it. I saw Thuunk yesterday as well.

Some other interesting finds...

• Some polished mithril-linked brigandine (two sets)
    • Some thick golvern-chased brigandine
    • Some jet black veniom-banded armor
    • An eahnor hilted mithril claidhmore
    • A well balanced woodsman's hatchet (criminy that's OLD)
    • A jam-stained pastry satchel

Still digging through things. Haven't found all the toys yet -- those may be on the second account.
    Last edited by Goofnik; 01-17-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Are you looking to sell any of these things?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Inspire View Post
    Are you looking to sell any of these things?
    Watch out for this guy, he's a thief.
    2013 PC FF Champion

Ross#9505 on Discord

luckily I cant place the name Goofnik at all
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardwen View Post
    luckily I cant place the name Goofnik at all
    That's deliberate. I couldn't remember my old handles if I tried, and my characters were never well-known. Regardless, I mostly quit because of a tiff I got into a long while back (8 to 10 years) with someone. I'm fairly certain they're not around anymore, and if they were, I'd rather us unwittingly coexist together.

Regarding sale of items: No. Even corresponding cash value wouldn't pique my interest. I'm mostly on a nostalgia trip right now. Odds are good I'll roll up a new alt and have fun with that *without* handing giant piles of OP goods to them. That's what I've been doing for the past week and a half and I've been pleased as punch running around and busting tail for a drake falchion, an ora buckler and some 2x double leather.
    Last edited by Goofnik; 01-17-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Mithril claidh's worth a nice chunk of change too.

Sadly, I'm still looking for things. I've found a large cache of weapons, but not what I'm looking for: forest green brig, 5x fel-hafted vultite waraxe, ora flaring sanctified falchion, blessing sheaths, etc. Never mind the absolute PILE of random enchanted armor and weapons I could never hope to inventory in an expedient manner.

On top, characters are before the new-school character manager as well. All of them used Tsoran's autoroller.
    Last edited by Goofnik; 01-17-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofnik View Post

Bard-sung base value of 5,850,000. 22lbs. Bard-sung and field-verified to impart a +35 bonus. Somewhat critical padded. As far as I remember this is one of two in existence, and was purchased at a official GM run auction run somewhere between 1996 and 1999. This may also have additional lore if sung to by a very experienced bard, but I may be thinking of something else in my possession.
    As the capped bard to sang to this armor... no it doesn't have any more to the loresong.