Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: lrn2map

1. Default

Prime map database is uploaded.

Platinum map database is uploaded.
    Also added 13,442 forage tags to the Platinum database.
    Last edited by Tillmen; 03-16-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Get Lich - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldonis View Post
    There are some stones and skulls both inside the maze and in some otherwise identical rooms leading into the mazes, which can help slightly to uniquely identify a handful of rooms.
    To use the stones and skulls to uniquely identify a room in the database, do something like:
    ;e Room[num].unique_loot = [ 'skull' ]

The name needs to be an exact match. You can use this to see what it should be:
    ;e GameObj.loot.each { |o| respond o.name }

Is there any way at all to fully implement this kind of map? I have a feeling since we know how many unique rooms and how they are connected it ought to be possible, and the question is if the difficulty level is a 10 out of 10, an 11 out of 10, or a 100 out of 10. As far as attempting to answer that question myself, I'm not sure how lich determines the present room, such that if a character logged out while in one of these mazes, or experienced lag while travelling, perhaps it could be impossible to determine what room they are in.
    While the rooms are unique on paper, they won't all be unique in the map database, probably. In a perfect world, the combination of room title/description/paths will be unique for every room. When that doesn't cut it, you can also add permanent loot, location verb (which won't be helpful in this case), and peering into the next room.

Your current room is not saved when you log off. go2 figures out what room you're in when it starts, and then creates a list of all the movements it will need to get to its destination. It doesn't check which room you're in again unless it gets hung up and restarts.

In that case, we at least need to keep the same random solver which presently exists, but still in theory those issues shouldn't absolutely forbid mapping the area (and maybe we need to add an extra "fake" room which is the default determination for the room and uses the random solver to escape).

If a proper mapping is impossible, the system can still be improved I think. In particular, we can make a mini-script to go from each room outside the maze to another room outside the maze based on the known cardinal direction paths. This would at least mean that travelling which should involve movement between, say, four rooms, does not sometimes take twenty seconds with random guesses.
    The easiest way to do it is as you said. Create a path in the database from the outside of one side of the maze to the outside of the other side, with the four movements or whatever to get across; and make a path from each inside room to each outside room using the random movement method. This will create an annoyance for anyone using wander to hunt which moves one room at a time, which is probably also the case now. This can be improved on depending on how much effort you want to put into it.

For example, suppose on your map of the ghostly trees that rooms 6 and 7 were identical to each other, but not to any other rooms (I have no idea if that's the case). Those two rooms would have the same room id in the database, and a path could be created from that room to room Y. This path would move southwest once and then check if it was in the unique room Y. If it is, it's done. If not, it knows it's in room 4, whether or not room 4 is unique, and moves northeast, northeast, southwest, done.
    Last edited by Tillmen; 03-16-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks for the very informative reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillmen View Post
    While the rooms are unique on paper, they won't all be unique in the map database, probably. In a perfect world, the combination of room title/description/paths will be unique for every room. When that doesn't cut it, you can also add permanent loot, location verb (which won't be helpful in this case), and peering into the next room.
    Peering works? That's a great help! That means definitely we can uniquely identify all the rooms outside the maze, which definitely allows the mini-script approach from any room outside the maze to any other room outside the maze feasible.

As far as inside the maze, from the unique loot we can get at least two rooms per maze. From those rooms, we can also make mini-scripts to each exit, speeding up the random solver.

By peering from inside the maze, it's possible to identify about half the other rooms uniquely. However, we need to peer in all four directions (nw, ne, se, sw) and consider the sum of the information to do this. Let's set this aside for now and I can consider coming back to it later once I've implemented a simpler version.

For now, I need to determine how to peer into a single direction to get the ID of that room to determine the current room. And I need to figure out how to add new rooms to the database. Time to start reading this full thread!

(Not formally working on any map databases yet...need to get my hands dirty first.)

4. Default

Mapping the bard guild in Icemule in prime.

5. Default

Database sent to Tillmen.

6. Default

I'm going to rework Darkstone paths, it's horrendously broken to the point you'll end up stuck underwater or bonking your head against the portcullis till kingdom come.

I'll wait for the DB to be uploaded and start my work then on prime.

7. Default

8. Default

Mapping a few odd and end spots in the Landing in prime.

EDIT: Scratch that. I'll do it when I have more on it to do.
    Last edited by Anne; 05-10-2014 at 10:13 AM.

9. Default

Mapping Solhaven, Cairnfang Manor in GS IV Prime.

Room ID: 22109, add tag "node" (might be a supernode, too)

EDIT: Done, and sent to Tillmen.
    Last edited by Gilralyn; 05-14-2014 at 05:04 PM.

10. Default