Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lich community

Default Lich community

Now that psinet is dead, the majority of those users are moving over to lich.
    Psinet users are just that.
    They can't be expected to contribute scripts.
    They can't be expected to fix something on their own.
    Previously lich was a scripting tool used by scripters.
    Lich users championed it to every psinet user as the way of the future.
    Now that lich has a community of none software engineers using it, can it support them?

When there was problems with psinet, you knew who to ask for help Jamus.

The lich repo makes many complex scripts available to the general user.

So, if there are problems with something, who fixes it?

If you can't get something to work who do you ask for help?

My experience so far has been that most people on lnet either don't know or don't care to help.

There are a few exceptions, and there are a few that will just outright tell you that you're an asshole and fix it yourself.

Is there some way to organise the lich community so that people know who to go to for assistance?

If a script is available on the repository should the author be expected to support it?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEschaton View Post
    Are our lives now so fragmented and depersonalized that things we should already be doing, like saving those in danger and feeding the homeless, have suddenly become the actions of heroes?

-TheE-

Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    Now that lich has a community of none software engineers using it, can it support them?

My experience so far has been that most people on lnet either don't know or don't care to help.

There are a few exceptions, and there are a few that will just outright tell you that you're an asshole and fix it yourself.

Is there some way to organise the lich community so that people know who to go to for assistance?

If a script is available on the repository should the author be expected to support it?
    The Lich Community is pretty much LNET. If you ask, eventually someone will help you, but of course you'll get those who normally don't help and give the same answers again and again.

I can be a smart ass at times when I'm bored and what not, but i tend to usually help out as best as I can when it boils down to it.

I know I've helped out a few people already with things, even emailed them stuff as well

How it worked in the past was...most of us knew each other and knew whose script was whose. Hell, you could usually tell just from coding style and I still can with a few of the contributors. With the current repository that includes serious fucktons of scripts, its kinda grown out of control if you don't know what your looking for.

Problem is, I've tried to help multiple people and I get the this lich thing is pissing me off, its a piece of shit that never works for me. So, yeah...I pretty much get burned every time I try to help someone, especially from the LNET channel which I've pretty much perma-tuned out of except for one character for the odd comment from someone who doesn't remember to use ;chat :channelname.

As to expecting the author of the script to support it, I doubt it. If contact information is included in the script header, most of the time that is a clear indication they wish to support it for public use. Your more popular scripts have active topics on this forum which have great amounts of information and bug reports, but as with most things...people have to read it. You also deal with programmers who aren't dealing with Gemstone on a day to day basis.

All this being said, I know myself and others still try to help people despite the attitude of the new lich user so if your having problems...post them if you don't get a response from the LNET community.

ADDED via EDIT:
    Lich is still a program that requires you to want to learn something if you want to be proficient. If your just looking for basic maps, travel, and spellup scripts it does that as well. If you go much deeper than that, expect to have people want you to learn it yourself. The Lich community has always been a group of people willing to teach/help those who want to learn, but you can't expect for people to put the candy in your hand. Come to the community having done some research and applied some thought on your own, show us your willing to learn something. Lich was created by a guy wanting to learn Ruby in his spare time, and that mantra has never seemed to fade from the community. I can't say personally why Tillmen continues his contributions, but I would imagine its because he enjoys the language. Ruby has a bright future in the programming world, and anyone who cares to learn a little will definitely see why.
    Last edited by Tordane; 12-13-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added more
    Get Lich (lichproject.org) - Donate to Tillmen - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

4. Default

Well put Tordane.

Down with Ruby! Hooray for PHP!

On a more serious note - the constant questions really got annoying and fast. The majority of LNet users are gimme, gimme, mine, mine, now, now, now which I generally tell to fuck off.
    It must be hard to type with ghostcrawlers penis lodged in your ass. - g++

I know that Spiffy has made some lich scripts, but I have no idea which ones.

Right now the repo is a big jumble of scripts.

It could be segmented in to two groups:

Core Scripts (narost, infomon, autosort, magic, waggle...etc)
    Better know what your doing scripts (bigshot, sloot...etc)

The community could then focus on just supporting the core scripts, and if someone wants to use a more complex script, they better know what they're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEschaton View Post
    Are our lives now so fragmented and depersonalized that things we should already be doing, like saving those in danger and feeding the homeless, have suddenly become the actions of heroes?

-TheE-

If you're attempting to help out, you should write some code. Making obvious suggestions to the coders is more likely going to get you a "fuck off, guy".

Everyone knows that the repository is kind of a mess, and lots of scripts aren't documented at all, but that kind of work is the worst.

Personally, I write scripts for myself and share them with a few friends, or write custom solutions for random people who ask. I have a few things on the repo, but mostly I stay away from the public because of what Spiffy said.

I write scripts because it's fun, and a lot if times it's "hmm I wonder how I could do this.." It's not a service, and the hours and hours it requires to provide support for any script far exceed the time it would take to write. Support, documentation, organization... those are the shitty parts that a lot of script writers probably are forced to do at work, and are happy to not have to do it here.

I look at it this way, if the script doesn't work there is probably something better or its being worked on. There is always someone that can help with core issues so if I have a problem I ask and if I don't get help then I ask latter or post.
    Right now I have scripts that hunt, does bounties, loots and sells, deals with my spells, makes things in my bags easier to see and well a lot more. None of which I could do myself. I think lich is great. I think the people who make these scripts are even greater. So when I don't get an answer to my questions I make do but in all honestly it doesn't happen very often and when it does I look at all of the above.

I know that Spiffy has made some lich scripts, but I have no idea which ones.
    voodoo, krakii, repogui, sammu, sstamina, sloot, spellactive, buddyup

Maybe some more that I probably forgot about.
    It must be hard to type with ghostcrawlers penis lodged in your ass. - g++

Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyJr View Post
    voodoo, krakii, repogui, sammu, sstamina, sloot, spellactive, buddyup

Maybe some more that I probably forgot about.
    Your voln ones for keeping track of favor or doing ranks or something also
    -Sheikh
    The Badass Bard

Gemstone Shattered: A game you don't have to play to enjoy