Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: Strathspey Reveals Spell Idea: Balefire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Official: Strathspey Reveals Spell Idea: Balefire

Quote Originally Posted by GM Strathspey
    For various behind-the-scenes reasons, I've decided to do a couple pieces of the Sorcerer circle review a little early. We're previewing one of these pieces tonight in this post.

Keep in mind as you read this that none of these things are official yet. The team is still reviewing this spell, so any of these details may change at any time.

The current spell in the 713 slot, Nightmare, will be combined with the current spell of Curse to become one of many new features of that spell. In its place will be Balefire, a new ball-type aimed spell. It will use existing ball spell mechanics, meaning among other things that a successful hit can result in an explosion that damages multiple targets, and the Multi-Opponent skill will increase the minimum number of targets struck. Demonology lore will be the factor that increases the maximum number of targets, as well as increasing the amount of damage dealt to the first target.

The damage being done is plasma-based, and features a completely new damage table (for those who like to experiment with such things).

In addition, if the caster has a minor demon present, the demon can be forced to contribute damage to the initial strike at the cost of a few of the demon's mana points, never more than 3. The cost can be reduced based on the sum of the caster's Spiritual Mana Control and Elemental Mana Control bonuses. The damage done by this extra attack will be roughly proportional to the critical damage done by the caster in the initial strike.

The type of damage done will depend on the demon's native valence:
    Grik'tyr: randomly either disintegration or crushing damage
    Shien'tyr: randomly either vacuum or unbalancing damage
    Lorae'tyr: randomly either steam or disruption damage

Example:

>prep 713
    You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Balefire...
    Your spell is ready.
    >cast troll
    You gesture at a jungle troll.
    You hurl a ball of greenish-black flame at a jungle troll!
    AS: +232 vs DS: +66 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +52 = +257
    ... and hit for 66 points of damage!
    Skin blasted away leaving exposed and bloody muscle!
    The jungle troll is stunned!
    An inquisitive pure white imp shudders slightly as chaotic energy is drawn from its form and fused with the attack.
    (Your pure white imp loses 2 mana.)
    ... 20 points of damage!
    Blow leaves an imprint on the jungle troll's chest!
    The ball of greenish-black flame strikes a jungle troll, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
    ... 40 points of damage!
    Intense arc of energy flays the jungle troll's arm to the bone!

A burst of flame from your ball of greenish-black flame flies off and hits a jungle troll.
    ... 45 points of damage!
    Superheated energy causes the artery in the jungle troll's leg to explode!
    It is knocked to the ground!

A burst of flame from your ball of greenish-black flame flies off and hits a jungle troll.
    ... 40 points of damage!
    Searing wave of plasma cuts through skin and muscle on the jungle troll's leg!
    It is knocked to the ground!
    Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

That's with 50 demonology ranks, versus the trolls' natural brigandine-like hide. As you can see, the spell has been completed on the development server, and some of the other GMs have already been trying it out. I can't give any indication of when it might be ready for release, however, because the spell introduces a number of incidental issues like the two below:

I anticipate that people will complain that demons, like most pet-type creatures, have a habit of lagging behind the owner by a few rooms, and that in a combat situation where timing is critical, that bonus attack will often be lost while the demon is catching up to a fast-moving owner. We plan to address that by changing these creatures so that they follow much more quickly, possibly instantly.

People will also be quick to point out that the presence of a direct aimed attack spell represents a major change in the composition of this spell list which makes it similar to the other pure caster's profession lists, and yet there is still a glaring disparity in the lack of a bolt AS enhancer. We already have plans for this, but that will be discussed in another (future) thread.

-Strath
    http://www.play.net/forums/messages....2&message=6605
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Blog Entries

I like it. Nice, straightforward, and sorcerous. Nothing AMAZING about it, but I certainly wouldn't mind having it on the sorcerer spell list. Good stuff. Hopefully, the first of many improvements to come.

That actually sounds pretty bitchin'.

Kudos there.

Nice. At least a summoned demon can give some additional benefit to the spell. I liked how Strath said there is talk about giving an AS bolt enhancer.

Makes sense to combine nightmare into curse.

seems kinda similar to 111 :P

But Balefire is a pretty cool spell in the Wheel of Time books
    Last edited by Morph; 09-19-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Wonder if they will cap the benefits form Demonology. I know Sereg has at least 202 ranks.

And the talk about 'one of many' enahancements to curse is good.

Overall, it looks pretty cool. 13 mana for a ball/bolt spell is the most in the game (I think), except for cone of lightning, but it looks pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by caelric View Post
    And the talk about 'one of many' enahancements to curse is good.

Overall, it looks pretty cool. 13 mana for a ball/bolt spell is the most in the game (I think), except for cone of lightning, but it looks pretty awesome.
    Sounds like it'll be reduced by SMC/EMC, though, so it might not be too bad. It makes a lot of sense for sorcerers to have a ball spell, too, and it's nice that it makes demonology a bit more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarFox View Post
    Sounds like it'll be reduced by SMC/EMC, though, so it might not be too bad.
    Oh, missed that part. Yeah, not bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caelric View Post
    Oh, missed that part. Yeah, not bad.
    No..I think that SMC effects the amount of mana it pulls from your demon.