Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another video game addiction thread/article

Default Another video game addiction thread/article

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461...dicted_p1.html

Not going to inline it, I wouldn't be able to get the format to match the article and the pictures/etc all play into it.

Good read though, something we all know but articulated nicely ... despite knowing this we still jump into these games.

I definitely agree with this paragraph:

The terrible truth is that a whole lot of us begged for a Skinner Box we could crawl into, because the real world's system of rewards is so much more slow and cruel than we expected it to be. In that, gaming is no different from other forms of mental escape, from sports fandom to moonshine.

Quote Originally Posted by AnticorRifling View Post
    Retardo ed rectum absolut (vodka)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    I'd be an awesome woman. So awesome, you would want to fuck me.

I skimmed the article... The only reason I still play WoW and played GS is because of the Social Aspect of people IG. If there wasn't "Vent" I would not be playing WoW anymore. I think this all goes out the window once you've been scammed in an online game. It gives you the reflection and scope of how unimportant IG currency and items are worth.
    Last edited by Drisco; 09-03-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Hrm, I can see that. It must be a real turn on for guys with capped characters having sex with weaker female characters. After you own them in PvP in game you can then have rough sex to demonstrate further owning.
    Quote Originally Posted by radamanthys View Post
    The watermelon kid is photoshopped. I think we should insult the mother.

He also linked to another 'fun read' article (yes I clicked on it because of the word boobies) http://kotaku.com/5384643/i-kept-pla...ming-addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Drisco View Post
    I skimmed the article... The only reason I still play WoW and played GS is because of the Social Aspect of people IG. If there wasn't "Vent" I would not be playing WoW anymore.
    Whatever you have to tell yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Celephais View Post
    Whatever you have to tell yourself.
    Hahah I'm serious! The social aspect keeps me IG. Like it keeps me on these boards. I've made some great friends in vent and on the guild forums that it's kind of a treat to raid because we all get to hang out. Then we play Starcraft together after :P. I don't even like SC but I like playing with the people so I bought the game cause they kept ragging on me to play.
    Last edited by Drisco; 09-03-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Hrm, I can see that. It must be a real turn on for guys with capped characters having sex with weaker female characters. After you own them in PvP in game you can then have rough sex to demonstrate further owning.

Quote Originally Posted by Drisco View Post
    Hahah I'm serious! The social aspect keeps me IG. Like it keeps me on these boards. I've made some great friends in vent and on the guild forums that it's kind of a treat to raid because we all get to hang out. Then we play Starcraft together after :P. I don't even like SC but I like playing with the people so I bought the game cause they kept ragging on me to play.
    I've got it under control, I only do lines with my friends, it's really pretty social. Although they then started bugging me to try shooting it and well... I don't like to, but they're all doing it so I do that on occasion. I've got it under control though. I only do it when I'm with my friends.

I've got it under control, I only do lines with my friends, it's really pretty social. Although they then started bugging me to try shooting it and well... I don't like to, but they're all doing it so I do that on occasion. I've got it under control though. I only do it when I'm with my friends.
    Hahaha! That just opened my eyes to how easily anything can be turned into looking like addictions.
    Last edited by Drisco; 09-03-2010 at 12:13 PM.

He also linked to another 'fun read' article (yes I clicked on it because of the word boobies) http://kotaku.com/5384643/i-kept-pla...ming-addiction
    I read this article too and it reminded me of a few years ago when the boob thread was just getting started.. I made this post after Stef/Diethx put my lolbrielus boobs in her sig:

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Nikkisaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diethx View Post
    Actually i'd think it would have the opposite effect. Instead of reading the post, their gaze would drift to the tits and stick there, until they forgot what they were doing.
    It'll probably just desensitize them. After a while it gets "normal" and you don't notice it so much anymore.
    I got mocked, and chose to let the subject drop instead of bitching about my sex life, but I've been in Emily's position more than a few times and that's where that comment came from. It's one thing that I won't interrupt a baseball game demanding sex but when your sig. other is raiding five nights a week from the time you get home to the time you go to bed and turns you down non-stop (and not just "not now" but with obvious agitation that you'd have the gall to suggest it).. yeah, that's a completely different animal.

Honestly, I hated leveling in WoW. I bought a leveled character and raided casually, when I got bored of it, I sold out. Even with their 'skinner box' tactics I get bored pretty quickly, which I think is why I like games like Rockband or Left4Dead, to me those have way more instant fun gratification. Plus you can use the pause button when it's time to have sex.
    Last edited by Mighty Nikkisaurus; 09-03-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnticorRifling View Post
    Retardo ed rectum absolut (vodka)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    I'd be an awesome woman. So awesome, you would want to fuck me.

I don't care what I'm doing if the wife is suggesting it's go time I'm there. I've left mid raid before and will continue to do so without any thought. Sexing time > all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkein View Post
    That is some weird shit.