Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama to host Ramadan meal

Default Obama to host Ramadan meal

President Obama will host an iftar — the special evening meal observed during Ramadan — on Friday night in the White House dining room.

Obama participated in a similar gathering last year.

Celebrations like iftar dinners "remind us of the principles that we hold in common, and Islam's role in advancing justice, progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings," Obama wrote in a statement Wednesday.

"Ramadan is a celebration of a faith known for great diversity and racial equality ... a reminder that Islam has always been part of America and that American Muslims have made extraordinary contributions to our country."

The dinner comes amid a growing controversy over the proposed construction of an Islamic cultural center in downtown Manhattan, near the site of the World Trade Center. A CNN poll released Wednesday found that 68 percent of the public opposes the project.

Meanwhile, the White House — which has made great efforts to reach out to the Muslim community — has been silent on the issue.

"This is rightly a matter for New York City and the local community to decide," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters on Aug. 3.

Ramadan began on Wednesday and will end around Sept. 10.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...t-ramadan-meal
    __________________________________________________ ______

(Stealing ClydeR's moment)

Thoughts? Incendiary? Have any impact this November? Inflame the old white angry group even more?

Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

HES A SLEEPER MUSLIM AGENT TO BRING US DOWN FROM THE INSIDE!!!!

Anyone who has trouble with this is far too easily offended.

What's incendiary? Why would Obama's Ramadan dinners be such but not George Bush's yearly Ramadan dinners?
    "I am not a hater." - George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

Also, no longer silent on the issue: Obama supports plan for mosque near ground zero
    "I am not a hater." - George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

Typical of a president who wasn't even born in this God-blessed country.
    Razzle them. Dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

I personally dont have a problem with having the dinner. I'm not so sure though that it will settle anything down with the momentum of the anti-Obama crowd gearing up for the polls in November. Although there's really not a way to low-key this event.

I suppose the most that will be made of it is what Obama has to say at the dinner. Bush used it as part of his platform for enjoining Muslim support in fighting the radical part of the faith. Will Obama do the same? Or will this be part of the apology tour?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    I personally dont have a problem with having the dinner. I'm not so sure though that it will settle anything down with the momentum of the anti-Obama crowd gearing up for the polls in November. Although there's really not a way to low-key this event.

I suppose the most that will be made of it is what Obama has to say at the dinner. Bush used it as part of his platform for enjoining Muslim support in fighting the radical part of the faith. Will Obama do the same? Or will this be part of the apology tour?
    I'm voting more of the same, Worldwide Apology Tour 2009-2012.
    "08-04-2009 10:19 AM You make me want to vomit all over you. TheE"

Good

Who has he apologized to thus far?
    I don't want the world; I just want your half.
    Discord BigNasty#8519

I wonder if IW got invited.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

iftaars have great food. there is probably a Muslim community in your area that would be glad to have you, regardless of your beliefs. they may proselytize a little, but that's to be expected being a non-believer at religious gatherings. it's an interesting culture exposure.

as for Obama, he is technically Muslim because of his father. but if he is not practicing Islam that makes him a non-Muslim. the White House iftaar is just public relations guys, no need to get your panties all twisted up about it.

edit: the Islamophobia you guys are experiencing has been engineered by the Government. cities like Philadelphia, for example, will be majority Muslim cities within 20-30 years. the fat cats elitists will probably use the growing religious diversity in this country to spark wars and instability. so, I discourage you from being duped into playing along with this childish and nonsensical hatred and distrust. it's a big mistake.
    Last edited by IorakeWarhammer; 08-14-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAPAuctions View Post
    Jaeden fights with the strength and determination of a divine zealot.
    http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=55156
    Quote Originally Posted by IorakeWarhammer View Post
    you really made a whole thread because you got stunned?