Thread: So you want to own a Restaurant

Default So you want to own a Restaurant

I've read several places where people want to own a restaurant. As it was my dream for years too, I thought I would post the realities of owning one.

Hard, hard work. During season for several weeks I (and the hubby) were working 90 hours a week.

Employee's can be wonderful assets and also a pain in the ass. If one gets sick, or doesn't show up, a lot of the time you have to work their shift, whether its in the kitchen or waitressing. In other words you have to know how to do everything in the rest.
    We call our Rest. as the world turns, because of all the gossip, personality conflicts and drama queens. Practice being a mediator, you will need the skills.
    Same goes with the customers.

I spent weeks doing our menu's, and wanted to change them two days after I had them printed. Prices and menu ideas are one of the most difficult things to get right.

Food quality is tough, I have a Master book of my recipes. I do most of the cooking, but when I'm not there you have to depend on your cooks to get it right. Sometimes they do, sometimes they take shortcuts.

Money.. arrrghhh. Its feast or famine. You have to watch the bottom line at all times. We just discovered that someone was stealing. We know who did it, but we can't prove it, conclusively. If you just fire someone, without *reason* you have to deal with unemployment, so knowing they are stealing, we have to wait for a *mistake* to fire, at the same time hating what they did. WE immediately changed the system that allowed them to take advantage so they know we know, but still it makes me mad everytime I see them.

Constantly changing employee's, rest. are like a revolving door. You are always looking for people. The one's we love, we have to pay them well to keep them and the waitresses stay because of tips. In season its great, out of season its tough.

Location, Location, Location. When you are scouting for a restaurant, make sure your in a good spot. Don't think just because your food is good people will find you. When we bought our place, the location couldn't be better, but it was a dump. It was old and the clientele was rough to say the least. It did a good business, but it was all regulars who had been eating there for 50 years. We had to gut it and replace all the equipment, enlarge it. We sunk 150k into the place. Was it worth it? Yes, but when you go into a project like this make sure you have enough cash to carry you for 2 years without income from the restaurant.

Just a few things to think about.
    Myshel

\\"Absolute certainty is the greatest of all illusions\\"

\\"If A is equal to success then the formula is A= X + Y + Z, where X is work, Y is Play, and Z is keep your mouth shut.\\"
    Albert Einstein

2. Default

If only I was a master chef, I'd come work for you!
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

You forgot to add the crappy hours, the nasty customers who come by occasionally and dealing with the city/state/county etc with permits and all that. Oh the headaches! and i thought our Rest. was the only living daytime soap opera, as of lately though it has turned into a bad Jerry Springer episode. I feel your pain on the 90+ hours a week, when i am not there i am doing something for it or thinking about doing something etc.

So...when exactly is in season?

Originally posted by Marluxian
    You forgot to add the crappy hours, the nasty customers who come by occasionally and dealing with the city/state/county etc with permits and all that. Oh the headaches! and i thought our Rest. was the only living daytime soap opera, as of lately though it has turned into a bad Jerry Springer episode. I feel your pain on the 90+ hours a week, when i am not there i am doing something for it or thinking about doing something etc.
    oh yea, I worked a 12 hour shift today and now I'm baking desserts for tomorrow. We bought our place in Sept. of 02 and it took us 10 months to get all the permits and stuff to renovate. It was a nightmare.

So...when exactly is in season?

Our season starts in Nov. slowly to full swing in January, Feb and March.. slows down and runs though Easter. We are at the tail end now. Already our sales have dropped $300. a day.

[Edited on 4-8-2004 by Myshel]
    Myshel

\\"Absolute certainty is the greatest of all illusions\\"

\\"If A is equal to success then the formula is A= X + Y + Z, where X is work, Y is Play, and Z is keep your mouth shut.\\"
    Albert Einstein

My gf's parents had a restaurant and an house where old people go to waste the rest of their life and die.

They had an house of 24 rooms and all. When we married, her parents bankrupted.

They miss their restaurant, they don't miss their old house where old people go and watch time flows.

Originally posted by StrayRogue
    I\\'ll take a few mill off you if you are still selling.

I was in the restaurant biz for about 5 years. Three as a waitress and 2 as a night manager.

All I have to say is it's a profession of passion to own one. Not of money. I have to salute your guts in taking up the torch.
    If you tell me the Black Cauldron is fake I will cut you so bad people will be like "Damn you got cut bad"! -AnticorRifling.

You can't beat a good Jesus rifle. -ClydeR