Thread: Archery

1. Default Archery

Most of the info in the archery folder pertains to rogues, so I figured I'd start here.

I'm currently a pretty standard 60 train OHE ambusher. I'm thinking about switching to archery, but have a few questions:

1. OHE training costs are more balanced between MTP and PTP. Switching to archery requires far more PTPs, and I end up converting hundreds of PTPs to MTPs. Right now, I don't convert at all. Is this just how every archer has it, or are my stats allocated too inefficiently for this build?

2. I hear a lot of capped rangers talking about open archery, but I'm pretty stuck on sniping from an RP perspective. What are the mechanical differences besides AS and RT? Do snipers get the same DS pushdown that ambushers get? Is 2x perception as accurate for open aiming as 2x perception & 2x ambush for sniping?

3. I'm debating between 2x ambush and 1x ambush + 1x CM. I'm wondering if sniping exposes me to fewer disarm/maneuver attempts, which means I can slide by for longer without worrying about losing a weapon. 2x ambush is expensive, but the extra aiming and AS sounds great to me.

Thoughts?

- Cloakhe

#1 -- Rogues do archery easy.

#2 -- Sniping is for sissies!

Response to #2

That all depends if you plan on soloing warcamps. Staying in the shadows is what keeps me alive in there, though my main is no archer. On that note, however, being able to stay hidden while attacking after sounding the alarm is truly a tempting thing.

4. Default

I just fixskilled over to a sniper build, and I was wrecking grims until I got warcried into 15 seconds of RT.

Constant 608 is a beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsh View Post
    Most of the info in the archery folder pertains to rogues, so I figured I'd start here.

I'm currently a pretty standard 60 train OHE ambusher. I'm thinking about switching to archery, but have a few questions:

1. OHE training costs are more balanced between MTP and PTP. Switching to archery requires far more PTPs, and I end up converting hundreds of PTPs to MTPs. Right now, I don't convert at all. Is this just how every archer has it, or are my stats allocated too inefficiently for this build?

2. I hear a lot of capped rangers talking about open archery, but I'm pretty stuck on sniping from an RP perspective. What are the mechanical differences besides AS and RT? Do snipers get the same DS pushdown that ambushers get? Is 2x perception as accurate for open aiming as 2x perception & 2x ambush for sniping?

3. I'm debating between 2x ambush and 1x ambush + 1x CM. I'm wondering if sniping exposes me to fewer disarm/maneuver attempts, which means I can slide by for longer without worrying about losing a weapon. 2x ambush is expensive, but the extra aiming and AS sounds great to me.

Thoughts?

- Cloakhe
    1) I have stats maxed for cap and do not convert any TPs.
    2) There is no pushdown for archers but they generally have a higher AS to DS than the critters because archery is bolt ds. You won't have any AS issues. The only thing that factors into aiming from hiding is ambush. That said, you still want perception for the cheap AS boost. I 1x ambush and won't be going over that for a very very long time.
    3) If it were me I'd go with 1x ambush + 1x CM.
    It must be hard to type with ghostcrawlers penis lodged in your ass. - g++

No need for any CM with sniping. If you have points available you can get cunning defense, but it's not going to save your life all that much when you get CMAN'ed.

If you're in a camp hidden always have 610 running. Always.

Keep ranger spells at level, the bonuses to 601 (hide), 613 (aiming), 617 (hide) and 618 (dodge) all work off of those ranks. Don't skimp.

You need to hit the eye as much as possible, I always wanted to max ambush but it's debatable how much the difference really is between 1.5x and 2x. Get a sighted bow whenever you can.

If you're in GoS you want to make sure you can run the four combat sigils at all times (or I did, at least). If you're having stamina issues keeping major bane and major protect up for your entire hunt kick some PF up.

Don't worry about converting points--get the skills you need. If you play long enough you're going to use all those banked MTPs to push ranger spells up and make your 616 out of control.

After a certain point in some hunting grounds you'll find yourself just not hiding for whatever reason. If you're staying alive, think about going open archer.

If you have trained in MIU, then I would recommend making some haste amulets. 606 + 509 + Haste = 1 second eye shots = Raping Grimswarm.