Thread: Getting Lich and Psinet to play nice in Vista

Default Getting Lich and Psinet to play nice in Vista

Yes... I know... the OS sucks great big hairy donkey balls. But it's what came with the laptop, and I can't afford a license to upgrade just yet.

So...

I followed the instructions I could find on both psinet's page and lich's page... and I can get one or the other to work, but not both at the same time.

If I login through SGE, I get PsiNet. If I log in through the quick-entry for Lich... I get Lich.

How can I get both to work?

I just gave up on psinet. Don't regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

I just miss grab, with the baggage functionality, and the ability to browse through Atlas. That, and lich doesn't remember my spells from one session to the next... which I'm sure is another Vista issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HSB View Post
    I just miss grab, with the baggage functionality, and the ability to browse through Atlas. That, and lich doesn't remember my spells from one session to the next... which I'm sure is another Vista issue.
    Lich works fine on Vista for me, remembers spells and all.

Probably something to do with UAC and not running lich as administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by HSB View Post
    Tillmen just added grab I'm pretty sure. I thought you couldn't browse through Narost but you can. Right click and "view map". Also ;magic remember my spell info between sessions and I have vista. I'm using waggle to spell up but I don't think that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

Hrm... I'm using swaggle.... time to try waggle.

7. Default

PsiNet, by design, makes it hard to use it with Lich. The directions on the Lich download page should tell you everything you need to know, except for the mysteries of Windows UAC.

To use both PsiNet and Lich, you can't use the Lich game entry. PsiNet will just close on purpose if Lich starts it. You have to use the SGE.

The SGE will start PsiNet, and PsiNet needs to start Lich. For this to happen, Lich needs to be installed to the registry. Double click on lich.rbw and click on the install tab. It should show your current launch order for the game. Right now, I assume it says PsiNet, then Launcher.exe.

You need to click the install button to get Lich in the launch order, but the button should be disabled right now. That's because if Lich stuck itself in the launch chain while PsiNet was installed, it would be Lich starting PsiNet, and you would be unable to connect to the game... because of PsiNet.

Uninstall PsiNet, and then click on the install button in the Lich window (Click the refresh button if the install button is still disabled). The launch order should update immediately, showing three lines for each type of login (website and sge). If it doesn't, you've got Windows Admin/UAC crap to deal with.

As soon as you can log into the game with SGE and have Lich active, you can install PsiNet.
    Get Lich - Vote for Gemstone (topmudsites.com)

8. Default

I also had a lot of 'fun' with my laptop and vista. If you still cant get everything to work, unistall lich and psinet. Go to users, and turn off that annoying thing that always asks you if its ok to run a program in Vista. goto windows run, type regedit then enter. (WARNING BE VERY CAREFUL HERE). Use the 'find' feature and do lich. Delete everything you find. Do the same for psinet. Follow the instructions verbatim on tillmens site. It will all work. Make sure you save your psinet key or you wont be able to chat.