Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Recovery vs. Death's Sting

Default Death Recovery vs. Death's Sting

Death Recovery vs. Death's Sting - POLL · on 3/17/2004 2:08:02 PM 568

An alternative to Death Recovery has been designed and we are looking for your input as to which method, Death Recovery or Death's Sting, would be most appealing to you.

Please read the two options and vote at https://www.play.net/gs4/news/deathpoll.asp.

Please discuss these two options in the Hunting and Game Design Discussions folder, Developer's Corner - Design Discussions subfolder.

Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option One - Death Recovery

When a character dies and is later restored to life, the character will accrue Death Recovery (DR) points. When a character has DR points, half of the character's experience earned will go toward the character's Death Recovery "bucket", while the other half will go towards the character's Experience total. Once the character has fully recovered (DR points have returned to zero), all experience gained will go towards the character's Experience total.

Death Recovery points are assessed at the time of resurrection. Characters will also lose any unabsorbed field experience at the time of resurrection.

DEATH WITH DEEDS AND RESURRECTION
    If a character dies with deeds and is resurrected, the character will accrue 1,000 Death Recovery (DR) points.

DEATH WITH RESURRECTION, BUT WITHOUT DEEDS
    If a character dies without deeds and is resurrected, the character will accrue 10,000 DR points.

DECAYING WITH DEEDS
    If a character decays with deeds, the character will accrue 10,000 DR points.

DECAYING WITHOUT DEEDS
    Say goodbye to permanent death! If a character decays without deeds, the character will accrue 20,000 DR points.

Types of Death DR Points
    Deaths with Deeds and Ressurection 1,000
    Death with Ressurection, No Deeds 10,000
    Decay with Deeds 10,000
    Decay without Deeds 20,000

Characters levels 0-9 will not receive DR Points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option Two - Death's Sting

Upon being restored to life, a character will be in a weakened state, with all stats experiencing a reduction of 40%. The rate of recovery depends on how the character died and was restored to life.

Types of Death Stat Recovery
    Death with Deeds and Ressurection 4% per minute
    Death with Ressurection, No Deeds 2% per minute
    Decay with Deeds 2% per minute
    Decay without Deeds 1% per minute

The Cleric spell, Holy Receptacle (325) - Chrism, can be used to mitigate this weakness, reducing it by up to 50% (to a 20% stat reduction). This will allow characters to prepare for emergencies, like major invasions, and be able to get fallen heroes back into the fray within just a few minutes, if needed, but at a cost of a Chrism gem. Also, characters under level 10 will recover at twice the normal rate.

In addition to the above, the character's max Hit Points (HP) and max mana will be reduced, with the amount based on the way that the character died and the number of times the character has died that level.

Types of Death Temporary Max Health & Mana Reduction
    Death with Deeds and Ressurection 1 per death that level
    Death with Ressurection, No Deeds 2 + 1 per death that level
    Decay with Deeds 2 + 1 per death that level
    Decay without Deeds 5 + 1 per death that level

The modifier for deaths that level will be capped at 5; even if a character has a chronic death problem, the character will not lose more than 5 max health/mana for a normal death with resurrection. The cumulative maximum reduction will be capped at 25% of the character's total, so a character should never get to the point where it is not possible to function. These points will be recouped at a rate of 1 point per 1000 exp gained. The Cleric spell, Holy Receptacle (325) - Chrism, may mitigate this weakness, reducing it by up to 2 points. Characters under level 10 will not lose health or mana for deaths. Characters will also lose any unabsorbed field experience at the time of resurrection.

There will be a means by which characters can recoup these temporary losses other than gaining experience, but it will be costly (silvers).

This message was originally posted in Hunting and Game Design Discussions, Developer's Corner -- Design Discussions. To discuss the above follow the link below.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages....p;message=1919

Death Sting plz omg.

The HP thing pisses me off, though. Like.. a lot.

[Edited on 3-17-2004 by Bobmuhthol]
    Razzle them. Dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Yeah. The first Death's Sting described looks pretty good. Makes more sense, from an in-character perspective too.

Second one sounded good until I got to the part where it says how long it would take.

15 minutes to get all stats back up to snuff (asuming you were resurrected with deeds) doesn't seem that bad.

Being a giant, I really don't care about the HP. But taking away mana? And only gaining it back at 1 mana/1k exp? This is going to totally suck for younger characters (10-20). Warriors and Rogues really won't notice much of a difference, though.

As for the "There will be a means by which characters can recoup these temporary losses other than gaining experience, but it will be costly (silvers).", I'm not sure how I feel about that. You should be able to pay for better armor and weapons, but you shouldn't be able to pay for better stats (even temporarily)
    [11:16] Harmnone: Wezas, shut the fuck up
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuhthol
    My girlfriend plays World of Warcraft better than I do.
    Favorite myspace site: http://myspace.com/badtie

5. Default

How about they start taking learned experience away so that you actually LOSE levels.

I mean fuck, I gained all of 30k in the last 4 months, I'm clearly learning MUCH to fastly. Now the complacent gamers like myself will get a much needed reason to cancel an account. If I only play occasionally, and if I die in an invasion, I just got ass raped for probably a year to regain my abilities, because I DON"T PLAY OFTEN.

Way to reward the customers!
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

I prefer the death sting. DR points are just a pain in the ass. And assuming I'm reading it correctly if you're smart and have deeds the max HP and Mana loss is what? 5 total? Assuming you die 5 times?

What I don't like is the chrism gems. As a cleric the number of people asking for these gems will probably be high. But whatever I don't raise for the most part so it wont effect me too much.

[Edited on 3-17-2004 by Tijay]
    R.I.P. Bushido Brown

Nope, the cap looks to be 25% of your totals that level. What the 5 means I guess is that you never lose more than 6 per death (1+1 per level).

Originally posted by Tijay
    I prefer the death sting. DR points are just a pain in the ass. And assuming I'm reading it correctly if you're smart and have deeds the max HP and Mana loss is what? 5 total? Assuming you die 5 times?

What I don't like is the chrism gems. As a cleric the number of people asking for these gems will probably be high. But whatever I don't raise for the most part so it wont effect me too much.

[Edited on 3-17-2004 by Tijay]
    Yes, max is 5 per death.

However, you could have a temporary max of 75% of your normal max.

So if you normally would have 100 health, if you die repeatedly, you may end up at 75 max health (mimimum) till you "recover" the 25% remainder.

That's how I interpreted it.

I don't like it.

Originally posted by Edaarin
    Nope, the cap looks to be 25% of your totals that level. What the 5 means I guess is that you never lose more than 6 per death (1+1 per level).
    Agreed, you lose 25% of your mana and health and only gain it back at the rate of 1mp/hp per 1k exp? (Assuming you've died (not decayed) w/ deeds 7 times (1+2+3+4+5+5+5), which I'm sure some of you have

So, lets say I have 240 mana and 240 health. I lose 60 mana and 60 health (mana basically negates the fact that I doubled in harness power). It will take me 60k exp to gain it all back?

Ouch.
    [11:16] Harmnone: Wezas, shut the fuck up
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuhthol
    My girlfriend plays World of Warcraft better than I do.
    Favorite myspace site: http://myspace.com/badtie

How about we go back to the old system and just get rid of going demonic and replacing it with a 20k exp penalty?