Thread: help with skills

Default help with skills

So at 61 trains, a solo hunting ohe ambusher needs to prepare for spellburst areas. I have no idea what to tweak to survive there. I would like to be able to pick at least my own boxes and maybe a little higher if possible. Currently in brig, sword/board with med. shield.

(at level 61), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
    Skill Name | Current Current
    | Bonus Ranks
    Armor Use..........................| 126 33
    Shield Use.........................| 210 110
    Combat Maneuvers...................| 188 88
    Edged Weapons......................| 226 126
    Ambush.............................| 226 126
    Physical Fitness...................| 161 61
    Dodging............................| 224 124
    Arcane Symbols.....................| 90 20
    Magic Item Use.....................| 15 3
    Harness Power......................| 35 7
    Disarming Traps....................| 254 154
    Picking Locks......................| 254 154
    Stalking and Hiding................| 229 129
    Perception.........................| 229 129
    Climbing...........................| 124 32
    Swimming...........................| 124 32
    Ummm Yeah......

For spellburst you need to train in MIU, AS, HP, lores mostly.....knowing spells adds also. If you have the ability to learn the spell but do not the spell costs less to wear.....if you have no ability to know the spell it costs more to wear it......bard spells I don't think count....colors count as 1 mana....statues, disk don't count

rough estimate to get started is the ranks in MIU + AS + HP / 3 = x

x is the basic amount you can wear adding up the last two numbers of the spell

503 + 509 = 12 mana
    414 = 7 mana (1/2 due to you can know it)

That is a basic low down.

The formula really isn't known now, but that will give you a start point.

Also, Maaghara tower mobiles are stripped if you don't have knowledge of the spell.

Good luck, and expect to burst a couple times figuring it out.

AK

I just have to ask what the deal is with 33 ranks of armor use?
    http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Armor_Use

Blog Entries

Armor Skills? Although that won't really give him enough for a second rank.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

the armor ranks were just enough to wear the brig with no penalties. He's been gone for a year so that new armor skill is something else i need to look at. Just not sure what i can drop and still be an effective hunter/picker to bring up the MIU/AS/HP.
    Ummm Yeah......

Out of my mind. (Northern Illinois, same diff)

Could theoretically drop down to 1x shield use... could 1x CM, but perhaps he wants that up for the maneuvers.

Could drop 2 ranks each swim/climb, more than he needs for where he can hunt right now. Though if he wants to do the Temple, the swim will have to go up as he nears that goal.
    ~ The Beguiler ~

...Here is Belladonna, The Lady of the Rocks, The lady of situations.
    Here is the man with three staves, and here the Wheel,
    And here is the one-eyed merchant, and this card,
    Which is blank, is something he carries on his back,
    Which I am forbidden to see. I do not find
    The Hanged Man. Fear death by water...

... T.S. Eliot "The Waste Land"

Quote Originally Posted by LeDru View Post
    the armor ranks were just enough to wear the brig with no penalties. He's been gone for a year so that new armor skill is something else i need to look at. Just not sure what i can drop and still be an effective hunter/picker to bring up the MIU/AS/HP.
    That's what I was saying, 30 ranks covers brig penalties (33 would be uselessly overtrained for something or needlessly undertrained for something else).

If you intend to stay in brig, I'd suggest 50 ranks of AU. It's still under 1x and you get 2 armor specialization ranks.

If you intend to use spells, I'd say 100 ranks of AU with aug chain is probably the sweet spot. You earn a 3rd rank of specialization and get MnE penalties minimized at 90 ranks and the 1st tier of AP reduction at 100 ranks.

If you don't intend to use spells, I'd go for 90 ranks and use hauberk or MBP. You train them off at 80 and get the 3rd rank of specialization at 90. Which you choose largely depends upon how much you're willing to take evade penalties and whether or not you have flaring accessories. Of course, nothing is stopping you from switching between them according to what you want to hunt.

With respect to your actual query, I second dropping shield to 1x. Also, you could probably drop perception some too (1.5x is probably good enough for you). I wouldn't take it over 2x in your case. It doesn't help with aiming blows with melee weapons and it's going to provide marginal impact for spotting traps with your disarm ranks what they are. It does provide maneuver defense, though (not that we know how much).