Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Weightless Container, High-End Aug Chain, Gem Chisel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
    Heh. Well in that case, yes, I imagine you've had a chance to make back your money.

I'd love a gem chisel, it'd be perfect for my character to have, but no way am I dropping more than 25m on one of those, tops. Just not worth it.
    I don't think you're considering the intrinsic value of the chisels either. After all is said and done you'd be able to sell the chisel for about what you bought it for. That and even if the chisels only increased overall gem value by about 20% (after all losses), so you'd need 125m worth of gems to "double your investment", a person in the tier this is aimed at (read: likely capped, likely playing more than is normal) would probably take less than a year.

Essentially this becomes a lifetime transferable annuity based on how actively you gather treasure, the intrinsic value will always make the pricetag seem absurd.

Pretty sure I was the last one to move a chisel, unless my buyer got rid of it. I sold it for $1200.

I don't recall who it was, but it was a female with a long character name. She said she had owned one in years prior, but got rid of it when leaving the game, and decided to get another when she saw mine for sale after coming back to the game. She obviously liked hers enough to buy another even at a much higher price later.

This chisel was Durfins, he sold it to someone, and that someone or someone who bought it from that someone, sold it to me. Pretty sure it moved more then once between him and me though. Seems like I recall it moved like 4 times or something within 6-10 months.(edit: actually seems like fallensaint? may have bought it from durfin, then a guy bought it from him and sold it to me later when he left the game as part of an account deal.)

I still have some of my data I collected on it and the gems I chiseled somewhere. Though I didn't get very far.

And for those of you who are talking it down because of the purchase price and how long it would take you to get it back. You have to realize how it works in conjunction with a bard. And how SUPER fast someone like Gnimble can procure gems from the capped hunting areas if they wanted to.

I had a certain post cap character supplying me with a small sampling of 'left-over' gems from his hunting adventures. I was easily able to purchase several thousand a week if I wished. And included in those was a ton of higher quality gems like diamonds and emeralds and such.

Now imagine collecting gems from more than one such individual, and going through only high end gems.

Once you bard sing those to 10k, and THEN chisel them for an average 23%~ you can make a ton of money.

With a bard, the chisel, and capped trading skill, it is a pretty brisk business if you have the time and effort to put into it. At the time I had a barely post cap bard trained for maxed purifying, and a post cap elf character with capped Charisma, and trading skill, plus a few enchancives(which I don't recall if the enhancives worked). It was very common to sell a diamond/emerald for 20k or near to it.

Also, before I had them fix the bug where you could RE-chisel the same gem multiple times until it busts at some point, you could have made millions in a day. I believe when I discovered that, I had tried it on one gem, on accident. But after that first time, and realizing what I had done, I was like WTF? Tried it some more, less than 10? times. And I had a gem worth almost 50k. Woulda been super awesome if that wasn't a bug.
    Last edited by AestheticDeath; 10-19-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celephais View Post
    I don't think you're considering the intrinsic value of the chisels either. After all is said and done you'd be able to sell the chisel for about what you bought it for. That and even if the chisels only increased overall gem value by about 20% (after all losses), so you'd need 125m worth of gems to "double your investment", a person in the tier this is aimed at (read: likely capped, likely playing more than is normal) would probably take less than a year.

Essentially this becomes a lifetime transferable annuity based on how actively you gather treasure, the intrinsic value will always make the pricetag seem absurd.
    I get that, but I just don't really have an interest in that sort of thing. If I buy a toy, I want it to be permanent, and I don't want to run the risk of something devaluing the initial investment later (release of more chisels, natural market fluctuations, new information about the buy/sell formula, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by AestheticDeath View Post
    And for those of you who are talking it down because of the purchase price and how long it would take you to get it back. You have to realize how it works in conjunction with a bard. And how SUPER fast someone like Gnimble can procure gems from the capped hunting areas if they wanted to.
    I am a near-cap bard :P And even Gnimble seems to be of the opinion that the profit margin is slim.

I had a certain post cap character supplying me with a small sampling of 'left-over' gems from his hunting adventures. I was easily able to purchase several thousand a week if I wished. And included in those was a ton of higher quality gems like diamonds and emeralds and such.

Now imagine collecting gems from more than one such individual, and going through only high end gems.
    Sounds like a nifty scheme, but not what most people have access to.

Once you bard sing those to 10k, and THEN chisel them for an average 23%~ you can make a ton of money.
    How? The numbers I ran earlier in this thread were about twice as generous as what you're putting forth here, AND I was assume perfect results. The sheer amount of time it would take to sing to all these gems is daunting. Maybe if GS is your full-time job, I guess...

I get that, but I just don't really have an interest in that sort of thing. If I buy a toy, I want it to be permanent, and I don't want to run the risk of something devaluing the initial investment later (release of more chisels, natural market fluctuations, new information about the buy/sell formula, etc.)
    I think you have to realize then that this sort of item just isn't for you. There are people with the entrepreneurialship (can I "ial" that?) to make it work.

I think you have to realize then that this sort of item just isn't for you. There are people with the entrepreneurialship (can I "ial" that?) to make it work.
    If by "entrepreneurial skill" you mean "access to multiple characters for gem gathering and enough time to play GS as if it were a full-time job", then I would agree.

I think it sucks that that the things have become so expensive that they're not worth it for someone playing the game "normally", because from an IC-perspective, I am EXACTLY who something like that is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumi
    But acting like no one deserves one or should even express interest in one just because it's been inflated to a stupidly high relative cost is pretty shitty.
    When did I say this?
    .. I still stand by that. I never said that "No one" deserves it, and I said nothing about expressing interest. I simply stated that I don't think the item is for you. So you pulled 10m in 2 months... okay, 18 months to go.

GS is a goal oriented game, a LONG TERM goal oriented game. How long did it take you to get to the level you're at? I'm guessing more than 18 months. If a chisel really fits your character, this is obtainable.

.. I still stand by that. I never said that "No one" deserves it,
    Quote Originally Posted by Celephais
    I think you have to realize then that this sort of item just isn't for you.
    How exactly do you interpret that? If they released a runestaff that gave +100 to Demo and Necro lore ranks, but some ranger had the biggest bankroll at the auction and decided to buy it out for more than any sorcerer could afford, would you say that the runestaff wasn't for a sorcerer?

A gem chisel would be a pretty good item for a bard rockhound who takes pride in creating extremely high quality gems. Whether or not it's affordable for said bard is another story.

So you pulled 10m in 2 months... okay, 18 months to go.
    That was in response to Drew's comment that I'm choosing hunting over making money. Hunting IS how I make money. I also realize that other people are more efficient than me, I wasn't trying to claim that I'm some kind of amazing profit generator (I know I'm not).

But 10m in 2 months is a pretty big deal to a guy who has been playing for about 15 years and has a grand total of 35m in the bank, and owns a single 8-figure item (my familiar flute, which I will never, ever sell).

You aren't exactly who something like that is for if you aren't throwing coins at it right this moment.

It is one of a very old set of items, which hasn't been replicated since, and most likely never will be. They nerf more old items than they replicate.

And yes, the 'profit' side does not come from someone who half asses the game with a couple hours a day or less, or someone who role plays.

As far as my experience went, I AFK scripted the purifying portion of the whole thing. And more than doubling the raw vendor value of the gems is awesome no matter how you go about it. The fact that you can get very close to the same price without the chisel doesn't really matter. This is an item for those who want to go that one extra step, and maximize profit. Not just increase it.

Quote Originally Posted by AestheticDeath View Post
    You aren't exactly who something like that is for if you aren't throwing coins at it right this moment.
    So...the only people it's for are the ones who can keep up with the insane inflation of the market? Yah, that makes sense. And a master quality instrument isn't meant for any bard who can't cough up 25m, right?

Who an item would fit and who can necessarily afford it aren't always the same thing.

And yes, the 'profit' side does not come from someone who half asses the game with a couple hours a day or less, or someone who role plays.
    So again, this comes down to "if you have a real job, instead of playing GS as your major 40-hour-a-week commitment, you don't deserve nice things"?

As far as my experience went, I AFK scripted the purifying portion of the whole thing. And more than doubling the raw vendor value of the gems is awesome no matter how you go about it. The fact that you can get very close to the same price without the chisel doesn't really matter. This is an item for those who want to go that one extra step, and maximize profit. Not just increase it.
    The bolded part is certainly one reason why I have a problem with your approach, and definitely why I don't think the chisels should be relegated to people who approach GS like automatons.

As for the rest, what the hell else do you think I would do with a chisel? Of course you purify first. Why else would I want it?

So again, this comes down to "if you have a real job, instead of playing GS as your major 40-hour-a-week commitment, you don't deserve nice things"?
    You're aware this works like everything else in life, right? I can understand your frustration, but that's the way it is... Nice things go to those who work hard for them or exploit the hard work of others... or are lucky.