Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Deadly

Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyJr View Post
    Have you ever had to restore using mozy? I have a friend whose hard drive died last year. He used mozy for his backups and couldn't figure out how to get his data restored. Ended up calling them and they told him that the program was tied to a unique identifier on that drive. Told him he would have to download all the files off their web interface to restore them.. Which not only is a major pita for a lot of files but has a bandwidth per day cap. You get what you pay for.
    Last edited by septus; 10-20-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Well the real point is that off-site backup is only really a useful contingency when it comes to things like natural disaster. Short of recovering from a fire/earthquake/etc, buying a spare external drive will satisfy your needs. Theft also, I suppose.

A pretty feasible and cheaper off-site backup idea is (assuming you have your own on-site backup) to just have 2 spare hard drives. Transfer your on-site backup to one of the drives and leave it at your parents house, your storage space, your work, your friends house, your safe deposit box, etc. Every so often when you go to the storage site (every Christmas, for example), transfer your on-site backup to the other spare drive and swap them (take the old off-site backup home). Repeat. It's like a one-time $100 investment (as a high-end estimation) and rotating the drives gives the opportunity to safeguard against any random drive failure. It's inconvenient to restore but you only need to if your house catches on fire (getting your data ASAP might be the least of your worries).

There's also a firefox extension which allows you to use your gmail account as file storage. I think the long and short of it is that it stores the files as email attachments and the extension just provides a mail client that looks like an FTP client. Anyway, that's free and it's about 7GB of space. Some people are attracted to the portable options.

Privacy-wise, there's plenty of ways to encrypt with either method.

What's wrong with a thumb drive?
    That's where my shit goes.

4. Default

Yeah.. uh. I found the scripts in an old email. Problem solved. Yay gmail.

Quote Originally Posted by septus View Post
    Have you ever had to restore using mozy? I have a friend whose hard drive died last year. He used mozy for his backups and couldn't figure out how to get his data restored. Ended up calling them and they told him that the program was tied to a unique identifier on that drive. Told him he would have to download all the files off their web interface to restore them.. Which not only is a major pita for a lot of files but has a bandwidth per day cap. You get what you pay for.
    Client Restore

The easiest and best way to restore files is via the MozyHome client installed on your computer. For additional details and instructions, click on a restore method below.

* Client Restore — Restore selected files using the MozyHome client.

Client Restore

You can restore previous versions of files from the MozyHome Configuration window:
    1. Right-click on the MozyHome icon in the system tray (near your clock) and select "Configure" from the menu.
    2. Once the Configuration window loads, click on the "Restore" tab.
    3. Select the files or folders you want to restore.
    4. Click the "Restore" button.

For more info, see the "Restoring Backed Up Files" section of MozyHome client manual.
    * Virtual Drive — Restore files using the MozyHome virtual drive via Windows Explorer.

Virtual Drive Restore

MozyHome creates a virtual drive on your computer which you can use to view or restore your backed up files. To restore files from your virtual drive:
    1. Open My Computer (on your desktop or the Start menu).
    2. Click the drive labeled "MozyHome."
    3. Navigate to the folders or files you wish to restore.
    4. Right-click on the folder/file.
    5. Select either "Restore" or "Restore To."

For more info, see the "Restoring Backed Up Files" section of MozyHome client manual.
    * Right-Click Restore — Restore versions of files by right-clicking in Windows Explorer.

DVD Restore via FedEx — Have your restored files delivered to you on DVDs. Please allow 2-5 business days for order processing, and an additional 24 hours for shipping. A shipping and processing fee will be charged to your credit card on file.

Any of these methods works on any computer. I'm not sure wtf he was doing or told you.
    It must be hard to type with ghostcrawlers penis lodged in your ass. - g++