View Poll Results: Which team would put up more of a challange against the Yankees?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Detroit Tigers

5 45.45%
  • Minnesota Twins

6 54.55%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tigers at Twins 1 Game Playoff

Default Tigers at Twins 1 Game Playoff

Is anyone else watching this insanely good baseball game? I'm not really rooting for either team, but its an unbelievable game. Its been back and forth and now its in the bottom of the 12th. It doesn't get much better. Its on TBS if you're curious.

-Reawing
    Last edited by Reawing; 10-06-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Editted the inning

I'm watching it's a pretty good game, rooting for the Twins because as a Yankee fan that's who I'd rather play.

I'm watching the updates on espn. awesome
    PB: One day you'll need this number: 988.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'm watching it's a pretty good game, rooting for the Twins because as a Yankee fan that's who I'd rather play.
    I agree. As a Yank fan, I think the Twins are less able to put together a cohesive 1st round bid. The Tigers could still get Verlander in for game 2 and, wheras the Twins have had to bust ass for all 163, full speed ahead. I voted that the Tigers would play the Yanks tougher.

-Reawing

Go Twins!
    Khaladon starts to turn the crystal knob, but stops with a frightened look on his face. He begins shaking uncontrollably and flies across the room, as though by some invisible force.

**SPLAT!!** Khaladon careens off the far wall, slides down the smooth wood panelling and collapses into a quivering heap on the floor, with only his dignity bruised.

Congratulations to the Minnesota Twins. Now its time to lose to the Yanks.

Goodness gracious, Detroit Tigers. Way to cap off that Mets-esque September collapse.

I have to imagine that it's hard enough being a human being in Detroit, given the impact of the economic meltdown on the city's economy and the fact that it hasn't always been the nicest place on Earth to begin with. But:

Detroit Pistons: Total tank job last season, blew up the team

Detroit Red Wings: Lost to a young Pittsburgh Penguins team in the Cup Finals, team isn't getting any younger. It's sad when your NHL franchise is your bright spot.

Detroit Tigers: Up by, what, 7 games at the beginning of September? Not quite the '07 Mets, but a noble effort.

Detroit Shock: It's also sad when your WNBA team is your second brightest spot.

Detroit Lions:
    "Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change." - André Gide

You search the halfling baker.
    He didn't carry any silver.
    Interesting, he carried a frosted orange cookie on him.

I just got back from the game.

I've been to a lot of baseball games, and I think this was the most exciting game I've ever been to. It was crazy-good, with ups and downs for both teams and a sea-saw match up of two teams fighting with absolutely everything they had right up till the last out. Simply amazing.

Even the managers. It was like watching two chess masters in a duel of cunning but subtle trickery. I found myself asking, "now why didn't Gardenhire put Casila in to run for this player instead of that?" And two plays later I see why. They walked the right people in the right places, faced the right hitters with the right pitchers, or at least the right match ups, and both used damn near every position player and available pitcher they had.

And if that weren't enough, it went freakin' extra innings, during which the Tigers took the lead, then the Twins tied it again and then finally won it in the twelfth! Amazing and fitting that game 163 wasn't enough extra baseball, so it had to go extra innings too!

And how fitting is it that in the very last "regular" season game ever in the metrodome, they set a single game attendance record?

I have my tickets for the ALDS already: waited in line after the game at the box office. Sa-weet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Archigeek View Post
    I just got back from the game.

I've been to a lot of baseball games, and I think this was the most exciting game I've ever been to. It was crazy-good, with ups and downs for both teams and a sea-saw match up of two teams fighting with absolutely everything they had right up till the last out. Simply amazing.

Even the managers. It was like watching two chess masters in a duel of cunning but subtle trickery. I found myself asking, "now why didn't Gardenhire put Casila in to run for this player instead of that?" And two plays later I see why. They walked the right people in the right places, faced the right hitters with the right pitchers, or at least the right match ups, and both used damn near every position player and available pitcher they had.

And if that weren't enough, it went freakin' extra innings, during which the Tigers took the lead, then the Twins tied it again and then finally won it in the twelfth! Amazing and fitting that game 163 wasn't enough extra baseball, so it had to go extra innings too!

And how fitting is it that in the very last "regular" season game ever in the metrodome, they set a single game attendance record?

I have my tickets for the ALDS already: waited in line after the game at the box office. Sa-weet!!
    Yah, amazing game.

Jealous Paul, getting Sox tix out here is insane for the ALDS, let alone if get to the ALCS.

Glad you got to see it live, that's awesome.

~Paul

Oh, and as for who would be the better match up for the Yankees, we had this discussion at work today too. I tend to agree with you Yankee fans, that Detroit has the better playoff makeup. Any team with an ace pitcher with completely nasty stuff is going to be a much bigger challenge because of the breaks in the playoff system. Make it two aces and you become the team to beat. Detroit has one bonified ace, Verlander, who can throw 98 mile an hour heat, with accuracy no less! And he has a decent slider and curve ball too. Not as good as Greinke's slider, which is wicked good, but it's decent. So yeah, you'd have had a tougher time with Detroit... at least on paper.

But don't forget. When the Twins were last in NY, playing the Yanks, all 4 of those games were Yankee wins, but they were also all very close games and decided in the final inning. I guess the only category where the Twins lead is in that they have incredible heart and never say die. How many games that's good for is anyone's guess. Oh, and they do have Joe Mauer, the AL MVP, awaiting his crown.