View Poll Results: Should it be legal for employers to penalize fat employees?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should be legal for employers to penalize fat employees.

15 42.86%
  • No, it should NOT be legal for employers to penalize fat employees.

20 57.14%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Penalize Fat Employees?

Question Penalize Fat Employees?

Congress is seriously considering proposals to provide tax credits or other subsidies to employers who offer wellness programs that meet federal criteria. In addition, lawmakers said they would make it easier for employers to use financial rewards or penalties to promote healthy behavior among employees.

Two Democratic senators working on comprehensive health legislation, Max Baucus of Montana, the chairman of the Finance Committee, and Tom Harkin of Iowa, have taken the lead in devising such incentives.

More...
    Critics say that holding people financially responsible for their health behavior is potentially unfair and that employers have no business prying into their employees’ private lives.

Lewis Maltby, president of the National Workrights Institute, a research and advocacy group, said financial rewards and penalties were often a form of lifestyle discrimination. “You are supposed to be paid on the basis of how you do your job, not how often you go to the gym or how many cheeseburgers you eat,” Mr. Maltby said.
    I applaud this move, so long as Congress does not impose regulations limiting employers' discretion in giving rewards and imposing penalties. Employer's should be able to charge fat employees more for their health insurance or even to fire fat people. There are way too many fat people around where I live already, and this might motivate some of them to stop being so lazy.

If it works, though, it'll make the Social Security problem even worse.

Being fat today is what smoking was 15 years ago. And look where smokers have come in the last 15 years. It's something the fat readers of this forum should consider.

So says Clyde.

P.S. If you respond negatively to this post, everybody will know you're fat.
    Last edited by ClydeR; 05-15-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Add P.S.
    There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    even to fire fat people.
    I think they should be able to fire people who feel like it's their place to tell others how to live their lives.

And yes, I'm overweight.

Grind them into Soylent Green. We'll eat for YEARS.

Srsly, would you want to work next to this guy?

Attachment 2744
    Last edited by ElvenFury; 06-11-2009 at 09:37 AM.

I'm all for penalizing fat employees as long as we fire stupid employees first without worry of being sued for stepping on their rights. And no, I'm not fat.

I like the idea but I think you'd have to extend it to smokers and probably even drinkers. We've already done threads on this I think.

7. Default

I would have no problem working next to that guy if he can DO HIS JOB.

What is the most important thing for an employee? TO DO THEIR JOB.

If I want to go home at the end of the day and pray to Allah, hit the bong, or stuff a handful of cheeseburgers down my throat, it's my business. You, my neighbor, or my boss should have no say in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeR View Post
    P.S. If you respond negatively to this post, everybody will know you're fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    You just got Kong'd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenFury View Post
    Grind them into Soylent Green. We'll eat for YEARS.
    And it's all natural and fully renewable. Win-win. Well, except for the person you're eating.

Also, I rather suspect Clyde is 350 pounds. Must suck to never see one's own toes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

My workplace started to charge smokers more for benefits. Overweight people are next I imagine.