Page 1 of 128 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Random (official) GM posts

Default Random (official) GM posts

With all the folders on the officials, sometimes there's useful (in varying degrees) information buried in odd threads or from conversations that have taken different courses. I figured a place to keep them in no particular order or topic would be beneficial. Especially due to the official boards being junk.

I'll start.

Phantasmal Beastial Swordsmen · on 4/4/2009 6:06:51 PM 582
    The special ability of the swordsmen, to vanish and reappear thus negating your attack seems to have a fairly high % rate of triggering.

I was just wondering exactly what that % is. By my own, admitedly untrained counting, it seems to be about 20% of the time.

My other question is, how does that factor into EBP? Which one 'rolls' for triggering first? Does the 'vanish ability' roll first, or does it go through the whole EBP first?

Is there a way to negate their 'vanish ability' besides phase? It would seem to reason they should not be able to do it if they are in RT. Of course, that's ascribing a quality of will to the ability, rather it could be reflexive.

Re: Phantasmal Beastial Swordsmen · on 4/4/2009 6:11:30 PM 583
    >>I was just wondering exactly what that % is. By my own, admitedly untrained counting, it seems to be about 20% of the time.

10%.

>>My other question is, how does that factor into EBP? Which one 'rolls' for triggering first? Does the 'vanish ability' roll first, or does it go through the whole EBP first?

Vanish triggers before EBP.

>>Is there a way to negate their 'vanish ability' besides phase? It would seem to reason they should not be able to do it if they are in RT. Of course, that's ascribing a quality of will to the ability, rather it could be reflexive.

Nope. It works identically to other non-corp undead phase out abilities insofar as Phase (704) is your only chance at guaranteed avoidance.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
    Voln/CoL Guru

Blog Entries

Yeah. Tons of stuff like this. I try to post the most relevant stuff, but I will try to throw the rest of it in here when I come across it.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

Thread= Winnar.

Carry on.
    Last edited by radamanthys; 04-04-2009 at 10:43 PM.

8/10/2008-repost by khariz

Originally Posted by GM Coase
    In response to player concerns, we have modified our previous changes to the padding system:

Padded partial armor has been restored to allow its padding to give full protection to partially covered areas by default. If an armor accessory with the same type of padding is worn over top of either full coverage or partial armor, then only the highest level of padding will apply. For example, lightly damage padded full plate in combination with a heavily damage padded helm would result in heavy damage padding on hits to the head and light damage padding on every other type of hit.

If padded armor is combined with specially enhanced armor accessories (or vice versa), then the previously announced system of averaging bonuses will continue to be used. Specially enhanced armor includes: differing types of padding (i.e. combining damage and critical padding on a hit location), armor that is resistant to specific damage types, blessed armor, TD enhancing armor, flaring armor, and spiked armor.

Added second part due to Evarin's forgetfulness...

QUESTION:
    >>This has come up several times but we've never received a definitive answer from the staff. Do enhancive armor accessories act as 'specially enhanced' pieces(as per your earlier and very informative post) when determining final bonuses for stacked armor?
    -Droit

ANSWER:
    >No, it does not.
    -Coase
    Last edited by thefarmer; 04-05-2009 at 12:28 AM.

================================================== ===============================

Re: Does Silent Strike work with Aim? · on 9/4/2008 5:07:28 PM 11468

IOI: 4

I just posted a reply to the other thread, but to sum up:

Aimed strike using AMBUSH - Full crit modifier
    Silent Strike (may not be aimed) - Full crit modifier
    Regular attack from hiding - Half crit modifier

(The DS pushdown is the same in all cases.)

- Consigliere Ildran, Shizlock Holmesplice

Re: Does Silent Strike work with Aim? · on 9/6/2008 8:56:56 AM 11475

>If I have a target set (aim head) and ambush from hiding "ambush" I get full crit modifier, and aiming bonus?

Yep, AMBUSH {target} with a default aiming location set works exactly the same as doing AMBUSH {target} {default aiming location}.

https://www.play.net/forums/messages...&message=11475

Re: Does Silent Strike work with Aim? · on 9/5/2008 8:57:22 PM 11473

IOI: 3
    >The difference between #3 and 4 I believe being that #3 puts you in more RT, so hopefully would have a better crit modifier than #4.

Short version from other thread: #3 does give you extra RT for no benefit. Use #4.

Talking about these numbers:
    1 Aimed strike using AMBUSH - Full crit modifier
    2 Silent Strike (may not be aimed) - Full crit modifier
    3 Unaimed strike using AMBUSH - half crit modifier + extra RT
    4 ATTACK from hiding - Half crit modifier

Here ya go, Nova.

https://www.play.net/forums/messages...&message=11468
    https://www.play.net/forums/messages...&message=11473

>Well, now. That's interesting. A fact about ambushing of which I was entirely unaware. Given that I'm not in game and don't really have time to go experiment at the moment, a clarification request. If you use an unaimed ambush, do you get no benefit whatsoever, or do you still get the DS pushdown but not the crit modifier?

Any attack from hiding (regardless of the command used) gets the same DS pushdown. Note that unaimed attacks from hiding get half of the crit modifier, not none. By "doesn't get you anything" I meant "doesn't get you anything beyond what you'd get by using ATTACK".

- Ildran
    http://www.play.net/forums/messages....&message=13055.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>Actually Zyllah, Oscuro said that warriors had a huge bonus to dodge the roa'ter burrow, not rogues.
    You're both right. Warriors had the largest professional bonus, then Rogues had the 2nd largest. I don't recall any other professions getting a bonus. As it stands now, Warriors and Rogues are more likely to be the classes that have the appropriate training to most successfully dodge and/or mitigate roa'ter burrows.

And as an on-topic side note: Hurray for armor specializations! I'm loving "spelling people up" with my new Rogue buff.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Quote Originally Posted by thefarmer View Post
    8/10/2008-repost by khariz

In response to player concerns, we have modified our previous changes to the padding system:

Padded partial armor has been restored to allow its padding to give full protection to partially covered areas by default. If an armor accessory with the same type of padding is worn over top of either full coverage or partial armor, then only the highest level of padding will apply. For example, lightly damage padded full plate in combination with a heavily damage padded helm would result in heavy damage padding on hits to the head and light damage padding on every other type of hit.

If padded armor is combined with specially enhanced armor accessories (or vice versa), then the previously announced system of averaging bonuses will continue to be used. Specially enhanced armor includes: differing types of padding (i.e. combining damage and critical padding on a hit location), armor that is resistant to specific damage types, blessed armor, TD enhancing armor, flaring armor, and spiked armor.

Added second part due to Evarin's forgetfulness...

QUESTION:
    >>This has come up several times but we've never received a definitive answer from the staff. Do enhancive armor accessories act as 'specially enhanced' pieces(as per your earlier and very informative post) when determining final bonuses for stacked armor?
    -Droit

ANSWER:
    >No, it does not.
    -Coase
    Here's the full version:

Returning to the original examples given, here is how they would be affected by this revision:

Player is wearing "decently" damage padded light leather and no helm. He gets hit in the head. He would have an effective damage padding level of "decent". [The base padding level is that of the partial armor]

Player is wearing "decently" damage padded light leather and a "very heavily" damage padded helm. He gets hit in the head. He would have an effective damage padding level of "very heavy". [Only the best level of damage padding is applied]

Player is wearing "decently" damage padded light leather and a "heavily" crit padded helm. He gets hit in the head. He would have an effective damage padding level of "fair" and an effective crit padding level of "somewhat" ([decent + 0] / 2 = fair, [very heavy + 0] / 2 = somewhat). [No change]

Player is wearing "somewhat" damage padded half plate and no leg greaves. He gets hit in the legs. He would have an effective damage padding level of "somewhat" (full protection), as half plate fully covers the legs. [No change]

Player is wearing "somewhat" damage padded half plate and is wearing "very heavily" damage padded leg greaves. He gets hit in the legs. He would have an effective damage padding level of "very heavy". [Again, only the best level of one particular padding type is applied]

Player is wearing "somewhat" damage padded half plate and puts on unpadded leg greaves. He gets hit in the legs. He would have an effective damage padding level of "somewhat". [Again, best level of padding.]

Some additional examples:

Player is wearing unpadded chain hauberk and puts on "very heavily" critical padded leg greaves. He gets hit in the legs. He would have an effective critial padding level of "very heavy". [Again, best level of padding]

Player is wearing "very heavily" damage padded chain hauberk and puts on a blessed helm. He gets hit in the head. He would would have an effective damage padding level of "somewhat" ([very heavy + 0] / 2 = somewhat). [Combining padded armor with a specially enhanced accessory results in the padding level being averaged]

Coase

Even though I don't have the date on it anymore (and I tried to look up the post, but the officials being what they are it's gone now), and I have my reservations that it'll ever really amount to anything in terms of getting what you want, here's a post on the GS era by Andraste that might be helpful:

Time advances slowly in GS, it seems. Last time I "checked in" on around what period we try to hold to as a "genre" -- the fantasy element taken somewhat into context -- I was advised that anything circa 1675 and below was pretty much fine, although some things up through the mid-1800s that weren't too recognizeable as "modern" might work.
    And this is the link to the post from when it still existed:
    http://www.play.net/forums/messages....7&message=2858

9. Default

Farmer, can you please find the post where crush/slash/puncture resistence was first implemented? I searched this forums pretty well and can't find it. Only found flaring/spiked armor. Or point me in the right direction and I'll search for it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GSIVMerchant21 View Post
    Farmer, can you please find the post where crush/slash/puncture resistence was first implemented? I searched this forums pretty well and can't find it. Only found flaring/spiked armor. Or point me in the right direction and I'll search for it. Thanks
    I wasn't around when it was, but I can answer most questions.