Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building an AR-15

Default Building an AR-15

So I'm in the process of building an AR-15. I've put money down and I'm currently on the 14 day waiting period for a Stag-15 lower reciever. I'm aware of the AR-15 forums, but thought I'd check if there was anyone on these forums I could communicate directly with that has experience building an AR-15 (heh... Sean otT?)

Essentially it's a gift for my father. He's a vietnam vet (as I recently mentioned) and he recently got his pistol permit and we have had some really good bonding experiences shooting in the backyard (legally)... and last time one of my fathers VFW friends brought over an M1 Carbine, and well... it was awesome. So my dad started researching purchasing his own M1, I thought I'd surprise him with his own AR-15 for his birthday which is upcoming (for the sake of simplicity I plan on keeping it in my own name).

Any advice on purchasing kits/parts would be greatly appreciated. Since I've been imposed with a 14 day waiting period I'm obviously very anxious (yet if I was able to just buy the lower right then and there I'd probably take my time).

Nice choice, but I have to ask, why build one as opposed to purchasing a used one from your local gun shop? Colt, HK, Bushmaster and Armalite make some wonderful rifles, among others. If your father doesn't do any match shooting (900 yds+), it will be just fine, and likely cheaper. Also, there are many rifles with more practical applications. Mini 14 comes to mind. That said, any AR build will provide many many hours of highly accurate fun. I had an Armalite AR-10 that I loved dearly. Basically an AR-15 that fires .308 caliber ammunition.

I guess what I'm saying is, go to your local range, usually there's one in the area that rents different rifles, shoot a few before you decide exactly what you want. Many will even sell you the weapon you're shooting if you so choose. No reason to be in a rush when purchasing a firearm. Maybe even be slick and take your dad to such a range and renting a few types to see exactly what he likes best.
    Last edited by Stabbyrogue; 03-21-2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Paragraphs are my friend

I'd like to add, if you do find a particular model you like, Gunbroker.com can be a great place to find a deal. You'll have to have it shipped to someone with a FFL, but just about every sporting goods store will accommodate you for a small fee, usually 15 dollars or so.

I'll be honest, I was pretty nervous buying a gun for the first time... so I was pretty much just talked into buying the only thing I knew about (an AR-15 lower from all my research). I'm not too worried about the cost of a new one vs a used one, and I kind of like the idea of piecing together exactly what I (oh no wait, I mean he) wants.

I'll blow a little cash to have the right gun. Suggestions on barrel length, stock types, etc would be awesome.

Honestly, every piece depends on what your father will be using it for, the ranges he'll be shooting at, the weight and recoil he prefers, though recoil isn't usually an issue when you're talking about .223 caliber.

To have a rifle that was worthwhile to piece together yourself, you're talking 5-8k, compared to 1-2 for something assembled while a non professional shooter will never be able to notice the slightest difference. Granted, you can hit at 1200+yards, but how often would you really see your father attempting such a shot? And if he did, would he hit it anyway?

I'm not trying to talk you out of building one, but many people have built many nice rifles and sold them to pawn shops\sporting goods stores for pennies compared to what they spent building them. You can usually snatch them up cheap.

If you're dead set on piecing together something and you're about the same size as your father, you can do the testing alone, if not, I highly suggest taking the chance of ruining the surprise to find out what options HE would prefer on the rifle. It will pay off in the long run.

It's going to be my gun. I say it's a present for my father, and it is, but he will honestly be happy with whatever I build. And if he's not I'll help him build his own. It's more about the suprise. I can't imagine he'd expect me to purchase a gun without talking to him first. Granted I'll spend more than I should and I think I'm okay with that. If you have some merchants that you recomend I'd like to hear who.

I will look into an already built rifle, but the fact is that I have ordered a lower reciever, so even if I buy a built rifle... I'm going to build one.

Here's a few ARs being sold by folks I've dealt with. All rifles purchased have been beyond my expectations. Added the AR-10 just because I found that I enjoyed it much more than any AR-15 I've owned, due to more practical uses.

AR-10 http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=124996117

AR-15 http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=125269150
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...=124750052#PIC
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=124992980

Heck of a first rifle, for sure.

An m-1 is not an AR-15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    And be advised that it took about a 15 second search function, 30 seconds to cut and paste onto a 3 second google image search of a random cheerleader and another 30 seconds to upload and image it from photobucket. I would say it was a humorously quite rewarding for the 78 seconds I spent creating it. You should post more pictures - they could be great sources of entertainment here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    Thats the great thing about math. You can come to any solution using many different methods.

I would hope that he knows that.

... yeah way past that, but uh... thanks?