Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexico to raise tariffs on U.S. exports.

Default Mexico to raise tariffs on U.S. exports.

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (CNN)
    -- Mexico has announced plans to raise tariffs on almost 90 U.S. exports, Mexican and U.S. officials confirmed Monday.

The new trade measures are in retaliation for the cancellation earlier this year of a U.S. commercial trucking project and will target U.S. industrial and agricultural products delivered to Mexico, Mexico's state-run news agency said.

Mexico's Economic Secretary Gerardo Ruiz Mateos called the cancellation of the program a breach of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the agency said.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the trucking project was killed in the 2009 omnibus appropriations bill, but President Barack Obama has asked his administration to create a new program.

"Congress has opposed the project in the past because of concerns about the process that led to the program's establishment and its operation," Gibbs said.

The project allowed a small number of Mexican trucks to enter the United States beyond the normal commercial zones, and allowed some U.S. trucks the same privilege in Mexico.

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, warned that the Mexican action would harm American businesses.

"Unfortunately, this is a predictable reaction by the Mexican government to a policy that now puts the United States in clear violation of the North American Free Trade Agreement and was inappropriately inserted into the omnibus appropriations bill," McCain said after learning of the Mexican government's plans.

McCain said Washington "must take steps to prevent escalation of further protectionist measures -- actions that only serve to harm American business during these tough economic times when these businesses need a worldwide marketplace to prosper."

"This is another reason why the president should have vetoed the omnibus spending bill," McCain added.

Mexico's intentions to raise tariffs on U.S. goods "is an absurd overreaction to the shutdown of the unsafe cross-border trucking pilot program," Teamsters President Jim Hoffa said.

"The right response from Mexico would be to make sure its drivers and trucks are safe enough to use our highways without endangering our drivers," Hoffa said in a statement issued by the union. "The border must stay closed until Mexico holds up its end of the bargain."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americ...iff/index.html

------

Two words; fuck Mexico.

A country which has literally been kept alive by the mercy of it's northern labor and the massive amounts of fund wired back to it's ailing economy. This country has for too long bit the hand that's fed it, and I'm sick and tired of the coddling that goes on between the Republican's babying them with the extremely uneven NAFTA, and the Democrats courting the Hispanic vote.

It's time for the United States to export all of it's illegal immigrants, secure it's cultural heritage and embrace the English language as the only Federally recognize language to be taught in it's halls.

Fuck Mexico.

LOL @ Hoffa saying it's about Mexican truck "safety". Those trucks could be made out of airbags and unicorn farts and he'd call them unsafe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Drew's priorities - Merchanting > Roleplaying > Cybering > Being AFK > Cybering > Hunting
    (wrathbringer78) I think that's it. Viril is one big obnoxious ambient script.

<<It's time for the United States to export all of it's illegal immigrants, secure it's cultural heritage and embrace the English language as the only Federally recognize language to be taught in it's halls.>>

uhh...yeah... you're a fucking idiot..

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post

Two words; fuck Mexico.

A country which has literally been kept alive by the mercy of it's northern labor and the massive amounts of fund wired back to it's ailing economy. This country has for too long bit the hand that's fed it, and I'm sick and tired of the coddling that goes on between the Republican's babying them with the extremely uneven NAFTA, and the Democrats courting the Hispanic vote.

It's time for the United States to export all of it's illegal immigrants, secure it's cultural heritage and embrace the English language as the only Federally recognize language to be taught in it's halls.

Fuck Mexico.
    Quoted for hilarity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

lolol

Quote Originally Posted by AnticorRifling View Post
    Retardo ed rectum absolut (vodka)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    I'd be an awesome woman. So awesome, you would want to fuck me.

Blog Entries

That's why I speak Navajo.

Gan, I remember once when the Conservative party stood for for those ideals, but obviously that changed when Geedubyaah was voted into office.

Next time you hear about a loved one who, as a federal civil servant, is turned down for a promotion because they are not bi-lingual.

Should have replaced that General way back when with one that followed the orders given. "Go south until you reach the ocean."

Gan, I remember once when the Conservative party stood for for those ideals, but obviously that changed when Geedubyaah was voted into office.

Next time you hear about a loved one who, as a federal civil servant, is turned down for a promotion because they are not bi-lingual.
    Sounds more like a personal problem. You should seek a therapist or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

God forbid people know how to interact with their constituents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    And be advised that it took about a 15 second search function, 30 seconds to cut and paste onto a 3 second google image search of a random cheerleader and another 30 seconds to upload and image it from photobucket. I would say it was a humorously quite rewarding for the 78 seconds I spent creating it. You should post more pictures - they could be great sources of entertainment here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    Thats the great thing about math. You can come to any solution using many different methods.