Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japan Measuring Employees

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default

I'm ok with it in concept. Things like heart disease and blood pressure have been linked to obessity; why wouldn't you put the burden on the responsible party to be healthier? My company has a wellness program, and studies have shown healthy employees are happy employees. More productive, more energy, less prone to miss work, etc.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

I have like a 31 inch waist and I have been eating around 4000 calories a day for a year. For that reason I would feel bad for the small percentage of people who, no matter what they do, won't be able to drop inches anymore than I can gain them. But hey, it'll help a whole lot more people than it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkein View Post
    I have like a 31 inch waist and I have been eating around 4000 calories a day for a year.
    Does anyone else want to tell Hulkein "Fuck-You" as much as I do right now?

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalTears View Post
    I ask people to join me in prayer that chillmonster STFU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm View Post
    Congratulations, you've reached Ilvane level bias...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    Clove, the crusher of dreams.
    π

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clove View Post
    Does anyone else want to tell Hulkein "Fuck-You" as much as I do right now?

Nah, I'll just wait til his age catches up to him...and he looks like

I could never get in 32s. My bone structure is bigger than that. I'm in decent but not great shape and fluctuate between 36-38 depending on cut. Of course everyone in Japan is under 6' so there would have to be concessions made for this to work here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drisco View Post
    I am a le doche.

They're relatively uniform, culturally. We've got a panoply of heritages, and every viable permutation therein, just about.

That's why it'd be harder. They have a standard to benchmark each other against. We don't.

It's not even a question of metabolism speed, either. It's a matter of frame. I'd bet there are some out there who don't even have a 32 inch pelvic bone, let alone waistline.

Yea, I don't 33" for guys is not realistic here at all. I think it's interesting that women there average 2" bigger though.
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    I feel like Backlash is a baby sea turtle in every thread he jumps in- you want to root for the little guy to make it, but you just know he's going to get eaten before he ever tastes the ocean.

Yeah, the differences in averages between men and women in the US and Japan is what really jumped out at me aside from the main topic of the article. I'm carefully trying not to jump to conclusions about it, heh.

Before the depo provera shot fucked up my body and hormones, I was a 24 but now I'm more like 32 after shooting up to 34 and trying to work it off again. And I'm still way fatter than I want to be. Still, I'm below average for an American woman and within (apparent) acceptable levels for the Japanese.

But so many men on here and that I talk to in other places seem not to be. Is it because women are more conscious of their size? Is it because men are just bigger than they used to be but because they don't care as much, the societal view hasn't changed as quickly as it has for women? Why are Japanese men supposed to be so much smaller than the women when it is (very generally) supposed to be the other way around? I don't even know that men don't care, actually... Metrosexuals abound now and even non-metros take care of themselves more now than may otherwise have been the case.

That's a confusing article for me. I would be interested in seeing their reasoning for choosing those exact figures for men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/06/...ng-waistlines/

Wow. Can you imagine going to work and having to endure a measurement test first.

I understand there are benefits to fighting obesity, but there has to be a better way than this.

What incentive does a fat guy have to slim down if there's no chance that he'll make the weight? Not only that, but what is the harm done by crash dieting to squeak under the number?

I understand that waist size is a well understood measurement. But, wouldn't it be better to use something like BMI instead of some nominal indicator that does very little to describe overall health?
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

10. Default

Shit, even in my high school days I was a 34" and I was on the cross country team in the 11th grade. I'd get deported
    ~ Mario

"A chi dai il dito si prende anche il braccio."