Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japan Measuring Employees

Blog Entries

Default Japan Measuring Employees

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/06/...ng-waistlines/

Another Thing Big In Japan: Measuring Waistlines
    Posted by Shirley S. Wang
    In the U.S., there’s an outcry about something as simple as putting calories on restaurant menus as a way to help combat the obesity epidemic. But that’s nothing compared to the Japanese, who now have to face measurements of their waistlines during annual checkups if they’re between 40 and 74 years old, the New York Times reports.

Anyone with a weight-related medical concern and whose waist is bigger than the acceptable size –- a rigorous 33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women –- must lose weight, according to a new law. Otherwise, they face compulsory diet advice and follow-up visits for three to six months. For some perspective, the average male waist size in the U.S. is 39 inches, while American women average 36.5 inches.

The idea is to reduce the ranks of the overweight by 10% over the next four years and 25% over the next seven years. If not, the government will start fining companies and local governments, who are the providers of health coverage for the majority of Japanese. Ultimately, Japan hopes this campaign will help curb its health-care costs, which have been increasing, just like waist sizes.

Some people are worried about facing the tape measure. Others have embraced the idea, along with that of reducing the health consequences associated with obesity, such as metabolic syndrome–-or “metabo,” as it’s called in Japan.

But skeptics say there’s no need for such drastic measures. “I don’t think the campaign will have any positive effect,” Yoichi Ogushi, a professor at Tokai University’s School of Medicine told the NYT. “Now if you did this in the United States, there would be benefits, since there are many Americans who weigh more than 100 kilograms,” or about 220 pounds. “But the Japanese are so slender that they can’t afford to lose weight.”
    Wow. Can you imagine going to work and having to endure a measurement test first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

shit, I haven't had a 33.5 inch waistline for a good long while.
    A.M.D.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    D TEAM UNITE! YOUR HEAD CHEERLEADER IS CALLING, HIS ATTEMPTED RESCUE OF THEe IS FAILING.

I was 33 inches as a freshman in highschool. My football coach fixed that real quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

This should make sumo wrestling as a profession interesting...

I was wondering when this would hit the PC. Saw this on the news today and just snickered. That so won't fly here.

32 waist since senior year HS...9 years ago. holy crap, reunion coming up!

and i read this subject and thought a number of things other than waist size
    Quote Originally Posted by AnticorRifling View Post
    Please note I left my computer on and my weiner dogs have been moderating these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tisket View Post
    Wow. Can you imagine going to work and having to endure a measurement test first.
    I'd freak out.

This seems a little extreme, but I do agree that something needs to be done about obesity. Some companies raised the cost of health care for smokers... I think they should do the same for the overweight.
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    I feel like Backlash is a baby sea turtle in every thread he jumps in- you want to root for the little guy to make it, but you just know he's going to get eaten before he ever tastes the ocean.

If they have risk pools for car insurance, why not health insurance, too?

9. Default

I'm ok with it in concept. Things like heart disease and blood pressure have been linked to obessity; why wouldn't you put the burden on the responsible party to be healthier? My company has a wellness program, and studies have shown healthy employees are happy employees. More productive, more energy, less prone to miss work, etc.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

“If you don’t believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you don’t believe in free speech.”
    -My favorite liberal

Quote Originally Posted by NocturnalRob View Post
    32 waist since senior year HS...9 years ago. holy crap, reunion coming up!
    I'm still a 32 waist at 36 years old. I can still wear some of my 30-inch stuff too. Yep, I'm scrawny.

On topic: I agree that if companies can get away with profiling smokers, they should be able to profile obesity.
    Last edited by Trouble; 06-24-2008 at 03:38 PM.