Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: When and how did you start playing Gemstone?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Farn View Post
    he was a dork in-game. Jumping from the treehouse to kill himself, stealing from everyone in sight constantly, trying to attack NPCs ... yeah. He didn't last too long.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had really poor judgement about who I befriended when I first started playing. I picked (or was picked by) a very disruptive individual. Nonexistent RP, doing stupid shit just because he could, killing indiscriminately, talking game mechanics, etc. He just seemed totally freewheeling and fun to me. And I admit I enjoyed his company! Sue me.

Took a four month break and, when I came back, he wasn't playing anymore, at least on that character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelston View Post
    I like penis.
    We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men. Edward R. Murrow

I believe it was 1993. I was in college, and a philosophy major, so my memory is a bit hazy for a few years there. Might have had something to do with my Bong Manufacturing 101 class.

Friend of mine got me started...I curse his name to this day.

I started in the Summer of 1995. Boredom. AOL. By the end of the summer my parents just about killed me for the AOL bill!

Been on and off ever since.

I took a rogue up to 40 and then had to quit to get a degree, job, and a wife!

Now I am back in my spare time 13 years later!

Oh and I made the mistake of buying a character 3 years ago. He is fine now but it was a tough road making Shirv useable again! Fun challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Farn View Post
    I started in 1995 as well. A friend of mine at high school (we were freshmen, heh) told me about the game and figured I'd like it because I loved Lord of the Rings. He was right.

I can't even remember my first character's name. He was an elf bard, I believe. My friend was Gawmuldor (giant warrior), and he was a dork in-game. Jumping from the treehouse to kill himself, stealing from everyone in sight constantly, trying to attack NPCs ... yeah. He didn't last too long.

Like the original poster, I took plenty of breaks. I also rerolled way too many times, and after finally settling on an incarnation of Farn (I can't remember why I lost the original "Farnam," but I like the shorter name better anyway), I still spent (and do spend) more time exploring or goofing around instead of hunting. Hence, only level 50 after all these years. Good times.
    hehe, funny stuff... our stories are pretty similar. we were in Jr. High School at the time, I believe.

We always hung out at the Well in Wehnimer back then (and still do)... I remember stunning tree jumpers when they hit the ground.

I lost my original sorc at one point , too... decayed with no deeds. :P

Sometime around '95 or so, I got a flyer in the mail that said "Go to Keyword: Gemstone" and had a badass picture of some wizard and a gay burly dude (someone post the pic, I've got it somewhere but...)

I was 12 at the time, assumed aura/attunement with nature by the description, was nothing to concern a wizard, and cast my first spell at level 3, assuming minor shock took a serious toll on your nervous system.

My friends and I all decided wearing brigidane was the only option... and I was amazed one day when I leveled up and all the sudden I could swing a fachion in 8 seconds instead of 9.

Clove got me started in 1995, I blame him and him alone.

I quit in 2000, only to come back last year.
    Citrus: The Juicy Alternative
    Martaigne's Shop
    House Sylvanfair

[14:27:06] diethx: I swear i'm addicted
    [14:27:11] diethx: I'm addicted to the meat

Was introduced by my friend DHan66866, a friend of mine from Federation, around the time AOL went flat rate. He played Parthot in GS, I rolled up a giant warrior named Bellophorus. Spent god knows how many hours in the hovel with Tijay et al. Never made it past level 17 with that warrior. Rolled up my current main around 97-98?
    A.M.D.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    D TEAM UNITE! YOUR HEAD CHEERLEADER IS CALLING, HIS ATTEMPTED RESCUE OF THEe IS FAILING.

I'm not sure of exactly when I started but for the first month I played you would still drop your items when you died. I found the game off an ad that ran on Prodigy.

I know a guy named Allaran helped me out my first week or so. Hung out a bunch with Montro, Morandas and his then wife (in IRL as well) Viandra.

GT
    "I plan on killing my daughters first boyfriend and hoping the word gets out" C. Barkley

9. Default

I started in August of 1996. My dad (Cavyr/Windare/Myanti) got me hooked when I was 11. He immediately adopted me into Micha/Jessta's family with other people like Toreena and Panndoris and I remember her getting pissed at me because I broke and threw away one of her shadowy black alloy grandmaster lockpicks when I was like 5 trainings. Not sure why she gave that to me in the first place.

Anyways, I started with Konti Sabaca, and rerolled him like 20 times because I would never like the training path I chose or the stats that I finally settled for. I got him to 40 twice, and finally quit for about a year and made him go demonic.

Came back a year later and rolled Kontii Slie'phox and one other character (to remain nameless). I've played them since and no one else. I have to give thanks to whoever invented fixskills for making it so I could finally stop rerolling.
    Last edited by Sthrockmorton; 05-23-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    ~Kontii Slie'phox

PM me here, or find me in game or the GSIV Discord as Kontii

Quote Originally Posted by Celephais View Post
    My friends and I all decided wearing brigidane was the only option... and I was amazed one day when I leveled up and all the sudden I could swing a fachion in 8 seconds instead of 9.
    Hahahaha. I did such crap when I first started. Aaysia's training was all over the place, picking boxes(and failing miserably because I never trained in disarm). Getting 1 rank here in ohe, 2 ranks in archery etc I made it to about level 5 on my own then Rynot took a look at my training and was like THAT'S WHY YOU KEEP DYING!

I started around 2001.