Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nixon: Fred Thompson is "Dumb as hell" but "Friendly"

Default Nixon: Fred Thompson is "Dumb as hell" but "Friendly"

Nixon on Thompson: 'Dumb' but 'Friendly'
    October 09, 2007 9:06 AM

Brian Ross and Avni Patel Report:

Fred Thompson has made much of his role 30 years ago as a young Senate lawyer helping to lead the investigation of the Watergate scandal and President Richard Nixon.

But a much different, less valiant picture of Thompson emerges from listening to the White House audiotapes made at the time, as President Nixon plotted strategy with his aides in the Oval Office.

Thompson's job on the Watergate committee was to lead the Republican side of the investigation. He was appointed by his mentor, Sen. Howard Baker of Tennessee, who is now co-chair of Thompson's 2008 presidential bid.

Photos: Nixon on Tape: Thompson 'Dumb as Hell'
    When Nixon's aide H.R. Haldeman told Nixon of Thompson's appointment, Nixon was less than impressed.

"Baker has appointed Fred Thompson as minority counsel," Haldeman is heard saying on one tape.

"Oh sh--, that kid," Nixon responds.

"I guess so," Haldeman replies.

Nixon worried that Thompson's Democratic counterpart, Sam Dash, would outsmart Thompson.

"Well, Dash is too smart for that kid," Nixon says on another tape from March 16, 1973. The existence of the tapes were publicly revealed by a question from Thompson at a Watergate hearing and led to the president's resignation. They are preserved at the National Archives in College Park, Md.

"Sure. Runs circles around him," agrees an aide, John Dean.

As the investigation picked up speed, Nixon grew increasingly concerned about whether Thompson could stand up to the Democrats.

In this May 1973 recording, he shared his concern with then-chief of staff Alexander Haig.

"He's talking to Fred Thompson. I said you're not --," Haig begins.

"Oh sh--, he's dumb as hell. Fred Thompson," Nixon interjects. "Who is he? He won't say anything."

In another conversation some weeks later, Nixon and his advisers were still describing Thompson as not very smart but at least beginning to play ball.
    I guess he's always been an empty suit.
    I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
    -- Thomas Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Parkbandit View Post
    OMG NO! CHILLMASTER DOESN'T RESPECT ME!

I knew you would post this Backlash..

Mind you, I'm not a fan of Fred's.. but this was 30 years ago. It's a cute soundbite that's entertaining.. but to draw conclusions about the man today is ignorant and foolish.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Quote Originally Posted by Seran-the Current Retard Champion View Post
    Besides, Republicans also block abstinence and contraceptives anyway.
    Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAFT View Post
    You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

I knew you would post this Backlash..

Mind you, I'm not a fan of Fred's.. but this was 30 years ago. It's a cute soundbite that's entertaining.. but to draw conclusions about the man today is ignorant and foolish.
    I see. You're delusional. You're must be arguing against your imaginary friend "Backlash" because not only do I understand that Nixon is very dead and unable to comment on Fred's stupidity, but I drew from that article not a single conclusion about Thompson today.
    -- Thomas Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by chillmonster View Post
    I see. You're delusional. You're must be arguing against your imaginary friend "Backlash" because not only do I understand that Nixon is very dead and unable to comment on Fred's stupidity, but I drew from that article not a single conclusion about Thompson today.
    Jesus Christ.. can you fucking speak English?

Seriously.. you want to pretend to be intellectual.. but you post retarded things like that and people realize you are a dumbfuck.

and this sounds like a conclusion to me..

I guess he's always been an empty suit.
    Last edited by Parkbandit; 10-09-2007 at 11:43 PM.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME

Regulating firearms to keep them out of the hands of criminals, the unhinged, etc. meets the first test of the 2nd amendment, 'well-regulated'.

You show me a video of me typing that and Ill admit it. (This was the excuse he came up with when he was called out for a really stupid post)
    3 million more popular votes. I'd say the numbers speak for themselves. Gerrymandering won for Trump.

ROFL at considering anything paranoid tricky Dick had to say with regards to the Watergate scandal.

ROFL x 1000 for using that as something to weigh and even evaluate Thompson as always being an empty suit.

Grats on yet another stupid thread.

1 star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

What conclusion did I draw about today’s Thompson? I've already said he's an empty suit, and I thought the Nixon quote was funny.

You need to chill the hell out. How old are you? I heard you're about 40. Aren't people supposed to outgrow trolling MBs at 15?

...And I would tell you how pathetic you are, but I'm pretty sure you've looked in the mirror and thought the same thing 1000 times.
    Last edited by chillmonster; 10-10-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    -- Thomas Carlyle

200 posts with most of them being in the last two weeks and you "heard" gan is 40?

We'll drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink and fight! Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean2 View Post
    200 posts with most of them being in the last two weeks and you "heard" gan is 40?

Not GAN. PB.
    -- Thomas Carlyle

Whoa. Gan can't be PB. Say it ain't so.
    Last edited by chillmonster; 10-10-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    -- Thomas Carlyle

Whoa. Gan can't be PB. Say it ain't so.
    If I were.. then I would be doing something as stupid as you are currently Backlash.

It ain't so.
    PC RETARD HALL OF FAME