View Poll Results: Do you like to read?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like to read, but only books.

4 6.15%
  • Yes, I like to read, but only on the internet.

4 6.15%
  • Yes, I like to read books and on the internet.

54 83.08%
  • No, I dont like to read books.

2 3.08%
  • No, I dont like to read articles on the internet.

0 0%
  • Reading sucks

1 1.54%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One in four read no books last year

Default One in four read no books last year

One in four adults say they read no books at all in the past year, according to an Associated Press-Ipsos poll released Tuesday. Of those who did read, women and seniors were most avid, and religious works and popular fiction were the top choices.

The survey reveals a nation whose book readers, on the whole, can hardly be called ravenous. The typical person claimed to have read four books in the last year — half read more and half read fewer. Excluding those who hadn't read any, the usual number read was seven.

"I just get sleepy when I read," said Richard Bustos of Dallas, a habit with which millions of Americans can doubtless identify. Bustos, a 34-year-old project manager for a telecommunications company, said he had not read any books in the last year and would rather spend time in his backyard pool.

That choice by Bustos and others is reflected in book sales, which have been flat in recent years and are expected to stay that way indefinitely. Analysts attribute the listlessness to competition from the Internet and other media, the unsteady economy and a well-established industry with limited opportunities for expansion.

When the Gallup poll asked in 2005 how many books people had at least started — a similar but not directly comparable question — the typical answer was five. That was down from 10 in 1999, but close to the 1990 response of six.

In 2004, a National Endowment for the Arts report titled "Reading at Risk" found only 57 percent of American adults had read a book in 2002, a four percentage point drop in a decade. The study faulted television, movies and the Internet.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070821/...bits_ap_poll_1

Again, my usual disclaimer about polls. THEY ALL SUCK...

But this topic is one that disturbs me. However, for those that read this story, it can be misleading in that some might consider the idea that one in four simply don't read. As demonstrated by the project manager who would rather spend time in his pool.

I enjoy reading. I enjoy the mental stimulation of reading a story and being able to mentally picture it as the story/pages move along.

There's nothing better than wrapping up in a heavy throw on a chase lounge on a rainy winter/cold (winter in Houston - ) day and reading a good book.

I have two genre's of books/print that I read. Educational/professional and fiction.

Cold rainy days with a little solitude are reserved for a good fiction story.

Most of all I just enjoy reading. Be it on the internet or on paper. Its almost not understandable why someone cant find ejoyment in reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

my wife pretty much refuses to read. When asked about it she says she enjoys it but doesn't have the time.

I probably read 10-15 books per year depending on size and content. Though that's just a rough guess.

book I'm currently reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bodies-Q...7723407&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Skeeter; 08-21-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drisco View Post
    I am a le doche.

In my own little world where everybody knows me.

I got out of the habit of reading for a while but have recently caught the book bug again.

I cant stand reading lengthy articles/stories on the net, so for anything of length it has to be in book format.

I do a fair bit of readin on the net, but not the same as reading a book.

I would say that my experience would concur with the poll you cited, in that so many of my friends/people I know do not read on a regular basis (i.e. books)

After going to see the last Bourne movie, I've decided to pick up the series and read it next.

I average 2 books a month unless I'm interrupted with some continuing education reading from work.
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.

Something about this irks me.. reading a book does not always equate to good mental stimulation. I just don't really see someone who sits on their couch and reads 10 D&D fiction books as that much better off than someone who sits through 10 fantasy movies.

I just think if you're looking to educate/broaden yourself, then reading Harry Potter or a Steven King novel, isn't exactly cutting it... it's just another form of entertainment. (Not saying I don't read for entertainment... I read a lot of professional books, but like my days at the beach this summer have been spent reading the Iliad)

In my own little world where everybody knows me.

Don't read this, no matter how much they talk it up. It sucked.

http://www.amazon.com/Confederacy-Du...7724193&sr=1-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drisco View Post
    I am a le doche.

I write a lot more than I read, but on average I read about 20 or more books a year. Last year took the cake as I surpassed my average by about 10, but that's more to do with the plethora of research required for my master's thesis.

Anyway, I'm with the general consensus in that reading is pleasure. It's also fundamental; and I too do not understand someone saying they didn't read any books at all during an entire year.
    Your sister's HOT, but your Mom does that thing with her tongue.

I have to be REALLY interested in the subject and material for me to pick up a book. I'm that girl that gets sleepy while reading because it's really relaxing. I've read two books this year so far. Harry Potter and this one other one about Speed Cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Celephais View Post
    Something about this irks me.. reading a book does not always equate to good mental stimulation. I just don't really see someone who sits on their couch and reads 10 D&D fiction books as that much better off than someone who sits through 10 fantasy movies.
    I disagree. I think it takes more imagination and more thinking when you read than when you watch a movie. Thats the non-scientific reasoninig. I'm sure someone like Latrin can chime in on the scientific benefits if there are any that reading has over watching television/movies.
    I just think if you're looking to educate/broaden yourself, then reading Harry Potter or a Steven King novel, isn't exactly cutting it... it's just another form of entertainment.
    You're getting reading for education and reading for entertainment mixed together. Unless reading for educational purposes is also a form of entertainment for you. Some people differentiate the two, like me for instance.
    (Not saying I don't read for entertainment... I read a lot of professional books, but like my days at the beach this summer have been spent reading the Iliad)
    We can safely sumrise that reading for education and enjoyment arent intermixed with you.

So the next question is in you reading the Iliad, do you feel more educated or intellectually broaden'ed?

If you do, then why since its a fictional work.

And if you dont, why did you read it if it was not to educate you or broaden your intellect?