Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blogosphere--Angry White Males?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Blogosphere--Angry White Males?

I saw this opinion piece and thought it was pretty interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ELLEN GOODMAN
    E-male
    By Ellen Goodman, Globe Columnist | August 10, 2007

IT'S WORTH remembering that the blogosphere is still so new it baffles spell check. For that matter, if I type "blogger" on my screen, my retro software offers alternatives like "loggers," "floggers," and "boggler."

It "boggles" my mind to realize how quickly a piece of Internet terrain has gained power in politics. By now, the political blogosphere is to the left what talk radio is to the right. It is a forceful, sometimes demagogic, message-monger organizing tool for the progressive end of the Democratic Party.

The New Republic's Jonathan Chait recently called the netroots "the most significant mass movement in US politics since the rise of the Christian right." In fact, they've amplified the antiwar, anti-Bush views, become an alternative fund-raising operation, and linked cyberliberals across the country.

Last week, these progressive political bloggers not only attracted 1,200 to Chicago for the Yearly Kos convention, but made it a designated stop for seven out of the eight Democratic candidates.

Nevertheless, there is another, less flattering way in which broadband has followed broadcast and the liberal political bloggers mimic the conservative talk-show hosts. The chief messengers are overwhelmingly men -- white men, even angry white men.

I began tracking the maleness of this media last spring while I was a visiting fellow at Harvard's Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics, and Public Policy. An intrepid graduate student created a spreadsheet of the top 90 political blogs. A full 42 percent were edited and written by men only, while 7 percent were by women only. Another 45 percent were edited or authored by both men and women, though the "coed" mix was overwhelmingly male. And, not surprisingly, most male bloggers linked to male bloggers.

Yes, this is the kettle of the MSM -- mainstream media -- calling the pot of the netroots male. In fairness, half of all 96 million blogs are written by women. But in the smaller political sphere, what is touted as a fresh force for change looks an awful lot like a new boy network.

Now, after what's been a long, low rumble over demography and diversity, a grass-roots rebellion is finally surfacing in the netroots. At Yearly Kos itself, home of what Jennifer Pozner described on Huffington Post as the "blustering A-list boys of the 'netroots,' " there was the panel titled gamely: "Blogging While Female." The question for the panel was this: "The blogosphere was supposed to be a place where gender didn't matter and voice was all. So what happened?"

What did happen? Is it the angry voice -- a netroot norm but a female abnorm? Markos Moulitsas, founder of the Daily Kos and namesake of the convention, said unabashedly in an ABC News interview last year, "I learned to talk the way I do in the US Army. And we don't mince words. In politics, I don't see it any different. I see it as a battlefield." The American Prospect's Garance Franke-Ruta, who was on the panel notes, wryly, "If you're an angry man you're righteous. If you're an angry woman, you're crazy or a bitch."

Is it harassment? Women have been talking about this since blogger Kathy Sierra was threatened with a picture of her next to a noose. Convention organizer Gina Cooper has two e-mail addresses, just one carrying her female name. Only "Gina" gets the hate e-mail with sexual threats and such comments as: "I'm going to hunt you down." Who knows how many women are scared silent.

Is it because men raise their hands first in class? Cooper thinks one reason for the demographics is that educated, economically comfortable men were the early adapters to the technology and took the lead. Blogger Adele Stan suggests white male bloggers have a network of "funding, linking, quoting, or bookings on political talk shows." Or maybe we need only count viewers. The typical political blog reader is a 43-year-old man with an $80,000 family income. Is it any surprise that Hillary Clinton gets only 9 percent in most online-activist polls, while garnering more than 40 percent in traditional polls?

It's not that women are invisible. There are "women's pages" on the Internet. Technorati counts more than 11,000 "mommy blogs." There are "women's issues" blogs like the funny and bracing Feministing.

But this is not just about counting, not just about diversity-by-the-numbers. It's about the political dialogue -- who gets heard and who sets the agenda. Cooper asks herself: "Are we going to do the same thing we've done all along, but with computers? Or will we create a new institution that allows for marginalized voices?"

Next year, Yearly Kos will undergo a name change. The assembly of progressive bloggers will call themselves Netroots Nation. But when will the members of these netroots look more like the nation?

Ellen Goodman's e-mail address is ellengoodman@globe.com.

© Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company
    *Reserves the right to change her opinion at any time.

"I am only one, but still, I am one. I cannot do everything but I can do something. And, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do what I can." ---Edward Everett Hale

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.---Mark Twain

1) There is no anti-feminist agenda at play, if females are interested in politics they should start writing more "blogs." I personally think most blogs are a fucking joke and are for people who have too much free time on their hands, or are too dense to figure out their own opinion on issues in the country.

Furthermore, the point she forgets to mention is salient enough: blogs are just as much for entertainment value as they are for real political information (if not more). So yes, the "angry-white man" might be a little more interesting to read than the "mommy blog" with a political bent.

Lets not also forget the major political commentator for the NY times who is 1) female, and 2) probably one of the angriest political commentators in the blog/news/whatever space: Maureen Dowd

2)
    I began tracking the maleness of this media last spring while I was a visiting fellow at Harvard's Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics, and Public Policy.
    Nice plug in dropping the Harvard name, but unfortunately for Ellen the Shorenstein Center is a fucking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaerve View Post
    1) There is no anti-feminist agenda at play, if females are interested in politics they should start writing more "blogs." I personally think most blogs are a fucking joke and are for people who have too much free time on their hands, or are too dense to figure out their own opinion on issues in the country.

Furthermore, the point she forgets to mention is salient enough: blogs are just as much for entertainment value as they are for real political information (if not more). So yes, the "angry-white man" might be a little more interesting to read than the "mommy blog" with a political bent.

Lets not also forget the major political commentator for the NY times who is 1) female, and 2) probably one of the angriest political commentators in the blog/news/whatever space: Maureen Dowd

2)

Nice plug in dropping the Harvard name, but unfortunately for Ellen the Shorenstein Center is a fucking joke.
    /Agreed.

I consider personal blogs as diatribes. If I want news, I'll read the news. If I want discussion, I'll participate in a forum. The last thing I need to do is waste time reading someone's bullshit opinion in a blog and not have it linked to any active discussion.

Blogging is like shitting on the sidewalk in hopes that someone else will walk by and enjoy the sight, smell, and perhaps even step in it. Thank God there's more than one 'sidewalk' on the internet.
    Last edited by Gan; 08-10-2007 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

Too... Much... Text... I'm interested in this topic but not enough to actually read this so far.

Methais, please read those posts and summerize in a picture.

I believe the problem is that women, when writing blogs, write as if they're communicating with friends (casually), while men write for an audience. They use tighter lines and less adverbs. This makes their writing more appealing to a reader's general goal (information, less extraneous bullshit).

You can take entire classes on the different ways that men and women communicate (rapport verses report). I don't believe that there's a big conspiracy to keep women out of political blogging.
    "We are the change that we've been screaming for."
    - Strung Out, Mission Statement

If you receive rep signed -M, it's probably from me... or one of the other three people using the same signature. In the scheme of things though, do you really care?

Quote Originally Posted by Celephais View Post
    Too... Much... Text... I'm interested in this topic but not enough to actually read this so far.

Methais, please read those posts and summerize in a picture.
    I couldn't give the slightest shit about politics or anything related to it, but ok.

Last edited by Methais; 08-10-2007 at 02:27 PM.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    I couldn't give the slightest shit about politics or anything related to it, but ok.

Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilvane View Post
    I saw this opinion piece and thought it was pretty interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ELLEN GOODMAN
    E-male
    By Ellen Goodman, Globe Columnist | August 10, 2007

...The American Prospect's Garance Franke-Ruta, who was on the panel notes, wryly, "If you're an angry man you're righteous. If you're an angry woman, you're crazy or a bitch." ...

© Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company
    Heh.

Meges

Heh yeah, pretty much. Angry women ARE bitches though.

"When man makes a mistake we call it evil. When God makes a mistake we call it nature."
    Last edited by CrystalTears; 08-10-2007 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalTears View Post
    Heh yeah, pretty much. Angry women ARE bitches though.
    Don't kid yourself. All women are bitches.
    There's no such thing as a bad word...just words used badly.