Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Protection

Default GM Protection

I would just like to get some feedback and/or explanation of why GMs are the only ones who are not allowed to have their personal life spoken about.

There are personal attacks done on this board about a plethora of people, be it members, political figures, nobodies in news stories.. what makes GMs of a text based game immune from such discussions?

Good God.
    Last edited by Jolena; 07-20-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Good God what? I wanted some understanding of why when it's regarding a GM, the staff is all over it. It's a discrimination that I have never understood.

This isn't about wanting to have the ability to make fun of any GM we want on any level. Frankly I understand not having any personal attacks. People however focus more when it's about a GM and then it becomes a different story.

It's different when it's an actual issue of the GM doing something wrong.

It's entirely different when you go into the reasons behind said persons divorce, the reason behind it, the girlfriend he's involved with, what he's done in his life, etc..

Nevermind that this guy is a genuinely nice guy who doesn't deserve a bunch of morons going on about him.

It's not about protecting GM's. It's about protecting a person from being attacked in general.

I'd venture you wouldn't appreciate your personal life broadcast over the internet for everyone to see either.

Angela
    *Reserves the right to change her opinion at any time.

"I am only one, but still, I am one. I cannot do everything but I can do something. And, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do what I can." ---Edward Everett Hale

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.---Mark Twain

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalTears View Post
    Good God what? I wanted some understanding of why when it's regarding a GM, the staff is all over it. It's a discrimination that I have never understood.

This isn't about wanting to have the ability to make fun of any GM we want on any level. Frankly I understand not having any personal attacks. People however focus more when it's about a GM and then it becomes a different story.
    I don't get it either. Ilvane's comments in the previous thread (threats to delete posts) are completely assinine.

And when the fuck did personal attacks become out of bounds? Ridiculous double standard. I don't read this board to see a bunch of moderated bullshit, I read it because there is very little moderation (as it should be).

I called Warden an imbecile in another thread today. Is that cool, or does Ilvane like him and my post will have to be deleted?

The thing is, people are going to say that 'He put his personal life out there' or 'She put their personal life out there' but the truth is, no its not that simple. They have both said that they are a couple, and they have appeared at con's together, yes but neither of them has said "Oh I got a divorce" or "I split up with this person" and everything else that is being said is just vicious, mean-spirited, personal attacks AND supposition.

Discussion of the GM in question and whether or not he shows favoritism to his girlfriend is one thing. Talking about his divorce, tossing out things like his girlfriend is a fat whore and is sucking dick for merchant work, etc is not on topic and shouldn't even be brought into the discussion. Those things weren't put out there by the GM or the girlfriend either, so that's why I have an issue with it. (Though I do think that it should be done for everyone, not just a GM because he's a nice guy)

Lol what a joke.
    We'll drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink and fight! Hey!

Right, discuss all you want about so called favoritism, show proof if you have it, but don't bring personal attacks into it.

I don't think it's that unreasonable.
    *Reserves the right to change her opinion at any time.

"I am only one, but still, I am one. I cannot do everything but I can do something. And, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do what I can." ---Edward Everett Hale

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.---Mark Twain

First of all, I didn't want a response from you, but I got it anyway. Oh well.

Second, if I had stated my personal business on the internet for others to pick on, that's a burden I have to take. If people want to mock me for something, I'm old enough to be able to take care of myself. That was my mistake to deal with.

Third, it IS about protecting favorite GMs because if anyone else was being discussed in the same fashion and they didn't take the time to register to the boards to report and/or IM a moderator to remove it, it would stay for the most part. I've just noticed that when it comes to a GM, it's all about protecting their privacy, and I don't remember ever reading any rules that we have to protect their identity or public knowledge of personal life.

You've (Ilvane) admitted it's directly effecting your moderation because these personal attacks are against your so called "friends" as well.

Do you have any clue how idiotic that makes you look? That's rhetorical don't bother answering.
    Last edited by Sean of the Thread; 07-20-2007 at 02:35 PM.
    We'll drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink and fight! Hey!