Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bump crazy

Arrow Bump craziness

It seems Anticor is no longer that active, he was last on 5/5/2007, but I haven't seen any posts by him in some time. Seeing as how he's the Merchant Market admin, could we get one of the active admins put on Merchant Market (either in addition or take over, I don't care).

I have half a mind to "free bump" all the threads at the bottom of the folder to bury the people who manually bump before the 24 hour bump rule (I know at one point it was a "rule", and I don't feel like reading through the actual rules to find it). It's one thing if someone doesn't know, but some people (*ahem*) are pretty blatent...

I also think poor GS4-D's thread got heavily derailed (um... heh)
    Last edited by Celephais; 05-22-2007 at 09:02 AM.

I'd also like to suggest that if someone is running a thread with their items in it that they should keep their items to that thread instead of making multiple threads to flood the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'd also like to suggest that if someone is running a thread with their items in it that they should keep their items to that thread instead of making multiple threads to flood the forum.
    I agree, I was about to make a post stating something like the first three or four pages can safely be assumed to be active, and realized there were a few "solds" on that page that really have no easy way to determine if they're sold.

Is here any easy/automated way to create a folder and if the OP edits their initial post to start with "Sold" then the thread gets moved to a subfolder? (possibly letting them edit it again to "unsold" it). That'd be cool, but probably wishful thinking.

It's a nice idea to have sold thread items be moved to a subfolder, it would just be a time intensive job for the mod involved. Once moved, the only way to reinstate it were to be to have the mod move it back. It would be a bit of a chore.

Perhaps encourage people to use the post icons. Like the little note looking one for new and existing sales, and then be changed to the thumb's up icon when sold.

I'm not sure what to do about the bumps though. Some people don't listen to the whole only bump once every 24 hours and just insist that it be the top item on the list.

~ Mario

"A chi dai il dito si prende anche il braccio."

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalTears View Post
    It's a nice idea to have sold thread items be moved to a subfolder, it would just be a time intensive job for the mod involved. Once moved, the only way to reinstate it were to be to have the mod move it back. It would be a bit of a chore.
    That's why I was wondering if there was a way to automate it, way too much of a pain to do it manually

Perhaps encourage people to use the post icons. Like the little note looking one for new and existing sales, and then be changed to the thumb's up icon when sold.
    I like this idea... but like my original idea, hard to get people to follow through with it....

I'm not sure what to do about the bumps though. Some people don't listen to the whole only bump once every 24 hours and just insist that it be the top item on the list.
    That's why I'm asking that an active mod be placed on the folder, I think locking their threads would be a pretty good way to keep people from being selfish about the first page (with warnings/temp board lockout to people who try to circumvent that by re-posting). Only so many threads can fit on the first page, no reason one individual's should be self-stickied.

I don't mind updates/discussion/additions, it's just the single word "bump" that's obnoxious (particuarly "bump/delete post") when done so frequently. When I see a thread on the "new post" page, I expect to be able to read someone's drivel, not the word "bump".
    Last edited by Celephais; 05-21-2007 at 04:25 PM. Reason: stupid brackets

bump

fuckers who would bump like that!!!!!!!
    Bruce (Sergey)

Quote Originally Posted by Celephais View Post
    It seems Anticor is no longer that active, he was last on 5/5/2007, but I haven't seen any posts by him in some time. Seeing as how he's the Merchant Market admin, could we get one of the active admins put on Merchant Market (either in addition or take over, I don't care).

I have half a mind to "free bump" all the threads at the bottom of the folder to bury the people who manually bump before the 24 hour bump rule (I know at one point it was a "rule", and I don't feel like reading through the actual rules to find it). It's one thing if someone doesn't know, but some people (*ahem*) are pretty blatent...

I also think poor GS4-D's thread got heavily derailed (um... heh)
    We had a 24 hour bump rule???

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    /agreed

I also agree that we need to update our mod list or Anticor needs to unass RL and stop back by for a visit.

How about making a requirement that to be a mod of a Gemstone folder, you have to be actively playing Gemstone??? Experience is great, but how current can you realistically expect one to be if they arent a subscriber to the game???
    Last edited by Gan; 05-21-2007 at 05:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganalon View Post
    We had a 24 hour bump rule???
    I didn't make it up... I remember someone more official than me telling someone to cut the useless bumps down to at most once every 24 hours, because they were bumping there thread as soon as it fell off the first post (I want to say it was Anticor but I'm not sure of that at all). It was in my "formative" GSPC time, so it stuck in my head as being an official kind of "rule" (not in the faq or anything, but stated by a mod).

If it's not a rule, consider this a proposal for it, and a request for some mod to be on that folder.