Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless people

Default Homeless people

There are way too many homeless people and panhandlers in downtown Richmond.

I was at Subway a few weeks ago with my roommate, and while we were ordering, I noticed that there was a 30ish slightly overweight guy talking to the cashier. I didn't really pay attention to what he was mumbling until I got to the register.

Homeless Guy: "Hey man I jus' want suttin' to eat...I'm jus' tryin' to get some food..."

Cashier: <steadfastly ignoring him>

Me: "Uh, I had the sweet onion chicken teriyaki."

Cashier: "$6.60"

HG <turning to me>: "Hey fams, do you have any change?"

Me: "...sorry."

HG <slightly hostile>: "Oh, you're payin' with a credit card?"

Me <slightly awkward>: "Yeah"

HG: "Can you buy me a sandwich?"

Me: "...sorry, no."

Cashier <to me, while giving HG look of dath>: "Do you want a drink?"

Me: "No thanks. Have a good night."

The above sequence happens again with my roommate. Said homeless guy looks at us angrily, and shuffles out.

I used to feel for homeless, until I moved here. Seeing the same people at the same intersection with the same sign month after month has pretty much left me to the point where they're just part of the scenery. Then again, they're better than the ones who loiter around drinking 40s a block north from my apartment.

The only guy I give money to is the one with the fucked up arm from getting shot 13 times, who was denied social security and worker's comp who's only trying to get a $5 pizza from Little Ceasars.

And I only give him money sometimes.
    Space for rent, inquire within.

I was wandering through downtown Portland the other day and some stereotypical homeless guy (who looked and smelled like he'd spent the last six months doing nothing but jacking off into an ashtray while sipping a beer in a porta-potty) came up next to me and started talking to me, and I admit I wasn't even listening to him... I just shrugged and kept walking the way I was... I've heard the same wrap 2,000 times, you have no reason to be talking to me except to beg for money and it's not worth pulling my headphones out to listen to!

I stopped off at the mall to grab some lunch, and the same guy suddenly came and sat down at my table and said "I thought you said you didn't have any money" (Funny that I remember saying absolutely nothing at all) and CONTINUED to sit there and berate me about how much of a prick I was for "hating him for being pitiful" until security finally came and removed him.

Now, I'm understanding that their life isn't exactly easy and I don't hate homeless people as much as I just don't care (it's the laissez-faire functionalist in me)... but that's my biggest problem with homeless people...

It's one thing to beg for money (you gotta do what you gotta do) but it's people like this who reaffirm my belief that the majority of these people are nothing but lazy ass human waste who should be rounded up and sent off to work-farms (not so much laissez-faire at that point)

That said... I know there are plenty of homeless people who DON'T harass people outside of a humble "spare some change?" and I don't mind them.
    Last edited by Lomoriond; 04-22-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Have you seen that one homeless couple that panhandle off the 76B exit onto Belvidere?

They've had the same sign since I moved in last July.

"No job. Two kids. Rent two months late. Please help."

I've only seen one homeless couple, and they were on Grace St by the Nanci Raygun. The girl asked me for change in a sentence where every word started with P. I told her I approved of her alliteration but didn't have any change.
    Space for rent, inquire within.

I'd give this guy money.

Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drisco View Post
    I am a le doche.

I dont live in a big city but there are homeless people even around our Town. I'm not a fan of them at all. I know some people are down on their luck and are having a hard time in life, but there is a main diffrence between down on your luck, lazy and alcholic/drug addict. When I see people I can usually read them pretty well, so when I see homeless people If I think they are down on their luck I will usually give them a good amount of money (5-10$). But if I see a cracked out person that smells of booze I will ethier ignore them, tell them I have no money or give them pennies and dimes.

Its all about what I think of the person.

AHAHAHAH LMAO Skeeter
    Last edited by Drisco; 04-22-2007 at 09:26 PM.

I sometimes pass out 40s.

Heh My biggest ever was a 50$ to a Young girl with a little girl.

I used to volunteer about 20 hours in a homeless shelter. not handing out food, but "counseling" guests through the myriad problems they said they had.

That said in the interest of full disclosure: many, if not most, of the homeless people I know are in the same place they've been because: A) there are inadequate social services to help them back on their feet (most places provide a meal, and maybe, MAYBE a bed to sleep in, which is enough to keep you alive), B) no one GIVES them enough money other than to meet basic needs (even if they were all "honest" panhandlers, not looking for booze or a way to get high), and C) most of them distrust the social system so much so as to not be all to eager to plug themselves back in the rat race that put them on the street initially.

-TheE-
    A.M.D.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    D TEAM UNITE! YOUR HEAD CHEERLEADER IS CALLING, HIS ATTEMPTED RESCUE OF THEe IS FAILING.