Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to court - Advice please

Default Going to court - Advice please

Right so I got a citation for running a red light.

I pleaded not guilty since it was yellow when I entered the intersection, so now I have to goto court.

I have a pre-trial thing coming up. What should I expect there? Is it just the just the judge and me talking?

I say it wasn't red etc.. And what then? He says it goes to trial, or can he dismiss it here?

I only got the ticket because of two witnesses. The cop wasn't around.

So are the witnesses supposed to be there for the pre-trial? Or just if it goes to trial?

I'm not sure about your state, but in VA it doesn't matter what color you enter the intersection at, it's when you actually go under the light that matters. That said, only the douchiest of douchy cops will give you a ticket for running a red light that was yellow until you went under it.

The trial will probably be your word vs theirs, I'm sure one of our lawyer types can tell you how to make your word look better and more reliable.
    Space for rent, inquire within.

The witnesses don't have to appear, they just give their statement to a cop and the cop can present it on their behalf. If it's your word against the witnesses, you're pretty much out of luck.

I know that for just fighting a speeding ticket you can usually just work something out with the prosecutor before the trial. But then again burning a red light is pretty hardcore.

If you're serious about not having this hurt your driving record, get a lawyer. It could cost you more than if you paid off the ticket, but atleast it won't hurt your insurance or your record and there are plenty of lawyers that specialize in these kinds of cases and can guarantee a victory for you or else it's free.
    Last edited by Kranar; 04-15-2007 at 11:29 PM.

Trying to find some relevant law info on the internet.. and I am coming up blank. Dead links, or irrelevant information. This sucks.

Basically the witnesses may or may not show. I'm assuming that's how you were caught going through the light, and not a photograph from the traffic light?

Depending on the court, you'll most likely check in, sit down and wait for your name to be called. They will appoint a lawyer to you unless you have your own, and you will come back when they tell you.

It's really easy really. If the lawyer's cool with you and the judge doesn't have a hard-on for things like this, you'll get the ticket reduced and pay a fine.
    Last edited by The Ponzzz; 04-15-2007 at 11:52 PM.
    ~ Mario

"A chi dai il dito si prende anche il braccio."

I only got the ticket because of two witnesses. The cop wasn't around.
    I'm confused...how did that actually happen? You ran a red light, and some people ran up to a cop and were like "HAY TAHT GUY RAN A RED LIGHT GIVE HIM A TICKET LOLZ!"?
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

7. Default

Then again you might be lucky, if the cop doesn't show you'll get off scot free.

Quote Originally Posted by Davenshire View Post
    Then again you might be lucky, if the cop doesn't show you'll get off scot free.

This is false, cops don't have to show.
    ~ Mario

"A chi dai il dito si prende anche il braccio."

yeah, answer Methais's question: how'd you get a ticket if there was no cop around? Did you hit someone??

How clean is your driving record?

How reliable are the witnesses?

If the cop wasn't there, he cannot testify to what he saw, which is good since the testimony of cops is almost sacrosanct. He can only testify to what the witnesses said, and second hand testimony is always more suspect.

There were no witnesses who saw you enter the intersection when it was yellow? Like someone said, technically, it only matters as to what color it is when you pass under it, but it shouldn't be such a situation.

-TheE-
    A.M.D.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    D TEAM UNITE! YOUR HEAD CHEERLEADER IS CALLING, HIS ATTEMPTED RESCUE OF THEe IS FAILING.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The Ponzzz View Post
    This is false, cops don't have to show.
    Damnit really poonnzzz? I feel like a slappy spouting it then. I had a pal that used to get a lot of tickets and was always on high risk insurance. he must have just been tlaking shit : ( Oh well, good luck in court anyways!