Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best of the Best Console Games Thread

Default The Best of the Best Console Games Thread

Figured we could use a “catch-all” thread for console games since a title will come up for discussion semi-frequently and the discussions will eventually mention other titles and platforms. If this works maybe it could be stickied...

Since I purchased a new 46" DLP HD TV, and Tower Records has a crazy 30% off sale on console games (new titles included) I’ve stocked up on a few titles. Okami, Devil May Cry III, Onimusha III and Genji.

Finished off Genji in a few days. Beautiful game, but way too easy. I did not even bother to buy more than one custom weapon.

Working on Okami now which 3704558 recommended in the FFVII thread. As a graphic designer I am enthralled with this game. The unconventional treatment of 3D to make it appear like a watercolor painting is exceptionally executed. The innovation of the art brush techniques makes this already visually unique game a home-run on originality. They really out did themselves by combining the art brush techniques into every aspect of game-play... puzzle solving, combat, and environmental effects.

Most every character is an icon with a real personality and the story behind the game is based on an ancient legend which they capture and simplify well.

Well into a week of playing at least a few hours a night I am still not done. It has amazing sounds as well as an animal “love” system that I am anxious to discover the benefits of.

My biggest complaint about this game is the subtitles. Its distracting from the visuals. Another complaint is having to back-track to get all the goods. When I clear an area I like to forget about it. But this game will have you going back to all the places you’ve been throughout the entire game looking for secrets that your new abilities will allow you to acquire.

All in all one of the most innovative twists on a common genre I’ve played over and over and am enjoying immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    Well into a week of playing at least a few hours a night I am still not done. It has amazing sounds as well as an animal “love” system that I am anxious to discover the benefits of.
    I'm not so sure I wanna find animal "love" in anything, game or not. As for best of the best console game, which catergory? Multiplayer?RPG?FPS?Stealth?Sims? Anyways I'll just throw out some titles I think is worth buying. DragonBall: Budokai 4 buy it if you have a nephew,cousin,brother who's around 10. You wont regret it, I love spending 2 hours playing it with my nephew. As for the female gamer in the house I highly suggest La Pucelle Tactic, great game for every age and it makes them think of tactics. For my own anjoyment however,I love Disgaea 2. For the whole family enjoyment? Guitar Hero 2 or DDR:extreme. Yep, it seems I'm bias and only play games on the Ps2, but for the life of me I can't seem to bring myself to buy an xbox360.
    Is your life and movie, or a book?

Star Control II on 3DO is still one of the best games ever imho.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

I just finished Okami last night. It definitely ranks up there as one of my personal favorite games of all time. Yeah, the subtitles do get annoying, especially with the "animalese" sounds they use to talk. My final playthrough time was around 50 hours, but I discovered as much as possible. Found all the stray beads, fed most of the animals, got all the upgrades, and so on.

Once you finish the game, it gives you a rank on different categories which will unlock some stuff. I think the ranks are based on enemies killed, money gained, demon fangs collected, final play time, and how many times you died. If you get an S-Rank in a category, it'll unlock what it calls Kamic Transformers, which will change the look of Amaterasu in the Newgame+.

My only complaint with the game was that it was a bit easy, especially the dungeons. I didn't die once. But that didn't make it any less fun.

Unfortunately, there won't be an Okami 2, since Capcom dissolved Clover Studios.

Two other incredible games that are often overlooked are from the same studio (which I can't remember the name of). Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. One is an adventure/puzzle game with a really good story, the other is essentially a game filled only with boss battles, but the bosses are gigantic (several screens large), and the trick is to climb on top of the bosses and find their weak spots.

A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are also required playing.
    Last edited by Numbers; 10-30-2006 at 01:43 PM.

what is shadow of the colossus about?
    Quote Originally Posted by GS3 Michiko View Post
    Let's go fuckers, I want to see more cock!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beguiler View Post
    I hadn't realized that I was a cockaholic!

Kill big stuff in amazingly wierd and puzzing ways.
    Intense game with raving reviews.
    Look it up on Gamespot.

thx
    Quote Originally Posted by GS3 Michiko View Post
    Let's go fuckers, I want to see more cock!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beguiler View Post
    I hadn't realized that I was a cockaholic!

That pretty much sums it up. The story is kind of vague. There's a chick in a coma, you're a dude with a horse, the land you run around is is completely empty of people or civilization, you've got a holy sword and a bow and arrow, big booming god voice says he can save the chick if you kill a bunch of giants. You go outside, raise the sword, and a lightbeam points you where the next colossus is.

They're usually enormous, and the trick is to figure out how to get on the colossus in the first place, and then hang on while it thrashes around, all while trying to climb towards the weak spot which you have to reveal by shining your sword at it. The first few colossi are really easy, but once they start shooting you with rapid fire laser beams, the game gets really tricky, especially when trying to figure out how to get onto the colossus.

My brothers and I played Need for Speed: High Stakes on PS1 for months.

We had one course that we liked and we played into the night trying to beat the other person's lap time.

You'd wake up in the morning and the TV would be on showing the end lap results and think "Damn, I can squeeze in a few races before work".

Barring that I'd say my top 3:

GTA (series on PS2)
    Gran Turismo 1-3 (not so much 4)
    SOCOM: Navy Seals (1 more than 2)
    [11:16] Harmnone: Wezas, shut the fuck up
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuhthol
    My girlfriend plays World of Warcraft better than I do.
    Favorite myspace site: http://myspace.com/badtie

Tenchu. ~ PS
    First game I saw to use stealth tactics since I missed MGS.

NHLPA Hockey. ~ Megadrive
    Never ever gets old. Not even to this day.

Perfect Dark ~ N64
    The only multiplayer shooter I've been able to spend an entire summer with friends getting stats crazy high.

All 3, all time favourites.

And for fun I'll give a shout to Ikaruga.
    Play that after taking joy enhancing substances and you'll have a seizure or an episode of some kind. Amazingly hard but fun game.