Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Republicans masquerade as Democrats?

Default Why do Republicans masquerade as Democrats?

With all this balleyhoo about Democracy and freedom, why do Republicans not say they are for a Republic, their namesake, before a Democracy? Why do they give the impression that they want Democracy, which is basically the people’s voice, but don’t really want that? Power? Fame? Fortune?

Why do you continue to make up shit?

From wikipedia...

History/entomology of the Republican Party.
    Creation - Republican Party

The new party was created in 1854 in response to the Kansas-Nebraska Act that would have allowed the expansion of slavery into Kansas. Activists denounced it as proof of the power of the Slave Power--the powerful class of slaveholders who were conspiring to control the federal government and to spread slavery nationwide. The name "Republican" gained such favor in 1854 simply because as a title it connected voters with the original political organization of Thomas Jefferson in the 1790s. Thus the leaders drew upon the tradition of the National Republican Party of John Quincy Adams and Henry Clay, as well as Jefferson's Republican Party. The party founders adopted the name "Republican" to indicate it was the carrier of "republican" beliefs about civic virtue, and opposition to aristocracy and corruption.

And the Democratic Party:
    The Democratic Party is one of two major contemporary political parties in the United States, the other being the Republican Party. The party under its present name was established by Andrew Jackson during the 1820s, but it traces its origins to Thomas Jefferson and the Republican Party in 1792, later referred to as the Democratic-Republican Party. It is, along with Britain's Conservative Party, one of the two oldest political parties in the world.
    Last edited by Gan; 09-23-2006 at 07:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

Actually, with regards to political ideology, here's where I see the parties stance.

Republicans - conservatism, neo-conservatism

Democrats - progressivism, liberalism (social liberalism, not economic liberalism)
    Last edited by Gan; 09-23-2006 at 08:08 PM.
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.

Thats great, citing Wikipedia and all, but this is the 21st Century. I know the two parties were one party at some point, then there was a split. I’m not suggesting that Republicans have not contributed to the greatness of our country throughout history.

Our system is a Republic and no matter how you want to get around it, there is a Republican party espousing the ways of Democracy, the namesake of the Democratic party.

I suppose I’m getting technical with the semantics.

You're lost in your own descriptions.

If what your'e after is a direct democracy and why we dont have it. I would simply state that it encourages that which you are fundamentally against. The imposing of the majority's will upon the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    Thats great, citing Wikipedia and all, but this is the 21st Century. I know the two parties were one party at some point, then there was a split. I’m not suggesting that Republicans have not contributed to the greatness of our country throughout history.

Our system is a Republic and no matter how you want to get around it, there is a Republican party espousing the ways of Democracy, the namesake of the Democratic party.

I suppose I’m getting technical with the semantics.

The reason why I quoted wikipedia, is to give you a hint in looking things up for accuracy before spouting them off. You're incorrect in the origins and entamology of both parties. Which puts you off on the wrong foot for your argument from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganalon View Post
    You're lost in your own descriptions.

If what your'e after is a direct democracy and why we dont have it. I would simply state that it encourages that which you are fundamentally against. The imposing of the majority's will upon the minority.
    Uh, last I checked, majority wins in this country. Why do you hate Democracy and this country?

So you are advocating a direct democracy (true democracy) over a representative democracy (republic)?

So if we're a republic and still have the majority's will being imposed over the minority. What do you hope to gain by becomming a direct democracy which does the same thing?

"Pure democracy cannot subsist long nor be carried far into the departments of state — it is very subject to caprice and the madness of popular rage." - John Witherspoon (one of the signers of the Declaration of Independance)

"That a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity." - Alexander Hamilton
    Last edited by Gan; 09-23-2006 at 08:32 PM.

It's only 7:30pm EST and backlash is drunk again.
    We'll drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink and fight! Hey!

Yea, the rest of the night ought to prove interesting if he keeps up his PUI (posting under the influence).

I wont make a guess as to what he's under the influence of since we know he has options.

(we'll be able to tell based on whether or not his posts have a paranoid or raving slant)
    Last edited by Gan; 09-23-2006 at 09:10 PM.