Thread: Supreme Court using foriegn laws or court decisions

Default Supreme Court using foriegn laws or court decisions

Ok, was reading this article about death threats against justices, which is pretty fucked up no matter who is doing it or why, but the subject of American Supreme Court judges using foreign precedents for their decisions struck me as controversial.

This really doesn't bother me at all, being a worldly global culture kind of person. I'd really like to see the UN taken more seriously and expanded.

When the article says "foreign" I'm pretty sure they mean european. We are one of the few countries in the world that still practices capital punishment. Society as a whole, all people from all countries, is evolving constantly. If we are really democratic why wouldn't we listen to the opinions of the majority of the world?

Does this really bother anyone else?

Article for reference

On this issue in particular?

No.
    But this one goes to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by GS3Chica
    (6:54 PM): dont make me SHATTER YOUR FACE
    Rep. John Murtha on Cheney and Bush:
    I like guys who've never been there who criticize us who've been there...I like that. I like guys who got five deferments and never been there and sent people to war and then don't like to hear suggestions that what may need to be done.

"Ginsburg revealed in a speech in South Africa last month that she and O'Connor were threatened a year ago by someone who called on the Internet for the immediate "patriotic" killing of the justices."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I love how the right-wingers can justify any action through patriotism.

I am not sure how seriously we should take threats against Supreme Court Justices in internet chat rooms. Personally I wouldn't put a lot of weight on them. As much as I dislike Ann Coulter (mostly for being an ignorant pin-head), I think her comments were very tongue in cheek and not a serious incitement to violence.
    Parkbandit: "I'm now Rush Limbaugh? I'm flattered actually"

Daniel: "If you want I can ask my mom at the U of Chicago"

Quote Originally Posted by emperor peam
    "Ginsburg revealed in a speech in South Africa last month that she and O'Connor were threatened a year ago by someone who called on the Internet for the immediate "patriotic" killing of the justices."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I love how the right-wingers can justify any action through patriotism.
    In her defense, Ginsburg is the last no-bullshit-liberal SCJ amongst the other idiots who I would have to imagine got more than a bit frightened over the MS-DOS release of Commander Keen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anticor
    If you and Jar Jar Binks had a child it would rule the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Burrell
    Wikka wikka my nikka yo yo yo yo: CHECK IT. Tha thang in the thang and bedump bedump da BEBANG knowwhatIsayin?!