Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quitting

Default Quitting

Anyone here ever quit smoking? I'm just about to start the stop, and was wondering the kinds of stuff i'll be going through. I had set a date for Feb. 1st, but I didn't have the cash yesterday to buy a box of gum. (Couldn't find my wallet).

A pack a day is just too damned expensive. Just looking for some reinforcement from some of you people, you seem to have it together with this kinda thing. Thanks!

My plan? Eat lots of celery, Go to class, do homework, keep my room spotless, powerlevel Rada (and maybe quiake the park a few times in frustration), Play Banjo, go to the gym. Anything else I could be doing?

ANything you can do to keep yourself from smoking. I've quit more than once, and each time it got easier. The trick is to NOT rationalize smoking for any reason.

If you are swamped with school and work, it might be a bad idea to quit until your life slows down a bit, because that will get overwhelming.

Actually I just started on the patch this past weekend and it is working out great. Haven't even had the urge for a smoke and I have been smoking 15 yrs. I am only going to do 2 wks worth though, it is worth 50 bucks to me but, not worth over 200 to do the whole program

I am actually in a smoking cessation class. It pretty much is taught by a syllabus Yale put out teaching people how to teach people to quit (does that make sense). So questions can be directed my way if you need any help.

To what Marluxian said, think about how much you spend on cigarrettes in a month or year. Think about even in a lifetime. 200 bucks to save thousands is not a bad when you do the cost-benefit analysis of it all.

I quit November 18th 2005 and am doing well. I found that if I kept some smokes around so I wouldn't be "out" and have that massive omg I gotta goto the store feeling It made it alot easier just knowing they were on hand. I even carried them around for a couple weeks as It was too hard not to have them on me. Amazing how addicting they are.

My old lady quit 2 weeks ago when the doctor told her she had a tumor on her lip. She hasn't touched one since and had surgery to remove it 7? days ago. She is already excited about the money she has saved.
    We'll drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink and fight! Hey!

No advice per se, but good luck and Godspeed. I think I've told you this before, but everything Spike does isn't automatically cool (e.g. smoking).

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinsorm
    everything Spike does isn't automatically cool (e.g. smoking).

Bugger off you sodding poof.
    [11:16] Harmnone: Wezas, shut the fuck up
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuhthol
    My girlfriend plays World of Warcraft better than I do.
    Favorite myspace site: http://myspace.com/badtie

I quit 7 or so years ago.

Some quick tips, exercise it will help burn up nervous energy you will have from quitting and it will help keep those pounds off. I found I ate a lot more to start with and had put on 10 pounds in no time. I did the patch for a few days and then went cold turkey, I have heard zyban is good for quitting. Also I planned around times that I would want a smoke most, like after dinner or after coffee. I cut down on coffee some as well. I didn't hang out with smokers or at places where people would smoke. Number one thing is to make a firm commitment to yourself to not smoke, no matter what. I don't think quitting when you are busy is a bad thing, as long as you don't have excess stress. For me it was better to keep busy rather than sit around with time on my hands and think about smoking. The other thing I noticed was that my ability to concentrate was reduced for a week or two and I had to double check all my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezas
    Bugger off you sodding poof.
    Spike Spiegal, the guy in rada's avatar.

(poof)

Quote Originally Posted by xtc
    I quit 7 or so years ago.

....The other thing I noticed was that my ability to concentrate was reduced .....
    That much is obvious.

Studies of shown that cigs give brief moments of acute concentration and subjects have a higher IQ whilst ingesting nicotine.
    We'll drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink and fight! Hey!