Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legalizing Voter Disenfranchisement or Much Needed Vote Reform?

Default Legalizing Voter Disenfranchisement or Much Needed Vote Reform?

Black Lawmakers Vow to Repeal Ga. Voter Law

ATLANTA (AP) - At the end of a losing battle during the past legislative session, Georgia state Rep. Alisha Thomas Morgan burst into the civil rights anthem ``Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around'' to protest the passage of a law requiring voters to show a photo ID at the polls.

In the next session starting Jan. 9, the 27-year-old black Democrat says she will not be moved in her fight to get the law repealed.

``It's whatever it takes,'' Morgan said. ``I'm putting on the armor. Nothing they can do will fix the bill. It's a bad law and it needs to be repealed. We're not going backwards.''

Thomas and other black lawmakers know they are in for a battle as Republicans stand determined to defend the law, which requires voters who do not have a driver's license to buy a state-issued ID card for as much as $35 - a fee critics say hurts the poor, the elderly and minorities.

The law eliminates the use of some other forms of identification to vote, including Social Security cards, birth certificates and utility bills. Supporters, including Republican Gov. Sonny Perdue, argued that the measure would help prevent fraud.
    ---------------------------------------------

Ok, I think we all agree our voting system is in need of an overhaul, but I seriously do not agree with this answer. As it stands in most states you just show up, state your name and address, and vote. That simple.

So I get the idea. Nobody wants someone to go to ten polling stations across town under different names and addresses casting ten votes. Possible? Sure.

This specific law however, to me, sounds like more republican fixing. Thats my opinion based on stories from past elections.

If we are going to bury this supposed “fraud” issue, then we need to federalize the voting system. Everyone who registers gets a card, shows up to vote, states name and address, and turns in the card. Done.

Good law, in my opinion.

You need a photo ID to do a lot of things; voting should be one of them.

3. Default

Not a bad idea... Issue the photo ID for free so people don't have to choose whether to be able to vote or feed their children.

Raven
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    ~ Mark Twain in Eruption

Well I also agree that you should have to do more than show up and state your name to vote.
    Bill Maher: "The Democrats have moved to the right, and the Republicans have moved to a mental hospital."

Wezas: People sometimes confuse retarded people with republicans.

[LNet]-GSIV:Tservin: "An airship floats past high above, heading east towards Ta'Loenthra. whats thats?"
    [LNet]-GSIV:Gargamish: "normal illistim messaging for the dais"
    [LNet]-GSIV:Ylandra: "ambience scripts, Tservin, nothing important"
    [LNet]-GSIV:Arodon: "That air ship is Ardwen's?"

Originally posted by Ravenstorm
    Not a bad idea... Issue the photo ID for free so people don't have to choose whether to be able to vote or feed their children.

Raven

Jorddyn

Sounds like a good law.

They need to look at giving assistance for those who can show proof of financial hardship for paying for it. Or as Raven said, issue it for free to those people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.

Considering we pay state tax on top of sales tax, if the IDs were free, I would agree.

Then again, when you register to vote, you have to give a name and address to get a voter registration card sent to you. You are on record as being that person at that address. The polls mark off who votes by name and address.

It seems unnecessary to me to try and change a system that has actually worked.

If anything we need to look into those electronic voting machines.

I'm wondering one thing, Backlash. Why do you think it's a Republican trick? Are you saying only Democrats have poor and uneducated members, and therefor don't have or have access to a photo I.D.?

Originally posted by Hulkein
    I'm wondering one thing, Backlash. Why do you think it's a Republican trick? Are you saying only Democrats have poor and uneducated members, and therefor don't have or have access to a photo I.D.?
    In my original post I told you my opinion and why I had it. To refresh your memory I relate this to redrawing of district lines, telemarketing campaigns of not only dissuasion but outright deceit and what happened in both Florida and Ohio’s elections.

There are many people across party lines that are below poverty level. Which party recognizes that and which party couldn’t care less?

Originally posted by Backlash
    Which party recognizes that and which party couldn’t care less?
    A shining example of that would be pre-Katrina New Orleans. Where over 60% of the population was on some form of government assistance from partial to complete.

The poor are the mule of all politicans, Democrat and Republican alike. They get rode hard then put up wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranar View Post
    If you can't handle some offensive content on a real time message board, then don't read them.
    Tough times never last but tough people do. -Robert H Schuller.