Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax cuts + spending != a healthy economy.

I love the new outbreak of conservative dittoism.

Originally posted by Warriorbird
    I love the new outbreak of conservative dittoism.
    ^ What he said.
    [11:16] Harmnone: Wezas, shut the fuck up
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuhthol
    My girlfriend plays World of Warcraft better than I do.
    Favorite myspace site: http://myspace.com/badtie

Clearly. We must adopt this scintillating strategy.

Heh, I love the bandwagon jumpers. It takes quite a bit of thought and individuality to follow.

Ganalon was right about Greenspan, and thanks for pointing it out. I had read an article about Clinton that mentioned his appointing him but didn’t follow up on his history.

Another interesting fact about Greenspan. He supported Clinton’s economic policies while not one republican voted for it. Thats too bad, otherwise republicans could have taken some credit for the most unprecidented economic growth in this countries history. Don’t even think about trying to bring up the internet bubble crap. Clinton economics were much much more than a public internet share frenzy.

There isn't one honest person out there who can say with any validity that the Clinton years were not an economic boom. When was the last time you heard budget surplus? Oh yeah, thats right, the year Bush Jr. took office.

And the reason I bring up Clinton is... unfortunately its the only thing we have to compare to. Sucks because its a hard act to follow. Its shameful how everything that Clinton built up was spent away by this administration, and it isnt even going to stop there.

On China, Venezuela and Russia... well, I don’t see how you can possibly say the first two don’t work. And the question is, work for who? China as we all know is booming. Venezuela isn’t going anywhere any time soon. They've narrowed the gap between the rich and the poor in just a few years. The Soviet Union may have fallen, but Russia is still a superpower.

Nationalizing resources at this point is just a matter of opinion. Its my opinion that it is the right thing to do, profits be damned.

[Edited on 9-23-2005 by Backlash]

Michael Moore is fat.
    We'll drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink and fight! Hey!

Doubled government spending does not equal being fiscally conservative. Tax cutting on top of that is a ridiculous notion.

Originally posted by Backlash
    On China, Venezuela and Russia... well, I don’t see how you can possibly say the first two don’t work. And the question is, work for who? China as we all know is booming. Venezuela isn’t going anywhere any time soon. They've narrowed the gap between the rich and the poor in just a few years. The Soviet Union may have fallen, but Russia is still a superpower.

Nationalizing resources at this point is just a matter of opinion. Its my opinion that it is the right thing to do, profits be damned.

[Edited on 9-23-2005 by Backlash]
    China is trying to avoid an economic implosion and is dependent on foreign investment to keep the wheels creased. When foreign investment ceases, China will completely break down into the "haves" coastal region vs the "haves not" interior region - as the SOE employing the masses will be forced to shutdown as they cannot compete on the international market if China adhers to WTO rules.

Venzuela is benefiting from high oil prices at the moment, but it has effectively gutted future industry growth and the rest of its economy is stagnating. Once oil falls below $40/barrel, Venzuela's economy is doomed till western investment returns.

Russia is far from a superpower... it has been unable to stop the Western encroachment all the way into the Ukraine. It is currently playing Iran's side in the nuclear situation as a ploy to keep the US at bay.

Ok PB and Xyelin here we go (I almost kept my mouth shut on this):

Tax cuts and public spending encourage economic growth not govt. spending. Cutting taxes during war time is effort to have your cake and eat it too. It won't work.

The way the govt. plans on paying for all these mega billions is borrowing from the international community. Well the US has to pull major favors in order to encourage countries' interest in financing our economy.

I don't even know what this economic model is called but the immediate short term looks scary and the long term effect is worse.

In a way the US is becoming WorldCom.

<ducking behind the desk seeing the coming onslaught>
    "The sea was angry that day my friends. Like an old man returning soup at a deli."

No onslaught from me today. I'm being a hippy and relaxing.
    We'll drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink, and drink and fight! Hey!

I'd love to see some sources, Atlanteax. Economic parallels between Russia in Afghanistan and us in Iraq are very funny as well.

[Edited on 9-23-2005 by Warriorbird]