Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Stock trading and opinions

  1. Default Stock trading and opinions

    So I've been getting more and more lately into trading stocks. I know we have a number of intelligent and financially savvy folks here, so I would love to benefit from your knowledge.

    I'll start with some investments I've made over the past few years (winners and losers).
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

    "Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

    ďIf you donít believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you donít believe in free speech.Ē
    -My favorite liberal

  2. Default

    Some of my (and likely your) obvious investments have been in the following

    NVDA - I got into them about a year ago, owned 6 shares, just had a 10 for 1 stock split yesterday (at 60 shares now). I plan to hold them for awhile unless something changes in the market

    Funds I bought because I believe in the tech but am unsure where to specifically invest (ETFs and the like)
    AIQ - AI based holdings like NVDA, QCOM, NFLX, META, GOOGL, AMZN, AVGO, BABA, ORCL. Doing well, up 16% since I bought them in July 2023
    BOTZ - Global robotics and AI theme index. Again, doing well since I bought them, up 60% since 2019

    Stocks I bought thinking I would get rich quick and was quickly schooled
    CHPT - electric vehicle charging stations. Down 85% since feb 2023 (thankfully only put 1k into them)
    LAC - Lithium mining company - down 31% to date
    TSLA - was down 3%, sold out of it. I think electric vehicles are going to need a number of years more before any of these stocks do anything

    Great solid investments I picked up during covid
    ABBV - Worldwide pharma company. cost basis up 48% since 9/2021 (I keep investing more into them)

    Pharma stocks - big believer in the fat shots and drugs
    all of these are up between 20-35%
    LLY
    NVO
    HIMS

    Gambling stocks
    PENN - lost my ass, down 30%

    Tech
    SMCI - been on a rocket, 200% up when I sold, reinvested and I'm +25% (both invests of 10k)

    REITs
    IVR - during covid I CASHED THIS COW for about 10k, and then I thought it'd last forever and gave back 8k of it (all on an investment of 3k so down 1k now)
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

    "Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

    ďIf you donít believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you donít believe in free speech.Ē
    -My favorite liberal

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    yo mama
    Posts
    5,418

    Default

    I’m not qualified nor play the game enough to give any meaningful advice, but I will say JPM (JP Morgan Chase) is up 26% since December. I’m selling some of my shares this month because I believe it has reached its high point for the year & that is what the big chief is doing.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    Some of my (and likely your) obvious investments have been in the following

    NVDA - I got into them about a year ago, owned 6 shares, just had a 10 for 1 stock split yesterday (at 60 shares now). I plan to hold them for awhile unless something changes in the market

    Funds I bought because I believe in the tech but am unsure where to specifically invest (ETFs and the like)
    AIQ - AI based holdings like NVDA, QCOM, NFLX, META, GOOGL, AMZN, AVGO, BABA, ORCL. Doing well, up 16% since I bought them in July 2023
    BOTZ - Global robotics and AI theme index. Again, doing well since I bought them, up 60% since 2019

    Stocks I bought thinking I would get rich quick and was quickly schooled
    CHPT - electric vehicle charging stations. Down 85% since feb 2023 (thankfully only put 1k into them)
    LAC - Lithium mining company - down 31% to date
    TSLA - was down 3%, sold out of it. I think electric vehicles are going to need a number of years more before any of these stocks do anything

    Great solid investments I picked up during covid
    ABBV - Worldwide pharma company. cost basis up 48% since 9/2021 (I keep investing more into them)

    Pharma stocks - big believer in the fat shots and drugs
    all of these are up between 20-35%
    LLY
    NVO
    HIMS

    Gambling stocks
    PENN - lost my ass, down 30%

    Tech
    SMCI - been on a rocket, 200% up when I sold, reinvested and I'm +25% (both invests of 10k)

    REITs
    IVR - during covid I CASHED THIS COW for about 10k, and then I thought it'd last forever and gave back 8k of it (all on an investment of 3k so down 1k now)
    Buy low-mid cap altcoins, dump when bitcoin hits 100k+, roll out for 3-4 years.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible



  5. Default

    Just my thoughts in reviewing your list:

    NVDA should be a long term holding, not a trade. They are the biggest player in something big that's only in the early innings. Ride through any market volatility, it's worth owning long-term.

    Abbvie is rock-solid. Incredible product line of under-patent drugs and a deep pipeline. Same with Lilly.

    As far as gaming, PENN to me is not as enticing as others like Wynn Resorts (WYNN) or Las Vegas Sands (LVS) which both have the all-important Macau exposure. Both are starting to look quite attractive at current levels.

    REITs scare me right now. I personally stay away.

    Take anything I say with a grain of salt, I am just as good at losing money as the rest!

  6. Default

    My thoughts on TSLA:

    Right now, Tesla is utterly embroiled in the drama surrounding the massive pay package for Elon Musk. This was totally approved by shareholders and the board in 2018 and was only to be paid out if the company reached certain metrics, which they did. According to that agreement, he is entitled to this pay package. Should the shareholders vote now to deny that payout, the danger to the stock value is that Musk could, as a result of said denial, turn his efforts away from Tesla and more toward his current AI and SpaceX endeavors. A Tesla without Musk absolutely loses its market premium.

    The EV space is far more crowded now, and Chinese companies like BYD are producing arguably better vehicles, at a cheaper price point, which threatens any further global reach. With growth being a key focal point, it's worth pausing to see how this plays out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    yo mama
    Posts
    5,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Furryrat View Post
    The EV space is far more crowded now, and Chinese companies like BYD are producing arguably better vehicles, at a cheaper price point, which threatens any further global reach. With growth being a key focal point, it's worth pausing to see how this plays out.
    Unrelated to stocks but I’ve been hearing this for years now that China is way ahead of the rest of the world on manufacturing quality inexpensive EVs. I’m not sure why they haven’t yet exported to the U.S., but it’s expected to disrupt the domestic automotive industry much like Japan did in the 70s & 80s.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage View Post
    So I've been getting more and more lately into trading stocks. I know we have a number of intelligent and financially savvy folks here, so I would love to benefit from your knowledge.

    I'll start with some investments I've made over the past few years (winners and losers).

    Boring answer, put your money in any fund that tracks the S&P 500 then forget about it, unless the US collapses you're in not going to lose your money and if it does collapse you'll have larger things to worry about.

  9. Default

    I got into VRTX last week as another pharma fat drug company. Doing ok but worried I may have gotten in too late.
    Also got into HIMS, they are coming out/are out with compounded fat shots. I'm a huge believer that these drugs will change the world. They'll impact food production, fast food, soft drinks, candy, clothing, etc.
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/
    Click the link above to see how much you owe the government.

    "Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."
    -Superracist, Joe Biden

    ďIf you donít believe in free speech for people who you disagree with, and even hate for what they stand for, then you donít believe in free speech.Ē
    -My favorite liberal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •