Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Level Wizard Guide?

Don't worry about training in CM unless the training points are readily available. The cost for CM is high for a pure. A wizard is better off training up their perception 2x over even worry about starting CM simply based on the fact that CM/Perception/PF/Dodge are all weighted the same for SMR defense. It's more cost effective to train perception 2x first for a pure over trying to train up CM or Dodge ranks. Once you finish maxing out your perception ranks (most likely done sometime after you've capped) that is when I'd start looking to hoarding training points to put up CM and once you max out CM then look to training in Dodge since that one is very expensive for wizards.

In terms of training it should be something similar to what kutter posted for a standard pure build.

Spell ranks can vary from build to build, even with basic pure builds. Most will stop at 76 for MnE and then split the difference between MjE and Wiz spells however they see fit.

Code:
      Shield Use.........................|     201     101
      Brawling...........................|     201     101
      Physical Fitness...................|     201     101
      Spell Aiming.......................|     302     202
      Harness Power......................|     201     101
      Elemental Mana Control.............|     201     101
      Perception.........................|     201     101
      Climbing...........................|     150      50
      Swimming...........................|     150      50

Spell Lists
      Major Elemental....................|             100

Spell Lists
      Minor Elemental....................|              75

Spell Lists
      Wizard.............................|             128
    My wizards look like this and they do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ctcassiel View Post
    Gremlocks in Ta'Illistim, I'm using huntpro which is choosing earthen fury (917) and minor water (903) at the moment.
    I'm pretty sure 909 TAP/STOMP doesn't require earth lore to work, in which case if you're using 917, keep a CHANNELed 909 active, and do a TAP or STOMP to knock them down for 0 RT before casting 917. 917 hits harder vs. prone stuff. A macro that's like TAP\R INCANT 917\R will do the job good enough.

I'd probably put those 10 air lore ranks into fire for now too to unlock Minor Steam. Minor Water is pretty weak but Minor Steam hits a lot harder for 1 extra mana.

For the rest, pretty much follow kutter's build. Though I recommend 15 armor ranks for double leather, but that's just personal preference. Full or doubles are fine either way. Getting one shotted in the face is annoying in fulls, but so is 4% spell hindrance in doubles.

Switch your spell ranks to 1x Major Elemental too for 513 bolt AS bonus like Realk said. Stop Minor Elemental at 75, and put whatever's leftover into Wizard if you want to enchant, though 101 ranks should be fine for most items up to 7x.

End result should 75 MnE and then 101/127 for the other 2 circles. It shouldn't make a big difference on any of your skills/spells for which one has 101 and which has 127 because of diminishing returns.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    IThough I recommend 15 armor ranks for double leather, but that's just personal preference. Full or doubles are fine either way. Getting one shotted in the face is annoying in fulls, but so is 4% spell hindrance in doubles.
    I used doubles for like my first 30 trains but if that 4% is random, then I am a three legged monkey, it seems happen way more often one cast in 25, so I got fulls and started adding padding, think I am up to 10pts of crit and damage each now and got a potion to raise them to 8 the last Duskruin, hopefully that will help.

If I were to go back to using doubles I would make friends with a paladin for the hindrance reduction, even a 2% reduction is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    I used doubles for like my first 30 trains but if that 4% is random, then I am a three legged monkey, it seems happen way more often one cast in 25, so I got fulls and started adding padding, think I am up to 10pts of crit and damage each now and got a potion to raise them to 8 the last Duskruin, hopefully that will help.

If I were to go back to using doubles I would make friends with a paladin for the hindrance reduction, even a 2% reduction is a lot.
    I don't buy into any of those spell hindrance numbers either, or at least the so called RNG behind it. Shit procs way too much to be such a low percentage. Whoever came up with that needs to go hit up the roulette wheel.

In other news, they still haven't fixed the 909 CHANNEL spell hindrance bug that gives you 3 seconds of hard RT. And they probably never will because Simu.

I only put up with it because mine have a ton of padding, and when I do use fulls, random open roll SMR attack seems to always hit me in the face.
    Last edited by Methais; 04-01-2024 at 03:48 PM.
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.

I don't buy into any of those spell hindrance numbers either, or at least the so called RNG behind it. Shit procs way too much to be such a low percentage. Whoever came up with that needs to go hit up the roulette wheel.

In other news, they still haven't fixed the 909 CHANNEL spell hindrance bug that gives you 3 seconds of hard RT. And they probably never will because Simu.

I only put up with it because mine have a ton of padding, and when I do use fulls, random open roll SMR attack seems to always hit me in the face.
    Oh I am all to familiar with channeling tremors, my UAC wizard uses it each time the combo script starts so that 3 seconds sucks when he has to renew it in the middle of a fight, fortunately he hunts with my pure so it is rare that it is an issue, but it is still annoying as hell.

Yeah, there is nothing random about SIMU's RNG, if I was not a lazy POS I would look at my logs to see how many failures you actually get but like I said, I am way to lazy for that.

Oh I am all to familiar with channeling tremors, my UAC wizard uses it each time the combo script starts so that 3 seconds sucks when he has to renew it in the middle of a fight, fortunately he hunts with my pure so it is rare that it is an issue, but it is still annoying as hell.

Yeah, there is nothing random about SIMU's RNG, if I was not a lazy POS I would look at my logs to see how many failures you actually get but like I said, I am way to lazy for that.
    I can't count how many times I've gotten spell hindrance from rolling a 1 three times in a row on a d100 roll, which are pretty astronomical odds. But it happens fairly regularly.

Know what doesn't happen though? Rolling 100 3x in a row. Like ever.

Bolting in doubles is like:

Hindrance
    Hindrance
    Fumble
    E/B/P
    E/B/P
    Hindrance

Fortunately Rapid Fire is an excellent crutch.

I can't count how many times I've gotten spell hindrance from rolling a 1 three times in a row on a d100 roll, which are pretty astronomical odds. But it happens fairly regularly.

Know what doesn't happen though? Rolling 100 3x in a row. Like ever.

Bolting in doubles is like:

Hindrance
    Hindrance
    Fumble
    E/B/P
    E/B/P
    Hindrance

Fortunately Rapid Fire is an excellent crutch.
    What's worse when bolting is also using 909 to put a target prone and they still E/B/P my bolts.

My understanding is when a target is prone the E/B/P % drops by half. Then if you train in Earth Lore and gain the extra E/B/P % reduction, it is supposed to stack on top of that 50% penalty when the target is prone (at least that is what I was told years ago on the old official forums by the GMs). If you're rocking say, 85 EL:E that's 10% E/B/P penalty on top of the 50% for being prone......

Sadly, though, even with all that penalty for E/B/P I still have targets rolling/dodging/blocking bolts left and right. But as soon as they stand up they get blasted to hell with the first bolt I cast at them.

The spell hindrance and RNG is odd as fuck.

My redux mage has 9% in studded leather. There are times I have to recast 506/902/909 3 or 4 times because I roll a 9 or lower. Other times I'll go through multiple hunts and never see it trigger.

One time I ran around in chainmail (45% hinderance) just for the hell of it to see how things worked out. I did two hunts, needing to recast 902 a few times and 506 probably a good dozen+ times and the couple of 909 casts and not once did I get hit with a failed cast due to spell hindrance. Then when standing in town and casting spells for defense nearly every time I cast I was hit with the spell hindrance.

Quote Originally Posted by drumpel View Post
    What's worse when bolting is also using 909 to put a target prone and they still E/B/P my bolts.

My understanding is when a target is prone the E/B/P % drops by half. Then if you train in Earth Lore and gain the extra E/B/P % reduction, it is supposed to stack on top of that 50% penalty when the target is prone (at least that is what I was told years ago on the old official forums by the GMs). If you're rocking say, 85 EL:E that's 10% E/B/P penalty on top of the 50% for being prone......

Sadly, though, even with all that penalty for E/B/P I still have targets rolling/dodging/blocking bolts left and right. But as soon as they stand up they get blasted to hell with the first bolt I cast at them.
    My favorite is when they're stunned and still manage to E/B/P repeatedly.