Thread: Bolting Druid/Ranger

Default Bolting Druid/Ranger

Has anyone managed to get this to work past lvl 20? Combat is much less tedious than the last time I played a ranger at this level but I'm wondering how long it's going to be viable. Bards have access to 425 and 1007 to significantly boost their bolting, I played that for a while before changing to 1030 spam, is there anything other than 650 wolf, outside spells, ascension/enhancives I'm overlooking?

Never tried bolting as a Ranger, those spells came after my Ranger was already capped.

My Ranger hunted with just 616 after about level 30 or 40 though.

3. Default Bolting Druid/Ranger

If you’re on Discord, there is a forum topic on this question. The general conclusion is that it’s not a great/viable build for leveling, but workable as a novelty post-cap.
    Last edited by Leff; 03-31-2024 at 07:27 PM.

I did a bit of reading and apparently the Tangleweed (610) debuff and Nature's Touch (625) now gives a chance to add to your bolt AS as well. Moonbeam (611) the 5 mana version also gives a massive debuff, I think it's like -100 general defence so I'm going to see how long this build holds out!

I also think 603 needs an evoked bolt version, I'd just copy and paste 904 making it nature dmg using the disintegration crit table for 5 mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I did a bit of reading and apparently the Tangleweed (610) debuff and Nature's Touch (625) now gives a chance to add to your bolt AS as well. Moonbeam (611) the 5 mana version also gives a massive debuff, I think it's like -100 general defence so I'm going to see how long this build holds out!

I also think 603 needs an evoked bolt version, I'd just copy and paste 904 making it nature dmg using the disintegration crit table for 5 mana.
    610 requires you to have 10 blessing lore to unlock the +25 AS buff.

625 procs +AS buff on spell casts, and that AS only applies to physical attacks. The counterpart is spell haste procs from physical attacks.

I'm fully trained in Spell Aiming on my ranger, and I mess around with in in the Hinterwilds from time to time (with full +SA enhancives and bunches of buffs) - and it's only okay. The main problems with it are pretty much the universal problem of bolting - it's just not that good by itself. Wizards get away with it because of 515 and big AS. Without both of those, you're chasing suboptimal hunting methods.

So with that said, if you're determined to make it work definitely seek out 211/513. Thankfully 614 makes it pretty easy to get both (just get some cleric/wizard friends to imbed a bunch of rods). You can get double the MIU bonus at 40 blessing lore to make them last longer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    610 requires you to have 10 blessing lore to unlock the +25 AS buff.

625 procs +AS buff on spell casts, and that AS only applies to physical attacks. The counterpart is spell haste procs from physical attacks.

I'm fully trained in Spell Aiming on my ranger, and I mess around with in in the Hinterwilds from time to time (with full +SA enhancives and bunches of buffs) - and it's only okay. The main problems with it are pretty much the universal problem of bolting - it's just not that good by itself. Wizards get away with it because of 515 and big AS. Without both of those, you're chasing suboptimal hunting methods.

So with that said, if you're determined to make it work definitely seek out 211/513. Thankfully 614 makes it pretty easy to get both (just get some cleric/wizard friends to imbed a bunch of rods). You can get double the MIU bonus at 40 blessing lore to make them last longer too.
    That makes 625 a little bit meh, 611/616 combo is obviously better but it's a bit of a one trick pony, what I like about bolting is that you have an enormous choice of different flavours of wands. I also think wands also need a bit of updating, coral wands were added for steam but I'd like to see all the other evoked bolts have their respective wands made via alchemy or dropped from the treasure system.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    That makes 625 a little bit meh, 611/616 combo is obviously better but it's a bit of a one trick pony, what I like about bolting is that you have an enormous choice of different flavours of wands. I also think wands also need a bit of updating, coral wands were added for steam but I'd like to see all the other evoked bolts have their respective wands made via alchemy or dropped from the treasure system.
    625 is definitely reinforcing the intended semi build, where you'd weave between physical and magical attacks throughout a given encounter. I am all for any updates to support ranger bolting though, in particular I'd love a 609 bolt to relive my boomkin days with the sunbeam/moonbeam combo. Even with the 111 overlap. The 603 idea has certainly been floated before in various forms as well, and would be a great supplement

The recent updates to 118 actually add some interesting interplay with bolting, since it's quite a bit easier to land as an SMR attack now. Follow it up with 111 to ignite it.