Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GMs giving up on silvers?

They should just make more gowns and pets and shit.. Girls pay way to much to that crap.

For years the Simu response to people asking for a full time paid coder to work on the game has been "But that wouldn't be fair to the GMs! They don't get paid!"

Now GMs are apparently better paid than actual paid employees of Simu. So what is their excuse now for not hiring a full time paid coder to work on the game? Like, just straight work on the game, not put off shit because they don't feel like it, not only work on their pet projects, not get pulled away every damn month to work on yet another paid event.

They have no excuse, but the player base seems to be okay with the current state of work being done on the game I guess.
    Last edited by Tgo01; 10-24-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    I don't disagree. I'm just saying that P2W GMs can make a killing from the sound of it, and not really "beer and pizza" money like what used to be the case.

I edited the previous post to include Wyrom's Discord post after I found it.

I have no clue what Wyrom makes. It's more than an entry level math instructor at a college. 4% raises most years is barely more than a cost of living adjustment. Over the last 10 years, the average cost of living adjustment for Social Security has worked out to 2.75% per year. That's Social Security adjustments so on the lower end. I'm guessing Wyrom's "raises" work out to about the same and he's making the same amount as he did year 1 when you factor in cost of living.

My god. He's in charge of balancing the economy.

So my bad, maybe? I don't know how many hours the GM's work that make more than Wyrom pulls in or what their various skillsets are. I'm sure most programming jobs pay better than what a staff GM at Simu is making. Also, Wyrom is probably counting the lockdown year in that statement where profit was unreasonably high.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tgo01 View Post
    For years the Simu response to people asking for a full time paid coder to work on the game has been "But that wouldn't be fair to the GMs! They don't get paid!"

Now GMs are apparently better paid than actual paid employees of Simu. So what is their excuse now for not hiring a full time paid coder to work on the game? Like, just straight work on the game, not put off shit because they don't feel like it, not only work on their pet projects, not get pulled away every damn month to work on yet another paid event.

They have no excuse, but the player base seems to be okay with the current state of work being done on the game I guess.
    Honest question. If you owned Microsoft, would you still hire coders to make updates to Windows 3.1?

Also

If you were a coder would you waste your time going to work writing code for a no-name text based game or Activision?

The first comment I get from people when I link them to GSIV is "Jesus, this homepage looks like it's from the 90's"

It was over when SIMU lost the race in 2005.
    Last edited by Neveragain; 10-24-2023 at 05:25 PM.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. ~ Marcus Aurelius
    “It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    Honest question. If you owned Microsoft, would you still hire coders to make updates to Windows 3.1?
    If Windows 3.1 still made money I would. I get that GS is a dinosaur, but it's a dinosaur that is still pulling in millions of dollars a year, or whatever the amount is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
    I have no clue what Wyrom makes. It's more than an entry level math instructor at a college. 4% raises most years is barely more than a cost of living adjustment. Over the last 10 years, the average cost of living adjustment for Social Security has worked out to 2.75% per year. That's Social Security adjustments so on the lower end. I'm guessing Wyrom's "raises" work out to about the same and he's making the same amount as he did year 1 when you factor in cost of living.

My god. He's in charge of balancing the economy.

So my bad, maybe? I don't know how many hours the GM's work that make more than Wyrom pulls in or what their various skillsets are. I'm sure most programming jobs pay better than what a staff GM at Simu is making. Also, Wyrom is probably counting the lockdown year in that statement where profit was unreasonably high.
    I have no clue either, I'd guess 50-70k per year give or take, but that's just a wild guess that's not based on anything at all.

Probably safe to say it's at least 12k though.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

If they offered Wyrom 12k a year it really makes me wonder how much Solomon got paid, because I seem to recall he bitched about his pay and how shitty he was treated after he was fired/quit/whatever happened to him.

But back then people generally looked at GH/GMing as like a supplemental income type "job" playing a game that you loved. I'm not so sure it's that anymore but 12k a year to someone you know has a family they're trying to support is pretty nuts even 10 years ago
    R.I.P. Bushido Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    But back then people generally looked at GH/GMing as like a supplemental income type "job" playing a game that you loved. I'm not so sure it's that anymore but 12k a year to someone you know has a family they're trying to support is pretty nuts even 10 years ago
    10 years ago you could make more than that just farming silver. I think 2017 was the last time I remember silvers going for $10 per. I could pull in 100m a month just solo farming the Confluence around that time.
    Discord: 3PiecesOfToast
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Methais View Post
    10 years ago you could make more than that just farming silver. I think 2017 was the last time I remember silvers going for $10 per. I could pull in 100m a month just solo farming the Confluence around that time.
    To be fair you could make that working at McDonalds too
    R.I.P. Bushido Brown