Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game/Website down?

Default Game/Website down?

Can't get into the game and going to play.net comes up with an error. I rarely use discord, so haven't heard anything.
    Freedom... is the ability to challenge yourself far beyond the constraints of traditional rule and order. We draw strength from our passions... we're driven by desire... even hatred can be a worthy ally when used against an enemy... and yet, we are told to turn our backs on these things... the very feelings, emotions... that make us all... human.

Well I have not been able to get in since around 1 AM

Just saw this on discord:

Wyrom — Today at 3:21 AM
    Hey everyone, we had multiple drives fail around 1am ET on August 3rd. We've been working on it for the last 3 hours, but it's looking like we will be down for the rest of the night and into the morning while we rebuild the drives and get things back up and running. If you're currently logged in, you will be able to stay in, but access to the game and website are down until we can fix this. My recommendation is to log out, as most staff can't get into the game either to help should anything go wrong.
    Last edited by kutter; 08-03-2023 at 10:36 AM.

What can cause multiple drive failures at once? (arent each drive a separate independent device?)

I know a fire or flood can make multiple drives fail at once, but I can't think of what else.
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by gilchristr View Post
    What can cause multiple drive failures at once? (arent each drive a separate independent device?)

I know a fire or flood can make multiple drives fail at once, but I can't think of what else.
    AC going out in the server room and they overheat. In my line of work that has been the cause of outages from one of our data centers.

Blog Entries

They did 'server maintenance' a couple days ago.

I bet somebody messed something up.
    You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 113 months behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    AC going out in the server room and they overheat. In my line of work that has been the cause of outages from one of our data centers.
    Those poor gerbils....Simu must be hitting up all the local pet shops trying to find enough replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Taernath View Post
    They did 'server maintenance' a couple days ago.

I bet somebody messed something up.
    It's possible, but sometimes weird shit happens with computers.

Last week there was a very unexpected power outage in my neighborhood. Power was out for a solid square mile or more in the area. The weather outside was decent, maybe 80 degrees so houses and businesses weren't stressing the electrical grid trying to keep AC running constantly. Just a nice, sunny day out and big BOOM! off in the distance, soon followed by sirens. took about an hour for the power to get restored. Anyway.....

When bad weather comes around I always power down my computers and unplug them from the outlets to prevent any sudden loss of power to cause problems, but I couldn't do that with the random power outage that just happened. When power came back up two of my three computers would power on, my third (my server) wouldn't. I run a couple of games off it that my brother and I play and it houses thousands of movies/TV shows I run through Plex and is backup for pictures/videos from over the years.

I pulled it all apart and it came down to being a MB issue or a PSU issue. I pulled out a spare PSU and slowly got to testing everything out and put it all back together and everything works on the new PSU. I just need to buy a new spare PSU now....

A couple years ago when I moved, I took great care with my computers when moving. I handled them, I transported them in my vehicle and I looked things over before trying to power them up - everything looked good. My main gaming rig worked just fine for a few weeks when one day there was no signal on the monitor when I turned it on. Come to find out the GPU shifted out of the PCIE slot just enough that it finally lost connectivity. I had to reseat the GPU and things we good.

I worked tech support for years and I've seen power do funky shit to equipment from blowing out USB ports, taking whole systems out and even causing touch screen monitors to fail. I think the most interesting one I had to help fix was from a lightning strike taking out every NIC that was connected to the network in the store on every device. Switch was fried, modem was fried, router was fried and every device connected to the network had the NIC fried. The computers worked just fine, but the NIC was toast in all of them.

all signs point to the hamster getting his ball sack entangled in the wheel, again
    Your mind is completely fucked. It is imperative that you unfuck immediately!

9. Default

Seems to be down again?

Just went back up again.