Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: House to Vote Against Transgender Athletes

Quote Originally Posted by Solkern View Post
    I respectfully disagree, chess is indeed a sport, and by your definition, you can see the grey area involved.
    A sport is a contested event, while physical exertion is needed by your definition, it comes by, how much physical exertion is required to be classified as a sport. That’s the problem.
    Exertion is the physical or perceived use of energy.

Wouldn’t moving a chess piece be considered this? Lol
    Thank you for being respectful. It’s ok that you disagree and are wrong. Lol

But seriously you lefties are killing me with your wishy-washy anybody can be anything / I can’t tell you the definition of a woman / Clinton “what is is?” logic. Chess is not a sport. The board game Monopoly is not a sport. Gemstone IV is not a sport. We don’t call people who play those games athletes just because they have to move a piece or type on a keyboard.

It’s a shame we need to even have this discussion. Honestly we shouldn’t have to legislate this kind of bullshit either, but you people (respectfully and sincerely) are fucking it up. It’s not sexist, or non-inclusive, or transphobic, or whatever other nonsense to say that a person born with a cock & balls shouldn’t be allowed to compete in sports leagues designed for people born with a pussy & tiddies for very obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    Thank you for being respectful. It’s ok that you disagree and are wrong. Lol

But seriously you lefties are killing me with your wishy-washy anybody can be anything / I can’t tell you the definition of a woman / Clinton “what is is?” logic. Chess is not a sport. The board game Monopoly is not a sport. Gemstone IV is not a sport. We don’t call people who play those games athletes just because they have to move a piece or type on a keyboard.

It’s a shame we need to even have this discussion. Honestly we shouldn’t have to legislate this kind of bullshit either, but you people (respectfully and sincerely) are fucking it up. It’s not sexist, or non-inclusive, or transphobic, or whatever other nonsense to say that a person born with a cock & balls shouldn’t be allowed to compete in sports leagues designed for people born with a pussy & tiddies for very obvious reasons.
    The IOC has acknowledged it as such, and since they are the closest thing to an official global body for sport governance, their ruling is pretty clear.
    Of course, "sport" means different things to different people. I did some research in the early 2000's in order to ascertain the support chess was getting from various National Olympic Committees post-recognition of chess as a sport by the IOC. The lessons were pretty interesting.
    First of all, it is worth noting that chess is a medal sport at some NOC competitions such as the Asian Games. People have won medals in official IOC events for playing chess. (This had a tendency of shocking most people, by the way.)
    Second, "Sport" clearly means different things to different cultures. In the native English-speaking countries (United States, Canada, United Kingdom) and other places like Scandinavia, "Sport" is taken by most people to refer to "Athletic Competition". As such, chess does not qualify by most people's definitions. In Russia, Chess most certainly was considered "спорт", which referred more to "Competition" in general, without concern for whether or not athletic prowess was part of the conversation. I found that in the rest of the world, "Sport" didn't have as strong an athletic overtone as it did to native English speakers.
    I'd also like to pull up an Oxford English Dictionary definition for sport (#4), including the notes:
    a. An activity involving physical exertion and skill, esp. (particularly in modern use) one regulated by set rules or customs in which an individual or team competes against another or others. Freq. in pl. In early use the sense of ‘sport’ as a diversion or amusement is paramount; by the 18th and 19th centuries the term was often used with reference to hunting, shooting, and fishing (see blood, field sports at the first element). The consolidation of organized sport (particularly football, rugby, cricket, and athletics) in the 19th cent. reinforced the notion of sport as physical competition (for contact, motor-, racket, spectator, team, water sport, etc., see the first element).
    b. In pl. An occasion on which people compete in various athletic or other sporting activities. Cf. game n. 4b. In early use freq. referring to the ancient Olympic Games.
    c. Participation in activities involving physical exertion and skill, (now) esp. competitive activities regulated by set rules or customs; such activities collectively.
    As you can see, chess qualifies as a sport, most certainly under 4b and 4c as it is most certainly under "other sporting activities" and a "competitive activity regulated by set rules or customs". However, it most certainly does not qualify as a sport under 4a. I suspect the following passage gives you the clear clue:
    "The consolidation of organized sport (particularly football, rugby, 
cricket, and athletics) in the 19th cent. reinforced the notion of sport
as physical competition (for contact, motor-, racket, spectator, team, 
water sport, etc., see the first element)."
    So, it's a sport if you define sport as a "competitive activity regulated by set rules or customs", and it isn't if you define it as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill". The IOC, however, says it is a sport, so I'll use that as the tiebreaker for now.

(Stole this from a persons post, as I was too lazy to write this all out and this is pretty much what I agree with)

A sport is considered a competition of skills. Monopoly and gemstone are not a skill based game. It’s a luck based game. I think chess is the only sport/game where luck plays no role.

Regarding your other comment about gender, I don’t believe in this gender bullshit. You are a man or a woman, and nothing you can do will change that.

Men should not compete in woman’s sports and other activities designed for women. I don’t give a flying fuck what you identify as. I think we need to stop promoting this gender shit. 30-40 years ago we didn’t have this fucking issue and no one have a fuck. But all these ultra left liberal pieces of shit keep pushing this worthless agenda, and giving us non crazy liberals a bad name.

I’m liberal, but I don’t agree with everything. I disagree with my fair bit.
    Last edited by Solkern; 04-20-2023 at 11:07 PM.
    The idiot award goes to…

Quote Originally Posted by Neveragain View Post
    The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

The IOC has acknowledged it as such, and since they are the closest thing to an official global body for sport governance, their ruling is pretty clear.
    Of course, "sport" means different things to different people. I did some research in the early 2000's in order to ascertain the support chess was getting from various National Olympic Committees post-recognition of chess as a sport by the IOC. The lessons were pretty interesting.
    First of all, it is worth noting that chess is a medal sport at some NOC competitions such as the Asian Games. People have won medals in official IOC events for playing chess. (This had a tendency of shocking most people, by the way.)
    Second, "Sport" clearly means different things to different cultures. In the native English-speaking countries (United States, Canada, United Kingdom) and other places like Scandinavia, "Sport" is taken by most people to refer to "Athletic Competition". As such, chess does not qualify by most people's definitions. In Russia, Chess most certainly was considered "спорт", which referred more to "Competition" in general, without concern for whether or not athletic prowess was part of the conversation. I found that in the rest of the world, "Sport" didn't have as strong an athletic overtone as it did to native English speakers.
    I'd also like to pull up an Oxford English Dictionary definition for sport (#4), including the notes:
    a. An activity involving physical exertion and skill, esp. (particularly in modern use) one regulated by set rules or customs in which an individual or team competes against another or others. Freq. in pl. In early use the sense of ‘sport’ as a diversion or amusement is paramount; by the 18th and 19th centuries the term was often used with reference to hunting, shooting, and fishing (see blood, field sports at the first element). The consolidation of organized sport (particularly football, rugby, cricket, and athletics) in the 19th cent. reinforced the notion of sport as physical competition (for contact, motor-, racket, spectator, team, water sport, etc., see the first element).
    b. In pl. An occasion on which people compete in various athletic or other sporting activities. Cf. game n. 4b. In early use freq. referring to the ancient Olympic Games.
    c. Participation in activities involving physical exertion and skill, (now) esp. competitive activities regulated by set rules or customs; such activities collectively.
    As you can see, chess qualifies as a sport, most certainly under 4b and 4c as it is most certainly under "other sporting activities" and a "competitive activity regulated by set rules or customs". However, it most certainly does not qualify as a sport under 4a. I suspect the following passage gives you the clear clue:
    So, it's a sport if you define sport as a "competitive activity regulated by set rules or customs", and it isn't if you define it as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill". The IOC, however, says it is a sport, so I'll use that as the tiebreaker for now.

(Stole this from a persons post, as I was too lazy to write this all out and this is pretty much what I agree with)

A sport is considered a competition of skills. Monopoly and gemstone are not a skill based game. It’s a luck based game. I think chess is the only sport/game where luck plays no role.

Regarding your other comment about gender, I don’t believe in this gender bullshit. You are a man or a woman, and nothing you can do will change that.

Men should not compete in woman’s sports and other activities designed for women. I don’t give a flying fuck what you identify as. I think we need to stop promoting this gender shit. 30-40 years ago we didn’t have this fucking issue and no one have a fuck. But all these ultra left liberal pieces of shit keep pushing this worthless agenda, and giving us non crazy liberals a bad name.

No one gives a fuck how many people agree, it's still wrong. Once upon a time, almost all people agreed that slavery was ok. Once upon a time, almost all people agreed women were less than men. Once upon a time, everyone knew the earth was flat and so on. Arguing to the masses is crap.

As to the rest, you are right, the far Leftist crap sacks have ruined it for everyone and it's going to take a lot of blood to fix it which is sad.
    I asked for neither your Opinion,
    your Acceptance
    nor your Permission.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." Dante Alighieri 3
    "It took 2000 mules to install one Jackass." Diamond and Silk Watch the Movie

1) This…is…’Murica! I know that you sir care deeply about the opinions of the international community, but ‘round here, in the greatest country on planet Earth, Chess is not a sport. Football is a sport. And not that gay ass futbol aka soccer BS either.

2) The second part, hell yeah. I got plenty of family and friends that are liberal as you described. Hell, my wife is what I would call a classical liberal. I won’t agree with you on a lot of things but I respect that different point of view. I may lean conservative but I’m not a crazy fascist either. For instance, our Texas Senate just passed a bill that our public schools must prominently display the 10 Commandments…that ain’t right. I’d really like us to steer back to some normalcy & focus on fixing the problems we can agree on that really matter instead of constant culture wars meant to divide us.
    Last edited by Suppressed Poet; 04-21-2023 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressed Poet View Post
    2) The second part, hell yeah. I got plenty of family and friends that are liberal as you described. Hell, my wife is what I would call a classical liberal. I won’t agree with you on a lot of things but I respect that different point of view. I may lean conservative but I’m not a crazy fascist either. For instance, our Texas Senate just passed a bill that our public schools must prominently display the 10 Commandments…that ain’t right. I’d really like us to steer back to some normalcy & focus on fixing the problems we can agree on that really matter instead of constant culture wars meant to divide us.
    Especially these pronoun shit. I don’t care what you want to be called. I’ll call you whatever the fuck I want. Your feelings don’t matter to me. I refuse to go along with it to promote this absolute ridiculousness.
    We have more pressing issues in our country then your god damn butthurt feelings. Maybe if they stop making a big fucking deal about it, nobody is going to care and it wouldn’t be a big deal. They are stirring the pot themselves.

And futbol is gay.

Regarding chess, I guess it depends on what you define a sport as, is it a competition based on skill, or is an athletic competition?
    Last edited by Solkern; 04-21-2023 at 06:38 AM.
    The idiot award goes to…

The Constitution is not the Declaration of Independence. (I'm not at all surprised that you don't know this)
    An hour later:
    "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government." ~ The Constitution

Regarding chess, I guess it depends on what you define a sport as, is it a competition based on skill, or is an athletic competition?
    So Nascar isn't a sport? How about drone races, or RC car races? Robot boxing?

How about starcraft league competitions, or any other video game?

Shooting competitions?

Elimination ladders exist for all these things, prizes are awarded for who came out on top. Kinda seems like the same thing to me, who cares if it ruffles your feathers to see sport used to describe it.
    Make Shattered a $5 stand-alone subscription

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaalizmo View Post
    So Nascar isn't a sport? How about drone races, or RC car races? Robot boxing?

How about starcraft league competitions, or any other video game?

Shooting competitions?

Elimination ladders exist for all these things, prizes are awarded for who came out on top. Kinda seems like the same thing to me, who cares if it ruffles your feathers to see sport used to describe it.

Sorry maybe I should have defined it better. A competition based on skill, with a universally recognized governing body. Shooting yes, video games and board games have RNG, or heavily luck based, which takes away from the skill involved

NASCAR is a sport.
    The idiot award goes to…

An hour later:

Quote Originally Posted by ~Rocktar~ View Post
    Once upon a time, almost all people agreed that slavery was ok. Once upon a time, almost all people agreed women were less than men. Once upon a time, everyone knew the earth was flat and so on. Arguing to the masses is crap.

The current public consensus is always correct. That's why it's so important to influence the current consensus. You can change what is true by convincing enough people. Although that may sound silly, it's currently true.

The real question here, the legal question, is whether or not the bill passed by the House would prohibit transgender boys from competing in girls' chess competitions or any other sport where there is no biological advantage for boys. We already know that it would not prohibit transgender girls from competing in boys' sporting events, regardless of the nature of the event.

Blog Entries

NASCAR isn’t a sport. It is sitting in a car turning left.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam